“A decent enough port in a storm”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Briar Lea House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Longtown
Briar Lea House
Ranked #2 of 2 Longtown B&B and Inns
Ascot, United Kingdom
“A decent enough port in a storm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

In terms of beds, bathroom, storage for bicycles, friendliness and breakfast this will meet most people's requirements. The decor is very dated however, so if you're looking for something more modern, keep searching. It is situated about 0.5 miles outside Longtown.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Very clean rooms, comfy beds, superb polite service and the breakfast was excellent, very welcoming, it's just a pity this excellent B&B situated in Longtown which doesn't have the best of reputations, but then again it is farn enough out of town to not be a problem.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Heppy71
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Briar Lea for two nights recently. We stayed in the Garden room, which was comfortable and clean - the en suite bathroom was gorgeous with a large shower and superb spa bath. The owners were very friendly, without being intrusive, and the breakfasts were delicious, with great service, hot delicious food and plently of it!! I would have no hesitation in recommending this guest house to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynn W
Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

My daughter booked 2 rooms at this B&B for our overnight accomodation on our way up to Scotland. We arrived quite late on a Friday evening and the landlady was quite accomodating and explained that on the original booking one room was in a separate part of the house and so we would be separated but she had a family room which adjoined the double room and asked if we would mind the larger room. It was quite late so when she showed us to the rooms we just took what was on offer the inter connected rooms on the ground floor.
Each room smelled a little musty and unused, I don't think they get many guests. The decoration as mentioned in previous posts is quite dated and "twee" with lots of lace and a very sort of hand made feel.
The breakfast was sufficient but I was surprised at having to choose what we wanted to eat as we checked in. Also as mentioned previously breakfast does close early and you are asked to vacate by 10am, is this neccesary as they were not busy by any stretch of the imagination.
Overall it was OK for an overnight stop, not cheap but not too bad.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Good sized room. Light & airy. Some traffic noise. Supposedly pet friendly but there were several signs saying "dogs welcome but not on our lawns or gardens" which left either a muddy field to walk dogs in or the narrow verges of a busy road outside the B&B.

Room Tip: Traffic noise would be less in a room at the back of the house
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Omagh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

My husband, daughter and I stayed in Briar Lea Guest House on 3/8/11 as a stop on our way to the Lake District. We arrived around 8.00pm and were shown to our garden bedroom by the lady owner, when she opened the bedroom door we were met by a moosty smell. The room was clean but the decor and furniture badly need replaced. We were asked immediately to complete a slip to order breakfast, my husband ordered the earliest as he had to go out early, I ordered the latest for my daughter and myself. The next morning I thought the latest was 9.30 and went at this time, the door was locked so I rang the bell, I was greeted by a man telling me I was too late as breakfast was up to 8.45 and everything was locked aaway. He proceded to tell me we needed to be out by 10.00 as cleaners were comming in to clean the room, I said my husband was away out and should be back for 10.00am, he told me I had better ring him and make sure he was back. I accept I made a genuine mistake about the time but felt we could have been offered a cup of tea and toast or cereal. When I was leaving I asked why we were not offered same and he said we did not ask for cereal on our order form. We were the only guests there, I think that says it all. The room was also very noisy from passing traffic. An experience never to be repeated!!

Room Tip: Dont book a room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Therese M

Travellers are raving about these Longtown hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

Well, the owners of this guest house think they have something more to offer their guest than their guest probably cares for and the gentleman will glady preach to you. The decor is twee and tired sort of 'old lady style' and the breakfast mean. That's not all, woe betide any mix up you may have over accomodation or unavoidable last minute changes you may have to make as these owners will most deffinately NOT be forgiving and will happily charge any 'extras' on to your 'given in good faith' credit card. be warned they appear nice on the outside but are happy to push their greed beyond fair reason, as they did with us. Will not be staying again and would deffinately not recomend, you would be better off doing a B&B in Gretna and paying that little extra, especially if your not into 'God' at the breakfast table.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelhardy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longtown
Crown & Mitre Hotel
Premier Inn Carlisle Central North Hotel
Marlborough House
Marlborough House
#7 of 65 in Carlisle

Been to Briar Lea House? Share your experiences!