“The best examine of an English country pub”

Five Bells Inn Brabourne
Ranked #1 of 2 Brabourne B&B and Inns
London
“The best examine of an English country pub”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed in December for a works Xmas dinner. We were greeted by the team and were made to feel extremely welcome as soon as we arrived. The five bells is a beautiful English country pub. Low beams. Warm fires. Unbelievably friendly staff and great ales. We stayed in the largest room which was directly above the bar Incredible attention to detail. Huge copper bath. Beautifully decorated. Great meal that night. Smashing breakfast in what felt like a country kitchen. Only minor point was you could hear bar chatter when in the room above but we were down there anyway so not a worry. There are back rooms too.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Dave W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We have just spent a night at the Five Bells and I can't think of anything negative to say about it. The welcoming atmosphere hits you as soon as you walk into the pub with its open fire and general warmth. The food was excellent with an interesting menu and my husband was over the moon with the choice of interesting beers. The room was absolutely amazing, totall quirky with an open fire and bath tub in the room and lots of interesting bits and pieces. The staff were friendly, the breakfast was delicious, I could go on and on. If you get the chance have a night at the Five Bells.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We're just back from a weekend at The Five Bells. It is simply perfect. The food, the design, the amazing staff. So much passion and energy has gone, and continues to go, into this place. It is unique. Do not hesitate to go.

Room Tip: Don't forget some rooms only have bath tubs.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kent_Dane
Kent, UK
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I don't often leave reviews on here but felt on this occassion I must. We stayed for one night on Saturady 10th October and loved the place.

Upon arrival the staff took our luggage up to our room and invited us to take a seat by one of the open fires in the bar. We had a drink of wine and started to relax. When we were ready we went up to our room (Ortega). WOW. The room was amazing with a fantastic bathroom (check out the pics on the website) and a roaring logfire which had warmed the room nicely. The room is at the front of the pub and has fantastic views over the lovely Kent countryside. Fantastic for a romantic break.

Later we went dowstairs and had a fantastic dinner in the restuarant. The pub was very busy but the service was still very good. We both had three courses and the bill came to about £80 with drinks. When we went back to our room we were able to relax with a bottle of wine and sit by the fire (not having a TV was great as we actually enjoyed each others company!). We had a great nights sleep (but the bed was a bit on the soft side for me) and a great breakfast in the morning. We even had a tray of tea/coffee delievered to our room at a time of our choosing before breakfast!!!

For £120 for the night I found this to be fantastic value. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a room with a log fire!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunseeker78
Essex UK
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed here last month - spent the night in Baccus - what a funky room! The staff were super helpful - the room was perfect - loved the quirkiness of it and plan to go back with friends. The food was excellent - all local produce and wines - this place is owned by an interior designer who has put his own stamp everywhere....I loved it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigbum13
Sutton Scotney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Eaten in this inn a few times in the past first time we have stayed. Stopped over on the Sunday after a long ride . Arrived just as the jazz band were setting up. Stayed in Ortega which is above the band playing area. As previously mentioned you can hear the band and the people in the bar but it is not at all intrusive. In fact it adds atmosphere
Set ourselves up with a couple of drinks , filled the large slipper bath and both of us nodded off to the Smooth Jazz band while soaking out the aches of the ride down. The room itself is very comfortable in fact you could stay in it alday there is plenty. of stuff to read or just look at the view Later had a reasonably priced and very nicely cooked meal. The menu is well balanced and the service was very good with attentive staff.
For me there were two negs , I wake early morning (I mean around 5:00) and would have liked a cup of tea whilst I catch up on work but there is no facility for this in the room and I would feel uncomfortable waking someone to make me a cup or three. I did mean to ask why this was not available as it does seem a very basic addition. It may be an H&S thing I dont know but maybe if the guest were given the option it would be nice. Wi Fi was by BT fon but cellular signal on Virgin T mobile was strong for Hspeed cell modem. Very peacefulrelaxing stay. Look forward to returning soon. P.s check out website for room pics .

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Brezett
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My wife and I stayed for a Friday and Saturday night in the Ortega room.

The room is quirky with a mixture of interior design styles - exposed floorboards, seventies wallpaper, exposed brickwork, church pew seating, a huge copper bath, two copper hand basins, copious lighting (with a very confusing controller), Bush 1950s style radio. The view from the two front facing windows in very nice - looking over fields rising up towards the North Downs.

The bed is large but very very soft - I really needed the walking we did on the Downs to straighten my back out. Note that there is no TV. 3G and mobile (O2) reception is particularly poor in this area.

Although the room is directly above the bar the sounds coming through the floor are not overly loud - anyhow this is a pub so you have to expect a lively atmosphere.

The pub is very cosy and divides into a formal dining area, the bar / lounge and a "shop" with tables and chairs selling local wines and produce. Dried hops hang from the ceiling all through the pub and the quirky design continues with shelves full of books and various strange things on the walls (a boars head and a mermaid figurehead). There are two open fires that, when the pub was busy, made the whole area very hot; I was sweating whilst eating my dinner on both nights.

The food is of a very high standard - a small menu with something for all tastes - also a short specials board. The meat, fish and vegetables are all locally sourced, along with the wines and beers (I would definitely recommend any of the ales by Hopdaemon). Look to spending around £80+ for a three course meal with a reasonable bottle of wine.

Breakfasts are served in the "shop" area. There is a buffet with cereals etc. and a short cooked food menu - we had rarebit one day and smoked salmon / scrambled egg the next - both were excellent.

The staff are all very attentive, couteous and welcoming.

So I would definitely recommend a stay here - a good base for touring south eastern Kent (Dover, Rye, North Downs, Canterbury).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrZapp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brabourne
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 3 in Wye
Downsview GuestHouse
Downsview GuestHouse
#1 of 2 in Kennington

Been to Five Bells Inn Brabourne? Share your experiences!