“You get what you pay for but its not "terrible".”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madawaska
Riverland Lodge & Camp
“You get what you pay for but its not "terrible".”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

OK, so the other 2 reviews on here are for the trailers I cannot speak for those as we(My bf and I) just spent the weekend at the B n B portion. This is no high end b n b by any means but when you are only paying 65 dollars for the night and that includes breakfast(for TWO for the basic queen bed room) then you have to keep your expectations down. For us it was completely fine. We stayed here 2 nights for a dirt biking trail ride event. When you first walk in there is a smell of "old" I guess musty kinda smell, mostly just downstairs on main floor upstairs where the rooms are I didn't noticed it but then maybe my nose had adjusted by the time I got up there. The room was ok, my only complaint would be the top blanket looked like a cat had been sleeping on it(which there was a cat roaming around the house), We just threw the top blanket in the closet immediately like we would do at any level of hotel. The pillows and sheets were fine, soft and comfy, no problem there, mattress was only ok nothing great but we were so exhausted each night we slept fine. Each room has a window mounted modern A/C unit. There is no wifi, no tv, no radio etc but who cares I'm up in Madawaska to be outside and active(again you get what you pay for) There is a balcony upstairs you can sit out outside on. Yes everything needs updating, its old, but everything is usable, the shower was fine, clean, lots of hot water and pressure, It's all we needed nothing more. The breakfast both mornings was good, eggs, bacon, toast, home fries and orange juice and coffee day 1, large homemade waffle, bacon, juice, coffee day two, no complaints we were very full each morning, another guy didn't want the waffle so they made him a hard boiled egg upon request....... The best part about the place was that on the Sunday they didn't make us check out in the morning we rode our dirt bikes all day and at 3pm they let us come back and shower and get changed for our drive home, that was very nice and much appreciated!!

so yah all I can say is "you get what you pay for" ...if your snobby/prissy and want your 4-5 star resorts don't stay here......if your ok with rustic, older, needs updating kinda place but still perfectly usable for a budget price then it will be fine... The grounds are worn down somewhat, playground is lacking, but its nice as its right on the waterfront and we went down to the sandy area and the lake there is great, clean, sandy beach area. Again this is review on the BnB portion not the camp ground or trailers can't comment on those...... I would stay here again next year for this particular weekend dirt bike event no problem..... I would have actually given this place a 3 but 3 denotes average I wouldn't consider it "average" but I also don't really consider it "poor" I would just state "below the average" bnb . I have an open mind and I'm not a picky person as long as everything works, is clean and there is no bugs(which I did not see in the house other then the odd mosquito that got in) and the bed doesn't have a spring in my back I'm fine if the price is cheap. If I was paying 120 a night for this place it would be a horrible deal....but I didn't!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tammie107 .

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had a horrible experience last weekend of September.

This Riverland Bed & Breakfast also have campsite and lodge (trailer).
We booked three bedrooms 3 weeks advance specifically for the Riverland Bed & Breakfast . But when we arrive, those rooms are occupied by other large private group, the host only give us 2 trailers, not only the condition are much worse , they also ask the full price for those 2 trailers which are lot more expensive than what we original order.
The hosts of Riverland Bed & Breakfast are senior couple, but they appear drunk and rude, the word from their mouth are “take it or leave it”, We can’t believe that’s how they treat customer so we decide to leave.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Nick L

Travellers are raving about these Madawaska hotels

Wiarton, Ontario
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We are an older couple who recently took a motorcycle trip through beautiful Algonquin Park with 2 other couples to view the Fall scenery. We expected to acquire lodging in Whitney where we had stayed a few weeks earlier and timed our trip to arrive there just before dark. We arrived to find all of the hotels and motels in the area fully booked, the one and only gas station was closed and 2 of our bikes were nearing empty. A wonderful business owner at Sherry's Pizza, who was just closed when we pulled in, opened back up and turned his ovens back on, to make us a couple of the best, tastiest pizzas we have ever eaten. So few people would do what this owner did for us. He gave us a place to warm up and access to his phone book as well as trying to help us out to find a place to stay. KUDOS TO SHERRY'S PIZZA IN WHITNEY!!!
After a few calls we were able to find availability at Riverland Lodge and Camp in Madawaska. The person on the phone told us that she not only had 3 rooms available for us but would also be able to sell us some gas for our motorcycles in the morning. Price negotiated $175.00 total for all 3 rooms. Between a rock and a hard place and looking at a night sitting on the side of the road, we agreed and used the last of our reserves to drive the extra 20 km. to Riverland Lodge and Camp. We arrived to a completely dark park, while our husbands went up to the Lodge to check in, we 3 wives were confronted by a wild man in a truck who asked 'What do you want?'
After telling him that we were there to check in to our rooms, he left and went up to the lodge to inform our menfolk that IN FACT...there were no rooms, his mother who was suffering from Alzheimers had taken the phone call and all he had available for us was a 3 bedroom 'trailer' that we could rent for $197.50 for the night. We had no choice at this point, in the middle of nowhere, with no gas to get anywhere else, but to pay. BUT at least the price would include breakfast.
The 'trailer' had a bedroom with a double bed, and 2 small cubbies with a set of bunk beds in each. No heat, other than what we were able to get out of the oven and burners on the stove, broken windows and the ones that weren't broken would not close properly. The fridge was moldy and stinky, the sheets on the beds had obviously been used before, blankets covered in dog hair and mouse droppings. There were holes in the floor, signs that the roof leaked....good thing it wasn't raining. There was no t.v. and the place was filthy. I am not a prude but it was so disgustingly dirty that we didn't even want to sit down. Eventually we gave in to fatigue and lay on the top of the beds, fully clothed, lights on to keep the bugs and critters away, fully expecting 'Jason' to rise from the lake and come after us. One couple of our group chose to just sit on the couch and wait for daylight rather than lay down.
On a brighter note...the toilet was clean, the rest of the bathroom was not for the faint of heart, and we drew straws to see which of the 6 of us would get to use the 2 towels that were provided. At 8:00 and with little rest and no sleep we rushed off to take advantage of the 'free breakfast'.
When we entered the 'lodge' which is actually appears quite nice and homey, except for the dead bear on the wall behind the dining table.... which watched us through our entire meal. The waitress, overwhelmed by our arrival, to say the least, showed us to the coffee pot and presented us with the tiniest glass of orange juice. No orders were taken, we weren't asked our preference or given a choice, we were just given plates 2 of us at a time, with 2 undercooked eggs, 3 slices of burnt bacon, and 2 slices of toast. Anxious to depart, some of us ate part of our 'breakfast'. ....... The coffee was good!
As we got ready to leave the waitress brought us out a bill for $48.00 for the meal. It took a great effort on our parts to convince her that the meal was included with our rental of the accommodations the night before.
After 2 of us each purchased a litre of gasoline from the owner, for $1.50, we escaped. NEVER TO RETURN!!!
I can honestly say, that given the same situation at any other time, I would rather take my chances with the wildlife on a roadside rest stop than to ever stay at this place again. When we got home, we removed our clothes outside and headed straight for a long hot shower. I have been scratching my head and swear I can feel my skin crawling a week after the experience. YUK!!

Room Tip: We never seen the rooms in the lodge, but the 2 trailers they have should be condemned not rented.