“Wedding night stay”

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wedding night stay”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

experience overall - excellent
food - excellent catered for everyone in the party, all 6 rooms booked fabulous, staff very friendly and helpful. owner went out of his way to make sure we had a great stay. overall a great experience, most locals made us feel very welcome, thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: parking is an issue if you have more than 2 cars, but is workable
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank terri e

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Just recently returned from an overnight stay at the hotel with my wife and two very bouncy labradors.

Phoned ahead and arranged a room early for a wedding in Gretna, a rather quirky car park/court yard that led to rear door of hotel. Saved me from unloading on the main road which was a plus with the dogs.

Friendly staff on arrival who pointed out a lovely walk along the nearby Esk river for the dogs to stretch their legs after 2 hour drive.

The room was a suprise in that it was well appointed clean bright, I say this because when travelling with the dogs we don't always experience rooms to such a high standard. We did not eat in the hotel so I cannot really comment on the food. The breakfast the following morning was very good again with friendly service.

I live in a very quiet cul de sac and my only gripe and it's not really the hotel's problem was being at the front the road is a bit noisy throughout the night. Having said that I did manage to get to sleep, perhaps a few tots in the bar may have helped (perhaps next time.

Overall a nice pleasant stay in a nice hotel and if ever in the area would certainly use it again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank john g
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

On arriving at the hotel I thought it looked quite basic, but I must say I was genuinely impressed by the hotel staff and their hospitality. We had a double room and it was wonderful, bright and comfortable. I found in a drawer lots of books and literature of the local area and history of Longtown which I found interesting. As a group of bikers on the return journey from Scotland this was a very comfortable place to stay and we were given a nice safe area to store 14 bikes! I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again. Not forgetting the breakfast and waitress who was bright and full of smiles.

Room Tip: I don't think it matters which room you are in, you may still hear farm traffic passing by.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dawn A
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I based myself at the Graham Arms for a week recently so that I could travel around the border area visitng family, a better decision could not have been made! The atmosphere created by the staff (for whom nothing was too much trouble) was fantastic. The big suprise however was the food. I was lucky enough to have time to eat there most evenings and i must say the standard and size of portion was far beyond what you would expect for the price. My favorite has to be the Steak And Ale Pie which i went back for a few times so unfortunately didnt get the chance to sample the full menu :( i guess i'll just have to book in for 2 weeks next time rather than 1!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NixonRichard2013
Faringdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

A lovely, friendly, comfy hotel. The staff were great; attentive and welcoming. The room was a good size (on a corner so lots of windows and views up and down the main road) and comfortable. The food was good value and plenty of choice. And yes, as a bolthole to pop over to Gretna ;-) it was the perfect stay-over. I recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AGSwallow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My friend and I stayed for three nights and felt really comfortable here. My room was basic and clean, the sink was cracked but I could live with that. My friends room was larger and also clean. We both commented on the wonderful shower, one of the best I have ever had in a hotel. The staff are all local and helpful and friendly.
This is a reasonably priced hotel with good food and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank pava186525
hotelownerLongtown, Owner at Graham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Thank you for your review, the cracked sink has been replaced, I will pass on your comments to our staff
Yours
Paul
Leicester UK
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed for one night on probably the hottest day of the year!
The hotel itself is an old building but well looked after and spotlessly clean,the staff are all very pleasant and professional, the food was good at both dinner and breakfast but wow did I have a problem with my room!
It was on the second floor and had three windows and what can only be described as a turret roof above, the sun had obviously been on the room for most of the day and when I entered it was like walking into a fan assisted oven (obviously I am not blaming the hotel for the weather!).
There was little breeze but that would have made no difference as I could only open one of the three windows anyway and that had to be wedged open with a bit of cardboard.
The bed was very comfortable so I chose to ignore the flock wallpaper that reminded me of my favourite curry house and the temperature that was hotter than any curry served there.
Bad mistake! The room stayed warm and the traffic from the main road outside did not abate until around 23.30 and started again around 04:15 after which time I did not get any sleep due to the wedged open window and the fact that most passing traffic was HGV's so loud it sounded like they were in the room with me!
This review may sound a little harsh as I'm sure if my room had been at the rear of the hotel away from the road and in a cooler room or if the good old British weather had been "normal" for the second week of July then my experience would have been different but I can only review as I find.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank china_blue
hotelownerLongtown, Owner at Graham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
I do agree with you when you say you may be a little harsh in your review, I have inspected the room in question and found all the windows do open, although to be fair two are a little stiff, this has been rectified.
As to the heat, if you had mentioned it to a member of staff you would have been provided with a fan or been offered a room at the rear of the hotel.
Yours
Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longtown
Crown & Mitre Hotel
#17 of 20 in Carlisle
The Halston Aparthotel
The Halston Aparthotel
#3 of 20 in Carlisle

Been to Graham Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!