“Great start to holiday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great start to holiday”
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stayed here overnight prior to an early flight. We had a club room which was lovely. We also ate in the L'ion dor resturauntand had a nice meal. I can't comment on breakfast as we left before it was served.
Sean on reception was great too.
There is a shuttle bus to the airport which goes from right outside hotel. We used that no problem.
We will definatly stay again next time we fly

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff helpful and our location convenient to the airport. We hope to see you again soon , also that you had a wonderful holiday.
Best wishes
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
Twyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Looks like a charming country hotel from the outside with a lovely reception area, but how disappointing were the rooms!! You had to walk forever to get to it, then the room was huge, tired looking with one radiatior below a single paned window, so of course it was cold. They had to bring 2 electric heaters. The decor was dated, walls bare, not cosy and dirty in some areas. Bathroom looked cold with only one towel laid out. The toilet flush didn't work. The intention was to have an early night to catch a very early flight the next day and we were woken up several times by the tv and talking from the guests next door and from the toilet flush from the other room next door. We were asked if we wanted to move but did not guarantee it would be any different. The guest relations manager that night, to be fair was apologetic and sympathetic. I won't be staying there ever again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We were very sorry to read that you felt we did not meet your expectations with regard to your accommodation, the level of heating and bathroom standard. All guest comments are reviewed and discussed by our management team, so may we thank you for your constructive and informative comments. As parts of our hotel date back many years, we are aware that some of our rooms are somewhat old fashioned and may be in need of updating. We very much appreciate you taking the time to post your review and hope that you might consider returning to us in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Copthorne hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2011

The communal areas are pleasant, and the breakfast average for his kind of hotel. The other two meals that I had were very poor. Arriving late I had room service, and ordered a club sandwich and got a cold chicken and bacon sandwich. I was too tired to do anything about this and went to bed. In the morning the room was very cold, and there was no cold water. I went to reception and asked for these to be rectified, I was advised I could have a heater and that I should let the tap run.

On the second evening the restaurant was closed for a private party, the brassiere had a selection that I did not find very appealing (two stews, a fish dish and one other). So I tried the Swan Bar, ordered fish and chips and a pint (£18.50). The fish was hot but not £13.00 worth. In nearby Crawley there is a Harvester that provided food to a much higher standard and for a fraction of the cost, they also have a much wider range.

On the positive side, the room was warm with the heater, and the water eventually became cold enough for me to brush my teeth. However, the fixtures and fittings were very shabby.

Having arranged for my meals to be provided at the hotel I was disappointed that they were so poor.

Overall I felt that the accommodation and and food very overpriced and to me did not represent value for money. My company arranged this and paid in advance, my diary while in Surrey was full, otherwise I would have checked out the first morning and found an alternative.

As a one night stay before leaving for a holiday it would be fine, any deficiencies could be laughed off as part of the holiday experience. When working I want warm accommodation with bathroom facilities that work and food that is better than I would find in a transport cafe.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mickphoton
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 13 March 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review following your recent stay. We were, naturally, disappointed to read your comments regarding the standard and choice of food served and the problems you experienced with hot water and heating. All reviews posted on Tripadvisor are discussed with our management team and your comments will be passed to our Food and Beverage Manager and Property Maintenance Manager. We are very sorry you felt our facilities were not suited to your stay as we endeavour to cater for all markets, both leisure and business guests. I am only sorry our Duty Manager did not have the opportunity to discuss your stay with you while you were with us. Thank you once again for your honest and constructive comments.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Stayed for a few nights, no problems at all. Got a great deal on lastminute.com. CheckIn was a breeze. The rooms are clean and modern,all with sky and internet etc. This is a really big hotel with many rooms, bars, functions rooms etc. There is nothing at all in the surrounding area (woods) however, does not really matter. The gym and pool are owned by LA Fitness and you have access to these facilities. I recommend for a chilled our pre flight stay, transfer is about 15 minutes. Enjoy.

Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank consciousi
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
Thank you very much for your recent review following your stay with us. We were very glad to read how much you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel convenient to the airport, also that you enjoyed the gym provided by L A Fitness. We hope to see you again soon.
Kindest regards
Chelmsford
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Stayed for one night prior to my partner flying out on a skiing holiday. We have stayed here before, once.

There was no heating in our room, the radiator was obviously broken and once we had reported this to reception we were quickly given a battered electric fire which soon warmed things up. The bathroom was like a fridge and remained so throughout our short stay.

The light switch by the bed did not work, we had a twin bedded room, so it was impossible to turn the lights on/off from my side.

We went to the main bar, adjacent to reception, where the drinks selection was poor and very expensive. We paid £6.10 for a coffee and a coke. I was surprised to find that they had 3 choices of foreign lager yet only one English bitter on tap (Boddingtons, I love good English ale, Boddingtons isn't).

Breakfast is served from 6am and as my partner had to be at Gatwick by 7 we were there at 6. Unfortunately they weren't ready for us and we never did get a tea/coffee and had to make do with fruit juice. I would have liked some cereals but there was no milk so I settled for toast and a muffin. If you say breakfast is available at 6am then you should be ready to serve at 6am. This is essentially an overnight stop for the airport and many people must have early flights. Having paid for breakfast we felt a little bit cheated not to have had what we paid for.

Its back to the Sofitel for us, a bit more expensive but much more convenient and everything works.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevinsteer
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. We are extremely sorry you felt so disappointed with your room and other aspects of your stay. May I assure you your comments have been investigated. We confirm we will be investigating why breakfast was not ready at 6.00 a.m. and that no milk or cereal was available. I will contact you directly about this. In the meantime, thank you for your honest and constructive feedback regarding your stay.
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip.

TV in rooms runs from an I.P. server which was unrelaible.
NO FREE WIFI!!!!!

Pay to access internet, what a let down in this day and age!!

Food was very below average, little choice, not the best quality and £13.50 for fish n chips, £12.50 for burger and chips. (Not the kind of food i was expecting in a 4 star hotel!!) Although i can say the minted lamb pie and mash with a beer wasn't bad.

Beers and cider were £4.10 to £4.30 a pint, a spirit with coke was £4.40!!
Where i am from wetherspoons is £1.29 for a beer, and £2.20 for cider.

Daylight robbery!

The hotel could do with a paint in the rooms, grouting and bathroom fittings were dropping off or moving in some of the rooms too, not very good if you want to empty the bath, especially when the so called pop up waste does not pop up. Decent quality bathroom fittings, unfortunately they were badly fitted or maintained.

Heating didnt work correctly on the first night, but once others in my party complained all seemed to be resolved.

Staff were friendly, especially at breakfast and i couldn't fault them at all.
Breakfast was continental and cooked with plenty of waiting staff, food was fairly well cooked and of good quality, the bacon and sausages are obviously good quality, well done chef for sourcing decent food. Eggs a little on the runny side at times and the whites were sometimes raw, maybe the cook on the hotplate that these were done on needs to take more care, food poisoning ahead...lol.

Check out was very efficient.

Overall i would rate this hotel as 6/10 as it is definetly below 4 star standards.
But as a one night place it may be ok.

If you like penguins or babybell then this place could be for you...haha. ;)

Regards
Fran.....K

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 20 February 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on our hotel following your recent stay. All guest feedback is reviewed by our management team so we would like to thank you for your honest and constructive comments. Your feedback relates to several departments, i.e. food and beverage, property maintenance and housekeeping, kitchen and front office so may I therefore assure you your feedback will be taken on board by all our managers. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff and the service provided. Regarding prices, we are aware that these vary between pubs and hotels in different parts of the country, your comments will be viewed by our Food and Beverage Manager. We do believe our prices are comparable to similar hotels in the Gatwick area. Thank you once again for taking the time to review your stay in order that other prospective guests may learn from your experience.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Kindest regards
Kettering
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We decided to stay overnight due to the recent snow and ice before our holiday. We found the hotel really easily but were unsure where to park as there were inadequate signs, Check-in was very efficient and when we arrived at our room it was like walking into a furness it was that hot. We immediately had to open a window and called to reception to tell them and was told that someone would deal with it immediately. We attempted to find the switch to turn the heating down but couldn't and 20 minutes later we had to call again and again we were told that someone would be up to deal with it. A telephone call to the concierge also resulted with a message to say that someone would be up to deal with it - we were also told to open the window which we had already done and were sitting next to it but we couldn't have left the window open all night and especially when we were at dinner. After an hour my husband went down to reception to complain in person and we accepted that a coach party of approximately 50 people had arrived and again were told that someone would be along to turn the heating down in our room. 20 minutes later and a second visit to reception resulted in a man turning a switch somewhere in reception and the heating in our room being turned down.

After this we decided that we would get something to eat. We went to the White Swan to be told that they were not serving food so went and booked a table at the resturant but were too early so decided to go to the White Swan for a pre dinner drink only to discover that they were serving food. Nevertheless we ordered 2 drinks which came to £10 this was only a pint and a Magners cider!!! I would have expected change from £10 but didn't get any.

Our meal in the resturant was very pleasant and the staff pleasant also so no complaints here until it came to paying. We couldn't pay here by either cash, credit or debit card so said we charge to the room. Unfortunatly we didn't leave credit card details at check-in (we weren't asked for any) so received a call from reception when we arrived to our room to say that we would have to settle the bill in person and immediately. My husband went down to the resturant to do this with cash and told he had to do it at reception so went back to reception and this proved problematic as they didn't have any change! After the receptionist managed to get some change the bill was finally paid. We needed a bottle of water and silly me thought there would be a vending machine to get a bottle of water from but my husband ended up getting a bottle from the bar which cost £5 yes £5 just for a bottle of water and it wasn't anything special.

Thankfully our room had cooled down enough so that we could get some sleep before our early morning flight the next day.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Thank you for posting a review on our hotel following your recent stay with us. Although you do not give your exact date of stay, we believe it must have been during December when we had so much snow and there were problems at the airport, we were very busy accommodating delayed passengers. We are extremely sorry you felt so disappointed with your stay and encountered problems with regard to the level of heating and making payments. We will be investigating why you experienced these problems with both our Property Manager and our Front Office Manager. It is correct that you would have needed to have had your bank card "swiped" on check in for any items to be charged to your room. We will also bring your comments regarding the cost of drinks to the attention of our Manager, so thank you for your valuable feedback. Once again, please accept our apologies for your disappointing stay, although you do say you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant and found our location convenient to the airport. Thank you once again for your review.
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!