“Ignore detracters. Booking confusion!”

Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed from 31/12/11-2/1/12, the same dates as in Dec 2010. The rooms are a good size and the food is good. The suite we occupied had a sofa and dressing area. The reception area retains enough olde charm to spread a little of it throughout the hotel. We have always found the staff to be helpful and cheerful.

However a word of warning, if you don't book direct with the hotel, double check your booking prior to arrival. I booked through Booking.com in mid Dec 2011 for one room for two nights. On arrival we were told that our reservation showed two rooms for one night. The system also showed a similar reservation for an individual with a similar surname to mine booked on 10/11/11.The receptionist said that he would delete the similar reservation from the system. We were just relieved that we could stay for two nights and not one and though no more of it.

Checking out took a good humoured 20 mins and needed the attention of three members of staff. Although the receptionist did not say and because he had enough to do ie. trying to manipulate the system to produce an invoice which concurred with my calculation of our stay, I did not enquire but I think that it was my booking that had been deleted from the system and not the similar one..

All was well until I received my bank statement showing that I had been debited by the hotel despite settling on departure.

My initial attempt to dispute the duplication was met with speedy responses, but ultimately resistance. I escalated my dispute to the General Manager Mr Alvari and was promised a response within 48 hours. Thanks to the friendly and professional assistance of Judith Campbell, the matter was resolved within 24 hours. Judith is just who you need to meet at a time when you think that the only useful use of your head would be to bang it against a wall Thank you both. Normal service has resumed. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Can be a walk = and some stairs = from reception
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review following your stay with us at the end of December. We are extremely sorry it took a while for us to resolve the problems you had with your booking, we are very glad it was speedily resolved for you and wish to thank you once again for your patience. As you can imagine, there are so many different booking channels and websites nowadays, very occasionally mistakes do happen. Thank you once again for your compliments regarding the manner in which your query was resolved. We hope to welcome you both back to the hotel soon and wish to assure you all the staff will do their utmost to ensure you have a most enjoyable stay.
Kindest regards
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,734)

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Excellent value for money and surprisingly quiet (didn't hear any aircraft noise) given how close it is to the airport. Personal friendly service, nicely presented rooms with the usual services such as internet, minibar and cable TV.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you very much for your complimentary review following your recent stay with us. We were so glad you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be quiet and peaceful. Yes, although we are only 4 miles from the airport (10 minutes or so by car or taxi) we are located South of the airport so we do not experience any flight noise. If you sit in our gardens it is like being in the countryside.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review for the benefit of other travellers.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Firstly I'll start by saying that I have always rated this hotel and have a fondness for it, in fact 15 years ago I had my wedding reception here and stayed over as did many of my guests even though I live locally.

My in-laws still regularly use this hotel as they always have since our wedding - therefore I feel my review is not just negative for the sake of it, but reflects the fact I am genuinely very disappointed by my recent experience of staying there and hope management are listening!

I booked online for Valentines night via the Millienium hotels website. As my husband and I had enjoyed a room after our wedding that had a Jacuzzi spa bath, and the Executive suite appears to be the only type of room that contains one, and was fairly reasonably priced at £135 (EXCLUDING VAT) I booked it.

After confirming the room details I was taken to a page that offered me breakfast at the reduced rate of £8.99 pp and a three course meal at the rate of £24 pp, both of which I decided to opt for. My confirmation email, clearly showed that these additional extras had been booked and added to the total price. SO far...so good.

I called the hotel to check what time I could check in and was told 2 p.m. I arrived at 4 p.m. only to be told that my room was not yet ready. I was given a complimentary drinks voucher and told to wait in the bar and the reception staff would come and get me as soon as my room had been cleaned and was ready. I was only mildly irriated by this because Im a pretty easy going kind of gal and live less than 10 minutes away so wasnt exhausted by a long journey. Two hours later, and Im still sitting in the bar, my husband arrived at 6 pm and I went back to reception and asked on my room status. The man who had originally given me the vouchers and suggested I wait had gone, a new woman was on reception who seemed very efficient and told me my room was indeed ready and as compensation for waiting so long offered me two more drinks vouchers - so i was somewhat mollified. I checked on the arrangements for dinner, made sure there was a record of my booking the £24 option and checked which restaurant it was in - I was informed it was in the Lion D'or (the posh restaurant bit) and shown the Valentines set menu - which looked quite nice. I was then informed that we could also order from the A la Carte menu if we wanted but would have to pay the difference if the cost exceeded £24. Fair enough i thought, we were happy enough to stick to the Valentines menu anyway. I was also informed that the swimming pool was out of order and that as the rooms were soon to be refurbished (which seems to be the story for many months looking at the other reviews) the jacuzzi baths - the reason i'd booked the room - were not functional - but we were welcome to use the bath..(thanks!).

