“Great food, great venue”

The Hengist Village Bar & Dining Rooms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hengist Village Bar & Dining Rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Aylesford
Price range: US$14 - US$104
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: 15 minutes walk from main line rail link..
Description: The Hengist reopened in April 2014 following an extensive renovation. The 16th Century building still stands with orginal features and timber beams yet houses an elegant, modern restaurant and bar. As a village pub and dining rooms the Hengist offers a range of dining options including a casual dining option on the ground floor and two more formal dining rooms upstairs. We offer seasonal 'a la carte and 'set' menus along with a 'Sunday lunch' menu. All of our dishes are freshly made to order with locally sourced ingredients. Tuesday-Saturday Lunch served 12-3pm. Evening food served from 6pm. Sunday lunch served 12-5pm. Set Menu available ; 2 course £15, 3 course £19 Tuesday-Saturday lunch times. A la carte menu available Tuesday-Saturday lunch and evening.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was a first visit for myself and my husband for a birthday lunch. My husband had heard of the restaurant and we thought we'd try it out. We did go on a Monday, ate downstairs (upstairs is closed on a Monday) and even though it was just about empty - just us and one other table occupied, the staff were friendly and attentive and the food was great. We both had the fish for starters and mains - my husband from the a la carte menue, myself from the set menu - both menus had good choices. We also both had the deserts - all in all the food was swift to arrive, very well presented and tasted great. Not a scrap left on either plate! The waitress gave us a tour of the 'fine dining' and 'champagne bar' upstairs after our meal (at our request) which looked lovely, though until they get the air conditioning fitted it will be rather warm in the summer. We were told that The Hengist has new owners who have recently spent some 6months refurbishing the place - all done to a very high standard. We're now looking for an excuse to come back one evening to try out the 'fine dining' menu which looks even better.

1  Thank Karen C

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing food really enjoyed our time in the restaurant great service the staff was very adequate only problem was the staff where abit too much

1  Thank Kentfoodie201
Reviewed 8 June 2014

.... really I don't! But the Hengist is certainly a restaurant that deserves 10 minutes of my time. We have been for breakfast, lunch, dinner and just drinks over both weekdays and weekends, and it has been a joy each time.

The food is delicious, the staff and service impeccable. Nothing is too much trouble. I can't recommend it enough. The chef takes traditional favourites and makes them fine dining and often with unique twists. The desserts are to die for, especially the peanut butter ice cream!

Will definitely be back!

1  Thank Em137
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My husband & I sat downstairs in the casual dining area. The food was lovely and the service was brilliant. I was a bit worried about some of the reviews regarding the service but it was the complete opposite. The downstairs dining area was full by about 8.30. We sat down at 8 when it was half full. The young lady who was serving us was very attentive and nothing was too much trouble especially regarding our "wobbly" table which she sorted out by getting some napkins to put under it. The only thing I agree with other reviewers is the fact that there is noise from the bar especially when cocktails are being made & they use a blender, but this didn't detract too much from the atmosphere. The restrooms were nice & clean with molten brown toiletries & individual towels to dry hands on.

1  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Food was fantastic, brilliant value for money! Also, popped downstairs for a drink after our meal and the atmosphere was really nice & cosy. The barman Connor was very attentive, professional and really looked after us. Totally recommend it! 100% customer service without being too in your face. Will definitely be back soon :-)

1  Thank Joe S