“First review....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tayinloan
Point Sands Holiday Park
Hawick, Scotland, United Kingdom
“First review....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Just spent a week at Point Sands staying in one of their static caravans.. This was our second year in this beautiful part of Scotland. We returned this year because we had such a lovely, relaxing holiday with our two young girls. We weren't disappointed this year either. The caravan was great, staff brilliant, location amazing and our girls were safe to explore at their leisure. Brilliant campfires with toasted marshmallows watching the sun going down over gigha....stunning.....
Returning next year... you couldn't keep us away.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephjohnston69
PointSands, Owner at Point Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you so much for coming to visit us again, we thoroughly enjoyed welcoming you all back to Point Sands and look forward to seeing you all again next year!!

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I returned to Point Sands for my 8th visit this summer and once again it didn't disappoint! There were 13 in our party this year staying in 3 static caravans (2 hired 1 owned). The hired vans were clean and fairly well maintained (although after being spoilt by staying in a new van last year, I felt you could tell the one this year was getting a bit tired. People letting their dogs on the furniture perhaps.) I didn't buy anything from the shop although it looked to be very well stocked. We paid a couple of visits to the Cara Cafe which we felt was good food at a reasonable price. Perfect when you cant be bothered to cook! Lots of time was spent playing on the beach with my toddler, swimming, running and messing around with boats. Really cant beat the beach at Point Sands. We took the ferry from Tayinloan to Gigha for the Gigha raft race which was excellent fun as usual. More running and then some relaxing on the beautiful beaches. We ate out in Tarbet and Campbelltown and made a return trip to eat at the Putechan which is about 25 min drive south on the Campbeltown Road. Lovely food but would advise you book as can get busy. I would also highly recommend seafood lovers visit the seafood cabin at Skipness. You won't find anywhere else quite like it! I find point sands thoroughly relaxing and a world away from everyday life. Only been home a few days and already longing to return!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LouAt80
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Just back from 3 nights camping here at this fab holiday park. We initially booked for 2 nights but booked an extra cheeky night as it was so beautiful. We took out bikes and went on the short ferry ride to Gigha, breath taking views and beaches straight out of magazines! The location of the campsite is perfect for countryside getaways from all the hustle & bustle. Great wee cafe thats a mini chipshop and a well stocked shop onsite. Friendly staff, clean facilities and fab views, all pitches look onto the sea :)
Cant wait to return!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

hi folks bear with me as new to this
location
as a couple we travel around the highlands usually but decided to give the kintyre peninsula a try out
what a wonderful part of the world with fantastic scenery this site has sunsets that you see in pictures absolutely stunning with nice views to gigha and jura
great location for getting the ferry to islay to sample the scotch of course and to the lovely hotel on gigha
facilities
a well stocked shop with reasonable prices with lovely staff
the toilets i must admit though are a bit of a squeeze im not big and i found the cubicles and showers a bit hard to get in and out of and not nearly enough of them as the place was very busy
cara cafe a little gem onsite caravan that again is reasonable with great food we had the venison burgers absolutely gorgeous

staff
very nice young girls in the shop and cara cafe phill and esstee the wardens nevr stopped and do everything to get you settled (though phill does like to talk in riddles sometime lol)

the great thing about the site is that it is right on the beach and there is bbq and bonfires held on the beach at night by the seasonals which brings me to the best part of this site
there are a group of seasonals who are in the COONCIL END as they call it (not sure how to spell but it sounds like that)not the statics there are a few at the far end who are like the on site entertainment at night (the point sands redcoats we called them )
cant recall all off their names so wont single anyone out as wouldnt be fair as they are brilliant together they rib each other and no one is spared one minute they are picking on one and the next another one gets it thay where fantastic company with nothing but hilarity all night
if visiting you must go and join these guys and ladies they usually have the last bonfire at the touring side (the furthest away from the statics)
another good point about the site was the freedom for my dog and he enjoyed the run with the two whippets(thanks john its the best workout he has had in years he slept all day )
we also enjoyed the day we had in campbeltown and the weather was fantastic which is always a bonus and had a round of golf at the famous machrihanish club wonderful
well thats my first review hope i havent bored any one but to summerise
a great site in a great part of the world and agreat bunch of people but the amenities could do with a little more attention
regards peter

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter m
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

We booked our stay at Point Sands I think in the February of this year. We like to book early as we aren't too fond of children and we like a good view.

So the booking request went along the lines of 'as close to the beach as possible and the furthest possible pitch from any children's play area.

I don't know why I bothered. We were pitched back from the seafront pitches and were told that no tents were allowed on the seafront pitches as they were saved for caravans so they could be charged more. IF that is the case why were the promises made in the first place ? Seems like it was a case of promise them whatever until they pay and sod them when they get here.

That said, our second request of furthest pitch from children's play area also went out the window. The warden pitched us on the closest pitch to the playground and field.

We spent 18 nights asking for balls and frisbees not to be directed at the tent, had one child crash a bike into our tent, and the constant running around our tent with associated childrens scream wound our dog up a treat.

We got speaking with a regular who had said he'd given up asking for anything as he never got his request filled no matter what it was.

The fact that the NEW toilet block consisted of, in total, 5 showers, 5 cubicals, 2 urinals and 5 sinks. Adequate ? No. I counted 125 units camping on the site one day and if every unit had just 2 people then that is a really poor ratio.

I felt sorry for the main pair of wardens who rarely stopped and worked like stars. The location was fantastic, but organisationally it left a lot to be desired.

I am also writing to the Caravanning & Camping club as they display a 'we're listed' sign but as I have reported, it seems like traditional canvas campers are treated like second class campers as it would appear they are restricted from certain areas.

I sent the site my review before I posted on here, the manager got in touch immediately wanting to appease my complaints, she arranged to telephone me the next day.

That was 10 days ago, obviously they are not interested in sorting it out. What's two persons spoilt holiday if they can spend the time promising the earth to others and taking their money knowing full well their requests will be totally ignored on their arrival.

Will we go back ? No. There's another good looking sight 5 miles down the road we may try. Thoroughly disappointed at our treatment.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank sct_scorpio
Innerleithen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I can quite honestly say that the 2 weeks we spent at Point Sands,was one of the best and relaxing holidays I have ever had. The views and scenery were stunning and we could see it all from our caravan .The beach was wonderful and just a short ferry ride to the gorgeous Isle of Gigha. The park had a great kids play area and I was happy to let my child run about and he made lots of new friends. The staff were second to none. Rebecca and her husband were very welcoming and were always on hand with a smile and a warm greeting. The park wardens, Phil and his wife were fantastic, so very helpful and always stopping to say hello. 150% service from all the staff. The atmosphere at the park was fantastic. no noise after a certain time of night and everyone was respectful and courtious to each other. Lots of space between each pitch also, so not on top of each other! We will be returning to this park every year now for our summer holidays. If you are planning on getting a plane for your holidays, my advise would be DON'T!! Grab yourself a tent or a caravan and get over to Scotland's very own piece of paradise - you will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Wonderfull site with very helpfull staff. Beach is a great asset with bbq's and camp fires allowed and nice shallow water for the kids. Good shop (all the basics - no alcohol though) and the Cara Cafe/van is well priced (deep fried scallops to die for). Only down points being the toilets and wash up facilities - while clean and pleasant enough, just not big enough for the size of site and for the nightly fee you pay I would expect better. In the surrounding area-Gigha is lovely and not too far away, day trip/cruise to Islay is a must just for the views.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Point Sands Holiday Park? Share your experiences!