Monty's Beach Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Jiquilillo
See available hotels
View Hotel
Marina Puesta del Sol(Aposentillo)
  • Beachfront
Hotel Los Portales(Chinandega)
  • Pool
Hotel El Convento(Leon)
View Hotel
All reviewslocal communitydeep sea fishingturtle hatcheryfeel like familyincredible experiencefamily tripthe food is greathome away from homelife changingbeach frontperfect settingsound of the waveslocal childrenoff the beaten pathyoga retreatsoup kitchenbuilding houses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This is my second time to Monty's. I came with my family the first time and just my wife this year. There is something for everyone here. You will feel welcome and part of the family the minute you land. I guarantee you will walk away with lifetime friends of both visitors and staff alike. Tons of fun in the surf and food to die for. Did I mention cold cold beer. Although its 2.5 hrs from airport it's well worth the travel time. If you are looking for some volunteertourism there is always a project on going to get involved with.
This was one of the most fulfilling and enriching vacation we have ever spent as a family. That is why we returned and that is why well be back.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Captblind
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at Monty's and also took advantage of some of the other things in the area. At Monty's the beds were comfortable, the food was great, and there was lots to do... if you wanted to do things... and great hammocks and beer if you didn't want to do things. We took the opportunity to do some touring around the estuary and into Leon as well as got to spend some time meeting the local women's cooperativa and with the kids at the local community centre and got invited to a community beach clean up which was great fun.

As this was the first time I have traveled somewhere I don't speak the language I was concerned about my ability to communicate. I found all of the staff at Monty's very patient with my 6 words of Spanish and the staff who spoke English were happy to help me out. Monty's was comfortable, clean and I felt safe but not shut off from the local community and liked the opportunity to engage with the community in a useful way.

I am already working on learning some Spanish so I can go back and talk to people without help!

Room Tip: They all seemed pretty comfortable. They are all close together although there is a house next door that I think is used for overflow which looked nice and is across the volleyball court from the main dinner/bar area.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Auntbeast
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at Monty's beach lodge for 9 days with our children aged 2 and 6 and also with grandma, sister in law, her husband and their 3 year old. It was the best vacation we have ever had and we all travel quite regularly. The site is absolutely beautiful, with amazing service and most importantly great people. They are always doing something to help out the community. The food is wonderful and you can't beat the beach.....It is BEAUTIFUL! We rode both horses and bikes for miles at sunset, while rarely seeing another person. The locals are all very friendly We can not wait to return again and again!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark and Kim Q
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have been to Nicaragua twice and stayed at Monty's Both times. I had the opportunity to spend 9 weeks at the lodge in the Winter 2011. The great thing about Monty's is it is never the same. There are always new groups and new guests coming through and enriching the environment. The food is great and the staff are awesome, very friendly and accommordating. I found there to be a good mix of quiet and tranquil along with fun and energetic depending on the group of guests that were there.

What I love the most is the opportunity to serve in the community. Whether it was serving lunch at the dump, purchasing a water filtration system for a family in the community or helping to teach an English class at the local community center there was always some way the camp facilitated these adventures. I love the sense of community and bond that developed between different groups and guests, it is truly a unique environment.

Gerry is a great host and I loved when Luigi/Luis facilitated our outtings to the volcanos or trips to the estuary, there was never a dull moment. Cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I have been fortunate to have traveled the world and have stayed at some of the finest resorts this planet has to offer. While all these vacations have been memorable, nothing can compare to the life awakening I experienced at Monty’s Beach Lodge. This is a property that is far off the tourist circuit and thrives because of it. The food is prepared in a family style format, and was easily one of the days highlights. Perhaps the only downfall with the days dinner would be a slight delay because the local fisherman providing the evenings lobster was a few minutes late. The seafood is that fresh.
Monty’s staff, are in a word, incredible. They pride themselves on providing a memorable experience for all guests. Often they would spend hours with me helping me to improve my Spanish. This would be late into the evening when they should be sleeping to rest for the early morning ahead. Without fail, the staff would go above and beyond with everything they did for the guests. I hesitate to use the term staff, as after spending a few days at the Lodge, they truly seemed more like friends then staff.
The facility is on one of the most picturesque beaches anywhere. The mornings are tranquil with the waves lapping the shore that is basking in the brilliant sunrise. After gazing upon this splendorous sight, my day would begin with a walk along the endless beach, with the only distractions being the occasional donkey pulled cart, or a wave from one of the local children. Next I would often return to the Lodge, grab a surf board and attempt to ride the ever present waves. These are waves so forgiving, I was often able to carve a few turns. After working up an appetite in the surf, breakfast was always ready to be enjoyed and the day was ready to unfold.
The most stressful experience of the entire vacation was deciding how to spend my day. The hammocks swinging in the breeze were a popular option, a game of soccer on the beach with the local children was a possibility, or perhaps a walk through the fishing village of Jiquilillo to see the daily catch. For the days you choose to be more active there are a myriad of options. Horseback riding on the beach is a memorable experience. The fishing excursions with a local guide almost always bring back the dinner for the evening. A paddle or a power boat ride through the magnificent Padre Ramos Estuary is a sight that everyone must experience. A visit to the Carrie Sea Turtle Preserve, and the experiences of actually releasing the turtles into the wild is a memory that will last my lifetime. The market tours led by Gerry, the local guide, are not to be missed. The knowledge he can provide of his hometown and the surrounding area is astounding. And one must not pass up the opportunity to climb an active volcano and ride a toboggan or a “volcanoboard” down. If I was to experience just one of these amazing events on my trip I would be satisfied. In one week I was able to do everything.
The lodge is comprised of basic rooms that are kept immaculately clean by the staff. There is a main dining area where all the food is served, card games are played, socializing takes place with the staff and guest from all over the world and if you time it right perhaps Gerry will set up a disco.
And to myself the best part about Monty’s Beach Lodge is what they are doing for the community. They had the ability to hire previously trained individuals to work at the Lodge. Instead they chose to hire local staff and take the time and spend the money to meticulously train them. This is a huge benefit to the impoverished people of the village. The camp does not just talk about helping the community, they take action. Monty’s Beach Lodge is responsible for constructing a community medical centre, additions to the local schools, providing clean drinking water to the community, delivering an ambulance to the local hospital, providing 8 firetrucks to the surrounding fire departments, implementing a plastic recycling program and other programs to numerous to list. And this is a Lodge that has only been in operation for a few years.
I say bravo to Monty’s Beach Lodge for everything they do for the community and for providing me with by far the best vacation experience imaginable.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends