“Great to have it back.”

The Hengist Village Bar & Dining Rooms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hengist Village Bar & Dining Rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Aylesford
Price range: US$14 - US$105
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: 15 minutes walk from main line rail link..
Description: The Hengist reopened in April 2014 following an extensive renovation. The 16th Century building still stands with orginal features and timber beams yet houses an elegant, modern restaurant and bar. As a village pub and dining rooms the Hengist offers a range of dining options including a casual dining option on the ground floor and two more formal dining rooms upstairs. We offer seasonal 'a la carte and 'set' menus along with a 'Sunday lunch' menu. All of our dishes are freshly made to order with locally sourced ingredients. Tuesday-Saturday Lunch served 12-3pm. Evening food served from 6pm. Sunday lunch served 12-5pm. Set Menu available ; 2 course £15, 3 course £19 Tuesday-Saturday lunch times. A la carte menu available Tuesday-Saturday lunch and evening.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I visited the previous incaration of this restaurant and were impressed; the same applies to this version.
We came for dinner on a Saturday night and it was buzzing. Our resquest to be moved to a table upstairs was accomodated without fuss, and we appreciated that. The one minus point related to service at the start of our meal which was disjointed and slow - put down to a trainee waitress: to be fair, the service was saved by the manageress who stepped in (without our saying anything) and organised our meal [thank you].
The food was very good, and the wine list is comprehensive and largely good value.

Will be coming back.

Tips: get a table upstairs. When busy it can get warm (especially this time of year) so request a table near the rear doors.

1  Thank cabaldwin

Reviewed 30 May 2014

i would like to say a big thankyou for a great cocktail masterclass evening . we really enjoyed making the cocktails but most importantly enjoying them. The canapés on arrival were a lovely touch, ready to soak up the bellini, pina colada, mojito and strawberry cheesecake shot. we were warmly welcomed by staff and a special thanks to keiron thanks for the tour ...we will definitely be back for dinner and maybe a cheeky cocktail or two from your extensive list .

1  Thank vicb2402
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were greeted and our wine order taken promptly but the starters took 1hr 20 mins to arrive. The pea soup was great but the seafood pannecotta was salty and a bit slimey. 2hrs in and no main courses had arrived, so I enquired of the Front of House who chased it up. They arrived but looked like they had been under a heat lamp for a while so were dry. The Maitre d' explained that they had been left in the service lift, so had been re-cooked from fresh - I have my doubts. They did have the good grace to not charge us for the main courses. The waiting staff were pleasant and apologetic of the delay, so you can only imagine some kind of chaos going on in the kitchen, but any good maitre d' would know when his guests have been waiting too long and should have stepped in, rather than be told by the diner.
Not the best way to celebrate my son's birthday.

6  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Further to my previous review in April:

Bank Holiday Sunday afternoon spent in the tranquil setting of the garden, sipping on Pims and tasting their lovely food whilst listening to the music of a very talented trio. We've eaten there a few times now and have no complaints, also morning coffee and a pain au chocolate went down a treat when I wandered in with my young granddaughter.

The service is attentive without being intrusive...well worth a visit.

1  Thank Jeannius24
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I took two friends out to the Hengist for dinner. We went mid week and had a very warm greeting and were shown to our table. We sat down stairs and sampled the most amazing food and drink. This restaurant caters for people who like a drink with their dinner and those who don't. I had two beautiful no alcoholic cocktails with my dinner. Our food was perfect and all four of us enjoyed all three courses we had.
All four of us feel it was value for money as well and will be going back again in the next few weeks.

1  Thank kelly h