“Don't take my word for it...try this gem yourself!!”
Review of The Hengist

The Hengist
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hengist is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Aylesford
Price range: US$13 - US$53
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: 15 minutes walk from main line rail link..
Description: The Hengist reopened in April 2014 following an extensive renovation. The 16th Century building still stands with orginal features and timber beams yet houses an elegant, modern restaurant and bar. As a village pub and dining rooms the Hengist offers a range of dining options including a casual dining option on the ground floor and two more formal dining rooms upstairs. We offer seasonal 'a la carte and 'set' menus along with a 'Sunday lunch' menu. All of our dishes are freshly made to order with locally sourced ingredients. Tuesday-Saturday Lunch served 12-3pm. Evening food served from 6pm. Sunday lunch served 12-5pm. Set Menu available ; 2 course £15, 3 course £19 Tuesday-Saturday lunch times. A la carte menu available Tuesday-Saturday lunch and evening.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

As a father's day treat, we went to have lunch at The Hengist. If I was forced to use 1 word it'd be WOW!

Apart from the quality of the menu, what amazed me the most was the brilliant portions on offer. I'm usually a very fussy eater but for once i was completely spoilt for choice in one place. Lovely sliced warm bread basket(wholemeal and white) with generous portions of real butter while waiting for our order. I eventually settled on the Slow roast pork belly with all the trimmings and I've got no regrets!
Next time though I'll be trying the Rib eye steak with the chunky chips! Looked fabulous from the next table.

Not so sure about the reviewer complaining about children and noise etc....after all it was Father's day and what better way to enjoy the day than with all the ones you love. there is a whole field where they were playing ball games yesterday and picnic blankets laid out by the stream that run through the beer garden. Proper space for everyone including children and on father's day. We were just a couple but loved the family feel around us.

We had an early lunch but after finding out about the live music in the garden after 4pm, returned after a short drive to the movies in Rochester to enjoy the really nice evening with drinks and a cheese and biscuit tray while listening to the very brilliant 4 piece band for 2 hrs.

We've had some very nice experiences in various pub/restaurants in and around Kent but luckily, the best one so far is now the closest. From the price to the ambiance (especially upstairs) to the quality of the very good portions I'm in no doubt that we'll be visiting again and very soon.

If you're looking for somewhere to go that's all embracing with an atmosphere that'll make you relaxed and leave with a smile and good taste in your mouth.....try this gem!

Ps: Only gripe was Amex not accepted...but for everything else..there was Mastercard!

1  Thank William O

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We went here for Fathers Day as it was suggested to me by a coworker with the promise of amazing food! We where not let down! The food and service was fantastic! The staff where happy and on hand to help with any questions, even when my mum asked how they make certain things... We all had 3 courses and each was full of flavor and so well presented. I will most definitely be returning! They have some fantastic deals going on which amazes me as the price is so affordable. I finished my meal and immediately told my closest friends we will be going for a meal or even just drinks very soon! The atmosphere was so relaxed with great decor throughout! I'm so happy I have visited Hengist and CANT WAIT TO GO BACK!!!! See you soon!!!

1  Thank Caroline T
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We tried Hengist for the first time a couple of weeks ago and were so pleased to find it's a great restaurant and one to return to. We are not blessed with many good restaurants in this part of Kent so are happy to have another local dinning option. The restaurant has been recently refurbished, makes good use of a lovely old building and has dinning areas and a bar on both floors with plenty of space for alfresco dinning too. The food was excellent, locally sourced where possible, free range where appropriate and well presented. Service was great too with staff who seemed to want to be there and were enjoying their jobs. We would certainly recommend and will definitely return.

1  Thank Emswurf
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our daughter surprised us with a "Thank You" meal where she had enjoyed a meal with her husband a few weeks ago. We were told it was all paid for "just enjoy yourselves" and we certainly did. No we did not order champagne just a modest Pinot Grigio but we could not fault the food. We felt sorry for the trainee waiter who clearly had not received much tuition but apart from that the ambience on a Saturday evening was great. The food was excellent and the price reasonable. The Hengist was always a place we aspired to but refused to pay absurd prices. It is not cheap but you get what you pay for. Certainly we plan to return.

1  Thank ViicMo
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect, and punches well above any expectation. Food cooked and served with delicious 'panache'. Real gourmet flavours and the friendliest of staff. All in the idyllic setting of pretty Aylesford. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Joe S