“Best food in town”

Monk's Rock Coffeehouse and Bookstore
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Kodiak
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Description: Lovely warm atmosphere, perfect place for breakfast or lunch. The friendly environment is so welcoming for families with children, gatherings of friends, and much more. We have extra seating upstairs, so you'll never be without a spot. We roast our own coffee, bake our own break and pastries, use only ORGANIC EGGS AND MILK, and in general, try to create delicious food with love!
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Although we only had a lunch-time sandwich each, this place served the best food we ate during 4 days in Kodiak. The corned beef in my Reuben was moist and plentiful and the sauerkraut full of crunch and flavour. My wife's Maseltov Marvel (basically pastrami on dill rye) was equally impressive. It was slightly strange on entry to see that the coffee shop doubles as a purveyor of Orthodox icons and similar items although having read other TA reviews I now understand why. The young people serving us were exceptionally friendly and a real credit to their community. Had we not been with an organised tour which was trying to spread its custom around as many local businesses as possible we would probably have eaten here every day.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Excellent lunch and dessert in a fun little spot with friendly wait staff. The bread is very good - I had a reuben sandwhich and almond bar for dessert. This restaurant was recommended to us by several local people. I bought a great book about Kodiak Island here as well.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had the soup and a sandwich and both were very good. the place is really charming and very relaxing to be in. the staff couldn't have been more friendly and nice and came out to tell me about where to go and things to see while I am in Kodiak. The soup is very filling so I would suggest having the soup and sharing a sandwich. I will go back before I leave

Reviewed 17 June 2014

A little pricey, but very yummy sandwiches and huge Russian tea, although it was instant. Wish they were open on the weekends. Cute atmosphere.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The place is popular. We had to wait in line to place our order. But the wait was worth it. They make fine sandwiches. The somehow forgot my sister's order, and they quickly made her a deluxe sandwich meal and gave us our money back. I returned the money - they were so nice. Tables downstairs are few, but they have additional tables upstairs in some sort of used clothing shop. If they ask you if you want an upstairs table, wait for a downstairs table to feel connected to the whole experience. You can also do a carry out.