“Perfect cosy hideaway!”

Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Luxurious Suffolk Barns, some with Hot Tubs. Check website for details
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Appletree...
Essex, UK
“Perfect cosy hideaway!”
Reviewed 12 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

Just back from a four night stay in Orwell Barn with our two dogs. What a charming place to stay! The barns are built around a gravelled courtyard with a koi pond, but are so well designed once you are in your barn (or hot tub!) you are secluded, private and feel like you're on your own. The barn was delightful, compact but warm due to the under floor heating and log burner, clean and well equipped. Dogs are very welcome, the small secure garden was ideal and full of interesting smells for them! There are thoughtful touches like the breakfast hamper, bath robes and slippers, and the shed with bikes, DVDs, books etc is a great idea. We thoroughly relaxed this week, lovely walks in the morning (Dunwich Heath is perfect if you have a dog, whilst the beaches are stunning they were pebbly so no good for our elderly Lab with his arthritic paws. The Heath was beautiful, soft but solid underfoot and with varying length way-marked routes) and reading in the afternoon with a cheeky G&T in the hot tub pre dinner! We'll definitely return, thanks Carl you have a great set up and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely.

12 Nov 2016
What an amazingly comprehensive review, thank you! It was a real pleasure meeting and chatting with you guys so I look forward to your next visit. And next time, help me shift that gravel! :-)
Ruth C
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 7 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

Lovely Barns set in a secluded area of Suffolk, worth a visit. Carl does everything he can to make your stay the best. Welcome basket on Arrival, included homemade cookies and Jam, along with Bacon, Mushrooms, eggs, bread and tomatoes, Fantastic. The wood burner is set up ready to go, to enjoy the cosy nights in. Dogs made to feel at home to and greeted with a treat. Welcomed by Carl on arrival, and also on depature. a very good host.

Lovely and clean, and well maintained, the site is just the right size and you are totally
un -overlooked, and feel like your are all on your own.

Cant recommend a visit here strongly enough.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the whole experience to be honest. it would be hard to find a single thing.
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Large groups
People with pets
9 Nov 2016
Thank you! I'm really pleased you guys enjoyed your introduction to Woodfarm and I hope to see you again some time :-)
Heather B
“Chillax to the max”
Reviewed 5 November 2016 for a stay in October 2016

The warm welcome from Carl on arrival give the experience the personnel touch.
The cottage was all we expected it to be and more

We had booked the cottage as a treat to ourselves and oh boy were we treated.
Wonderful cottage,with lots of home comforts and more
Even the dog was relaxed(probably due to the underfloor heating)some days she didn't even want to go for a walk

The breakfast hamper was a lovely added bonus

Best thing for me was the hot tub
What a treat
Didn't really see much of the surrounding area as spent most of our time relaxing

The only downside for was having to leave
I even had to apologise for the noise as I was dragged out kicking and screaming (well almost)
Definitely will be recommending to our friends and family
We loved it so much we booked again for next July whilst we were there
Thanks Carl for a wonderful break

Liked best: Hot tub
Liked least: Having to leave
Friends getaway People with pets
7 Nov 2016
Haha, thank you! What a lovely review and I can confirm you were well behaved on departure! Look forward to seeing you all in July :-)
_npeyto
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed 3 November 2016 for a stay in October 2016

I booked Alde Barn as a treat for my partner and neither of us were disappointed! A really cute little barn with all the comforts of home, it was cosy and warm and really relaxing. Carl, the owner introduced himself on the day we arrived and he was lovely. We had a lovely relaxing weekend and will definitely be booking again ... one with a hot tub next time :-)

Liked best: Its cuteness
Liked least: There was nothing not to like!
Older travelers People with pets
3 Nov 2016
Thank you so much, it was great to meet you guys and I'm really pleased you liked the barn. I look forward to seeing you again sometime :-)
Peter H
“Perfect Dog Friendly Break”
Reviewed 31 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

My Wife and I have just returned from a weekend break in Deben Barn at Woodfarm Barns and we are already planning our next visit.

The Barn is full of character with so many lovely touches and also full of the little things that you normally forget like tea, coffee, salt & pepper.

The garden is completely enclosed which was perfect for us as we could relax in the hot tub knowing our dogs were safe.

There are great walks at Thornham & Needham Lakes nearby and also several pubs and restaurants within 10-15 mins.

Many Thanks to Carl & your team for an excellent weekend.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: relaxing and the peace and quiet
Liked least: leaving
Friends getaway People with pets
1 Nov 2016
What a lovely review, thank you so much. I'm so pleased that all the lengths we go to in order to make your stay perfect, work for you. We are very lucky to have those great walks, pubs and restaurants nearby. Hope to see you guys again soon :-)
Peter Z
“Fantastic potential, but fundamentals fell short”
Reviewed 15 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016
people found this review helpful

There is much to like about Woodfarm Barns - they sit in a beautiful rural setting within driving distance to plenty of attractions. The grounds are very well kept and the barn that we stayed in was clean and well presented. It was a 'semi-detached' barn (Gipping Barn), if I was to go back I would request one which sits on its own. There is a great hot tub and a nice little wood burning stove and you are welcomed with a hamper containing all you need for your first breakfast. There is a shed with supplies such as DVDs and logs, very well thought out, and the dogs are well catered for. All the little details have been thought of, with a very detailed book calling out everything you need to know about the barns and the surrounding area. Lots of thought has gone into making sure you get the most from your stay. Communication was excellent and we received a very warm welcome from Carl and was always on hand to look after us.

