“BEWARE THIS HOTEL”
Review of Alpadze Lou Kra

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Val D'illiez
Alpadze Lou Kra
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Val D'illiez
Oxford, United Kingdom
“BEWARE THIS HOTEL”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I recently made a booking through Expedia for this hotel for myself and my 77 year old mother. The booking was made 5 weeks prior to the date of arrival and the advertisement for the hotel stated in big red letters FREE CANCELLATION and that the credit card was only needed to secure the booking.

An hour after making the booking my mother realised that she had given me the wrong date so I cancelled the hotel. On receiving my credit card statement I realised that the hotel had taken the full amount for the booking so I contacted them and explained that I had cancelled the hotel only an hour after booking and that anyway the booking was 5 weeks away and that the web site stated “free cancellation”.
The hotel employee said that in the small print it states that they are entitled to take 50% and would therefore refund me 50%.

I explained to the hotel manager that I felt this was rather greedy, considering the cancellation had been made within an hour and that the booking was 5 weeks away. The reaction I received was completely intransigent and no effort was made to come to a compromise.

I then made clear that I would be contacting Expedia and writing a review to warn others of this. The Manager/Owner responded by saying that I was making “inappropriate threats”. My response was that as he had chosen to take my money I am perfectly entitled to write a review of his hotel.

He did keep my money hence this review as a warning to others.

I would completely understand that he would need to stick to his policy if I had cancelled a couple of weeks before the stay. However, I cancelled within 1 hour of the booking and explained to the hotel that it was an error. I have also recommended to him that he may like to speak to Expedia about how the hotel is advertised as it clearly states FREE CANCELLATION. However I think the thing I find most appalling is that the manager would accuse someone of “making threats” if they dare to review the service he has offered.

My mother and I did re-book with the correct dates and had a very enjoyable stay at a hotel in the same area. The attitude of this hotel and it’s owner was really disappointing and not very friendly and I would warn anyone intending to book this hotel to beware.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Rev45

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed few nights in this property with a few years old child. Stuff was very welcoming and helpful. However, if you are used to get "US style" service then it was not really helpful.

Public areas looked quite old and had a special smell, probably from times when smoking was allowed inside Room was ok, but small and slightly outdated. The bathroom was obviously renovated few years ago but already a bit worn out. Wellness area looked ok and fitness was few treadmills, so do not expect too much. They do have a good carage where you can park your car if you are wiling to pay extra.

Note that rooms are extremely noisy as you will hear your neighbor snoring as well as all what they say. You will also hear everything from the corridor as well as from outside even if you are at the 3rd level where we were. This was really annoying especially as the hotel is not the cheapest.

In general the village is really small and do not offer too many options for dinner and restaurant at the hotel closing 9:30pm did not help at all. Breakfast at the hotel was basic.

So, if you fancy a budget (not the price) holiday in a isolated small "resort" this is your choice.

Room Tip: As high as possible and far away from the lift and stairs.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FOUNEXGEFI
Switzerland
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed here for a hiking weekend over the summer. The pool and spa amenities are bigger than you'd expect for a mountain chalet type of place. The rooms were clean and fairly modernized. We found the staff (daughters of the owners, I think) very helpful and friendly. I hope to return to try out the place in the winter.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank webname1
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I just spent a weekend at this hotel with my partner and we have to disagree with some of the comments. The staff was very friendly, the pool and sauna were great, the rooms were quite new and clean, we had a nice view on the mountains, a balcony... The food was great too, from fresh croissants to great dinner at the hotel restaurant. We highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yana307
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Rooms: On the pictures it looked all nice and modern, however in the building we where in everything was really old and tired - and in desperate of even repairs. Let alone an overhaul. 2 of the electricity sockets where broken. the bedside lamps didn't work at all, nor did one of the master light switches. In the bathroom - 2 industrial soap dispensers... really? one knob of the water tap just came off all the time, and the cabinet above the sink was rusting. The bed linnnen was run-down... though clean!
I'm sure there must be nicer rooms in the hotel, however - i peaked in when we checked out into other rooms - and they where all the same.
Expect 2 staff members (or perhaps the owners) who where really nice and accommodating, the rest of the staff - where clearly not trained, nor interested of making people feeling welcome. At the bar the guy kept on starting discussion with people who wanted to have a quick pizza - saying it wasn't possible. Sometimes he'd be gone for 15 minutes... nobody knew whereto, or he'd be chatting for the same amount of time just ignoring other people.

The Spa.
Haven't visited the actual spa, but the dressing rooms for the pool have been redone. To be honest. This money could have been better spent on the pool - because this pool is dangerous. On the edges in the corners - the tiles have come up - they have been trying to fix it a bit - but it still is dangerous. The covers on the drains on the side of the pool where in one place partly missing - and of course, as it always goes with kiddies, my daughter fell in with her whole right leg. there where rusty metal screws sticking out - and I don't want to known what would have happened if that would have caught her leg/flesh. Her leg would have been ripped open from top to bottom. With a RUSTY screw!
When we went to the reception to report it - at least we would have expected some interest - but the girl behind the reception (not sure if she wanted to be there at all) just gave us a very lukewarm - I will tell.... and that was all - No compassion - nothing. Needless to say that we left. So if you still have your voucher - some parts are lovely in this place (the restaurant is "quite" good) - please be careful in the pool and don't expect too much.
Would I advise this place to my friends? Definitely NOT.

It seems the owners have tried to get their extra start with a spa and gym - but forgot what really matters

Room Tip: Look for an other hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Martin_d_dxb

Travellers are raving about these Val D'illiez hotels

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We took a few days to escape the city and came to Champoussin with a voucher.
We were welcomed by friendly staff with all the necessary information regarding the hotel and the skiing possibilities with a map of the area.
Bootwarmers in the skiroom were great and we could almost ski out of the hotel, we just had to cross the village road :-)
Diner in the Carnotzet was good in a cosy atmosphere with the fireplace and there was a wide choice of dishes and lots of Valais wines. Afterwards we played pool in the bar with a last drink.
A real break and we enjoyed it a lot. We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marie D
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Our recent 2 night stay using a voucher was a disappointment. All aspects of the voucher were honored, the room was clean and ready, and the meals were decent. However, we found the staff very unhelpful, to the point of rude. If there happened to be someone at the reception desk, which was not the case all the time, they barely offered any help when asked, and we even witnessed them sneering and making faces at other guests. They really seemed put out if we asked for something. The pool was too cold for the children to stay in for more than a few minutes. There was a small play area with a few slides, but the structures seem to have been put away for the season. The restaurant at the hotel appears to be one of 2 restaurants open in the village during the off-season, and the prices are outrageous for the food offered. One would think that if they are offering a voucher during the off-season, they would want to attract return customers, but apparently, they were not interested in this at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
#4 of 9 in Champery
Hotel Suisse
Hotel Suisse
#6 of 9 in Champery

Been to Alpadze Lou Kra? Share your experiences!