“Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coast Mountain Expeditions

Coast Mountain Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mountain vistas, sheltered paddling, stunning campsites, abundant wildlife...the Discovery Islands and Mainland Inlets have it all, and with more than 30 years of kayak expeditions under our belts, we can show you the best of the best! Settle in to our off-grid wilderness lodge for an afternoon of kayak skill and safety training before embarking on your kayaking adventure. Meals (both at the lodge and around the campfire) are prepared with organic produce fresh from our garden, eggs from our chickens, local seafood, and home-baked goods. We offer fun and rewarding adventured for all kayaking and fitness abilities. New kayakers are welcome but we also offer exciting challenges for experienced paddlers. We use high quality equipment and our certified kayak guides are friendly, experienced and professional.
Edmonton
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

A perfect day outing, beginning with the awesome drive through the pristine Quadra Island forest. This was only the second time for us in a kayak so we were very appreciative of the professional care and advice from our guide Gwen. She was wonderfully supportive for us and expertly guided us through the amazingly wonderful natural environment. Passing through the the Surge Narrows Marine Park for us was one of those rare experiences that make you forget about everything else. Seals, eagles, urchins, sea cucumbers and sea stars, assorted waterfowl, and fish leaping in the air, to say nothing of the absolutely stunning landscape. Great conversation and quiet times with Gwen. Even some fun with a bit of current. Equipment had us feeling comfortable all day. If you only have time for one kayak trip in the Quadra area, we highly recommend this one and this company. A superlative experience.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank KenDebra

Louisville, Kentucky
“Desolation Sound Kayaking Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

For a family trip to remember your whole life, with everything you imagined and more, I wholeheartedly recommend Coast Mountain Expeditions! (visit their website!) As others have said, correctly, it was amazing: beauty beyond belief, challenging physically, and expertly guided!
We hadn't much, if any, experience with sea kayaks, but became strong and able in their sturdy, super well-built vessels. Our family of 7 had a blast, and we would all highly recommend this for the adventurous, healthy, even pregnant(!), active people, out there, wanting to interact with wilderness, gently, and on nature's terms, as much as possible. Thank you Coast Mountain for making this possible!

Visited June 2014
Berkeley, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Kayaking in the Canadian wilds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Fjordlands Expedition was wild and wet and gorgeous. Invited by friends, I had no idea how beautiful and challenging this kayak trip would be. We started at "home base" on Read Island with organic gardens, sauna, hydro power and composting toilets. It is a Shangri La on an island that requires a boat to get there. We kayaked right out the front dock for several days of wilderness camping and kayaking supported by expert guides who could also cook fabulous food. (note: The Fjordlands Expedition is no longer available because of devastating clear cutting in that area.). It was the most challenging multi day kayak trip I had ever done and I was glad that the guides were so great to help me when I was out of my comfort zone. It all went fabulously and I am looking forward to my next trip: this time the Bears kayaking trip which partners with a First Nation community to kayak AND see grizzlies.

I also visited their second site, Discovery Lodge on Quadra Island, which has both a B&B and day kayaking. it is perfect for families or mixed company when someone is not into kayaking and would prefer to sit by the water and read or hike the island while others spend the day on the water. I have a friend who wants to visit Discovery Lodge because back issues prevent multi day kayaking. I look forward to day trips, again, right out the door into the Canadian wilds.

Visited July 2013
Medicine Hat, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stunning scenery and fantastic guiding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

This September I went kayaking on the Bears Trip (Bute Inlet) with Coast Mountain Expeditions (CME). This was my second trip with them and I thought it time to write up a review. The trip was amazing!! From the scenery and the 10 grizzlies we observed - to the yummy food, the knowledgable guides, and the campfire Robert Service poetry and Bill Reid stories. I can't say enough great things about the company and the experience. I would recommend trips with CME to anyone!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank S R
Edmonton, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Epic Adventure!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

More than a day trip!

In his book, "Delivering Happiness", Tony Hsieh says that life is not about the things you buy, it's about the experiences you share, so for Christmas 2012 I decided to share an unforgettable experience with my kids, and I booked a 6 day kayak trip through Desolation Sound with Coast Mountain Expeditions, and unforgettable it was!
Lannie and Ralph are very gracious hosts. The lodge and accommodations are "rustic" and very beautiful set in the most gorgeous inlet you could imagine. Our guides Albert and Rorey were excellent throughout, even despite the weather and the different abilities of the 9 guests total.
I would recommend this to anyone and would, and likely will, do another trip with them.
Fair warning though...while this trip is rated as suitable for beginners, this particular trip can be challenging, so be prepared for an epic adventure.

Also...while the meals were very good and nourishing, I would recommend that if you're a meat lover like me, you should pack some jerky along in your kit bag, I did and glad for it.

Visited August 2013