Where our particular barn fell badly short was on the basics. After one night in the bed, neither of us had had a good night's sleep. The bed is a double, smaller than we are used to but that in itself is not a problem - just something to be aware of when booking. The problem was the mattress - it was badly worn with dips on either side and a ridge in the middle. When I took a look at the label, I was able to find the same mattress for £140 new online (Silentnight Sancerre) - not what I would consider 'luxury' which is how these barns are advertised and priced. As the week wore on it got worse - I was awake at 4/5 o'clock each morning with pain in my back, on the last two mornings I awoke to find my fiancee had gone downstairs and was trying to sleep on the tiny 2-seater settee. By the end of the week we were looking forward to leaving to get a decent night's sleep, both of us going home with back ache.

Now when I read feedback like this in amongst reviews that are all 5-stars, I tend to dismiss the reviewer as a 'moaner'. I want to put context around this - I travel frequently with work and for leisure and sleep in everything from top executive suites to inflatable beds in the back of my van and everything inbetween. I'm not precious and when booking hotels for personal trips will often choose chains at the budget end of the market as all I need is a comfortable bed and a decent shower. Woodfarm Barns gave us the worst bed I can remember in accommodation I have had to pay for. A visit which was meant to be relaxing became a chore by the end of the week as neither of us had had enough sleep. It undermines all the great things that you should be enjoying about the stay. Worth noting that in the book in the barn where you are invited to leave advice for other vistiors, a couple had provided the same negative feedback about the bed but it had obviously not been acted on.

Other things worth noting - the settee is a small 2-seater set into an alcove - it is also a little worn and by the end of the week I found I was getting annoyed that I didn't have more room to stretch out when sat in the evenings. Maybe that was associated with the lack of sleep though. The hot water is limited - the shower has no flow control and my fiancee had to turn it off while washing her hair to ensure there was enough for me. The limited hot water is called out in the handbook when you arrive, but worth noting you need to ration hot water if you like spending a lot of time in the shower - for us it was nothing more than a minor inconvenience. There is wi-fi, if that is important to you then worth noting it only worked well in the kitchen side of the barn - this was not a problem for us.

In summary, what should have been a fantastic stay with our dogs in a stunning location was badly undermined by one single aspect which to my mind should be a foremost consideration - the comfort of the bed. I would love to go back to the barns, personally I would book one of the bigger barns - but only if I was assured that some significant investment was made in refreshing the beds with something other than an old, very cheap mattress.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and attention to many small details
Liked least: Cost cutting on one of the most important aspects of accommodation,
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
People with pets
15 Oct 2016
Hi. Thank you firstly for all the positives you have to say.

I'm sorry you didn't find the mattress to your liking. It is a difficult one to please everyone on as we are all made differently. I buy medium firm mattresses and some say they are perfect. Other guests sometimes say they are too firm and some say they are too soft. It isn't very old and we do change them regularly. By contrast the guests staying in the barn next to you at the same time, with the same mattress said this about it in their review "I must mention that I've never slept in a more comfortable bed while on holiday" - Their review was posted immediately prior to yours. I'm just sorry that this wasn't your experience.

The water heater has 100 litres of hot water and is the largest capacity that the manufacturer have. It should be ample but on this occasion it wasn't. This is what we say about hot water in our welcome folder;

"The barn has constant ‘on demand’ hot water via a 100 litre system, so hot water should always be available for you. The shower is powerful though so won’t last for ages as it uses lots of water. We can’t reduce the flow; that’s the trade-off with a lovely powerful shower I’m afraid".

Again, I'm sorry there wasn't enough for you.

The wi-fi is simply the best we can achieve out here with the supply we have. We cannot make it any better until someone supplies us with fibre-optic, which is not available.

I am truly sorry that you found fault, as we strive to do everything we can to ensure this doesn't happen, but I am pleased that you had lots of positives to say too.
tracy7343
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“A perfect place to spend quality time with a loved one.”
Reviewed 14 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

Came home today after four wonderful nights at Woodfarm Barns staying in Orwell barn, I can honestly say it was a lovely getaway with lots of extra little touches to make the stay perfect from the Hot tub with the ambient lighting and the lovely private garden for our dogs to sniff around in, the log burner that kept us cosy at night while we watched a dvd or read a book from the library in the shed. The perfect breakfast basket that was complimentary and all the info we needed to decide where we wanted to visit each day.
I must mention that Ive never slept in a more comfortable bed while on holiday, and also how much the barn was so well thought out and had everything you could need for your stay. My two dogs Misha and Binky settled straight away and loved the country walks and sleeping in front of the fire.
This place is an absolute credit to Carl who gives you a warm welcome and is a lovely guy.
I really can't wait to return and would recommend to anyone.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Friends getaway
15 Oct 2016
Thank you so much guys. It was a pleasure to meet you and the dogs and I look forward to seeing you all again
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing