“If a country could be embodied by something as simple as Monty's surely there'd be an abundance of individuals eager to share in”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jiquilillo
Monty's Beach Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Jiquilillo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Although my stay with my peers was only brief, we had the opportunity to not only surf and dine on the beach, but the opportunity to meet the children at the local school which was, in my opinion one of the better parts of my stay, although it was much too short. Monty's is a beautiful location that really makes you feel apart of the experience. I'd hesitate not for a minute to return and spend more time with those kids in any capacity, and to perhaps learn how to surf!

Giving back to those kids, knowing there are sustainable projects, its something I'd love to be a part of again, and that I intend to be a part of!

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have stayed at Monty's 7 times in the past two years as a guest and community volunteer. The staff here are warm and welcoming and they treat their guests and each other as family. Gerry and Monty, the owners, are committed to serving the local community and creating sustainable growth in a beautiful and as-yet untouched area of the world. Whether you are looking for a quiet beach to rejuvenate, an opportunity to give back (Monty's supports many local sustainable projects), or a chance to practice your Spanish and get to know the locals, this is the place for you! This is not a five star hotel with every amenity... and that is it's appeal!!

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I spent a week at Monty's as part of a karma yoga retreat, and had an amazing time! My room was comfortable and equipped with a mosquito net and fan, and the window allowed for the ocean breezes to come through. The food is amazing, and the staff are all super nice. There are enough hammocks for everyone, and the resident dogs and cat will keep you company on walks. I also enjoyed quality time with Victoria and Tonya (the local beers) at Monty's honor bar.

It's right in Jiquilillo, so we got to see the local schools and hang out with the kids at the community center, which is just a few minutes' walk from Monty's. It's such a great place to experience the community and the natural beauty of the area - it's literally right on the beach, and a short drive away from the mangrove and estuary. I definitely want to come back, and when I do I'll stay at Monty's for sure!
Kira M

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Monty's truly does it right. I never thought there could be such a great balance of fun and philanthropy! I feel like I changed peoples lives for the better during my visit by working with Monty's in the local community. The projects are outstanding. Furthermore, I had the time of my life! The surf is great and there is so much to do! The food and rooms are just right as well.
What a balance!

I recommend this place to anyone who wants to give back while having the time of their life!!!

Reviewed 25 May 2012

I love this type of style lodge. Very rustic, peaceful, very clean and I felt extremely safe there.
I would recommend it to anyone who wants a quiet get away ... lay by the beach, play beach volleyball, kayak or just lay on a hammock all day and read a book. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: A lodge facing the beach but all the lodges are really lovely and private.
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Our family stayed at Monty's for a week in April 2012, before exploring other parts of the country. It was a highlight of our trip. Our 8 and 10 year old boys loved the friendly pack of resident dogs, great boogie boarding, easy beach access, and hanging out reading in the hammocks. We loved the tasty, healthy, simple meals three times a day, and plentiful and safe water and refreshments.

We loved the outings provided by Luigi, and can especially recommend fishing in the estuary and the Cerro Negro volcano hike (and sled down). We were grateful for the opportunity to do some service work, in particular serving lunch at the dump community in Chinandega. Based on the website, we had hoped to have the opportunity to participate in other service activities, but there wasn't much happening at the time of our visit.

The only bummer of our trip was a few nights of very loud and very late (2:00 a.m.!) music for the younger crowd. Given that we had to sleep with our doors open to stay cool, this made for a rough couple of nights.

Monty's would be a wonderful destination for families who don't mind more adventurous travel off the beaten path. Jiquilillo is a very simple fishing village with few amenities.

Room Tip: If available, choose beachfront cabanas to benefit from the ocean breeze. No a/c can make for a hot...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I have now stayed at Monty's two times. The first time was August of last year for 8 days of yoga, volunteer work, Spanish lessons, my first time surfing and some relaxation. It was awesome! So awesome that I took my two teenage daughters there this past spring break for two weeks. We didn't have the yoga or Spanish lessons this time but interacted with the local community every day. The staff there are so friendly and accommodating and the food is delicious. Feel free to make requests for their cinnamon French toast for breakfast and fresh fish for dinner! Those were our favourites. If you want to experience the non-tourist side of Nicaragua, this is the ideal place. Don't go there looking for swimming pools, air conditioning and everyone speaking English. Go there to see what life is like for the majority of Nicaraguans and to appreciate this beautiful country and its people. I also highly recommend it for a meaningful student trip. I keep checking my finances to see when I can get back there.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms that have their own bathroom for convenience.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Cheryl M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jiquilillo
Redwood Beach Resort
#1 of 3 in Chinandega
Vistas del Pacifico
Vistas del Pacifico
#2 of 3 in Jiquilillo

Been to Monty's Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!