We went to our room and I will echo what many of the other reviewers say on here..the decor is in major need of refurb. Furniture was shabby, there was an empty minibar which apparently you had to ring reception to have filled, even the room service menus/guest information folder was hidden away in a drawer - the bathroom was disappointingly small - (not how i remember my honeymoon suite which had a large corner Jacuzzi spa bath )- this looked like a normal sized bath with worn, mildewed and mouldy fittings.

We went to dinner, to find - despite my checking - we were not on the restaurant''s list, I reiterated to the maitre'd of the £24 pp deal we had booked and he decided it must have been an oversight by Reception - asked if we were having the Valentines menu - he showed us to a table and asked if we wanted a glass of pink champagne (at no point did he mention it was more than £10 per glass and not complementary as part of the Valentine Menu).

The meal was adequate for £24 a head (but would be extortionate for the £45 a head price it cost without the special discount!) service was extremely slow. We waited 40 minutes for the starter which was smoked salmon out of a packet with a blob of creme fraiche, followed by a further 30 minutes for a tiny glass of sorbet. This course was swiftly followed by rack of lamb, and coffee with a few chocolates.

All in all the meal took 2 and a half hours due entirely to slow service, and at the end of it...of course...they wanted us to sign the bill to our room at a cost of £45 a head ...*sigh*...

The next morning - things did not improve much, with Housekeeping knocking and entering the room without reason or permission at a bizarre 8 a.m despite the fact we were checking out that day...and we went to breakfast only to find..once again our room not on the list and we were curtly told that 'breakfast was not included'...we went in anyway as i was assured the problem could be sorted out by reception once I'd pointed out yet again that i had booked the special discount offer online.

The breakfast was a tragic affair...as a local midwife i can genuinely say that I have had better cooked breakfast in the hospital canteen! The fruit selection was pitiful. The menu on our table stated that the 'deli' section contained a wide selection of cold meats, smoked salmon and mackerel - when actually it contained a few desultory slices of curling cheddar, a bowl of Babybel portions, a bowl of Austrian smoked cheese portions and some sad looking ham.

The cooked breakfast was overcooked, the hash browns cold and there were only 3 left, the sausages wrinkled and dried up, the mushrooms soggy and the eggs obviously sitting out a fair while. There was no member of staff serving - although we were offered tea or coffee on arrival, we were given a large pot of tea, that when it hadn't brewed after 10 minutes, i stirred to discover it contained only one teabag...with no member of staff in sight to complain too. Our table was dirty, contained no butter or jams for toast. All in all the fact that they would dare charge £13.95 a head for this appalling breakfast astounds me.

The only upside, apart from leaving, was that the reception staff were polite and efficient and once i had explained the confusion, my original confirmed price was honoured and we were not charged £45 a head for dinner. However the whole event cost me £250 and I am very very disappointed in what we received for this. My advice, as a local...save your money, go to a premier inn!

Room Tip: Wait til they have refurbished!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Louise W
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Thank you for your recent response following your stay with us for Valentine's Night. We are extremely sorry you have had cause to write such a disappointing review. We are currently investigating all the points you have raised and will write to you by e mail as soon as our investigation is complete. In the meantime, thank you for bringing these points to our attention.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed here for two nights, prior to and returning from holiday.

Firstly lets start with the fact that this is a very tired property, badly in need of refurbishment. I would say it is a very good three star or a poor four star.

The room we were given on our first night was not very nice. It had the smell of dampnesss in the air and looked and smelled as if it had not been in use for months. The window sill had mould. Not a good start but we were tired and it was late so we accepted this and went to bed. We did however complain to reception when we checked out. On our return we had been upgraded to a suite of the night and this was quite nice. The decor was still dated but the suite was warm, spacious and had a lovely four poster in the bedroom and had a decent standard of furnishings.

The bar was understaffed late in the evening and we found ourselves waiting on the barman to appear so that we could order more drinks on a couple of occasions..

We ate breakfast at the hotel on both occasions and the quality of the bacon and sausages was again not befitting a four star property. The breakfast was however cooked well, our eggs were prepared to our liking and the service at breakfast, on both visits, was really quite good.

We also had some time to kill before our flight on our first stay so we spent a couple of hours in the lounge. The service was again very good from the bar and they make an excellent cappucino.

To sum up:

Service - very good from all areas.
The property - badly in need of refurbishment.
Food - The produce at breakfast needs improving.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BeccyGibson
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review. We are very sorry to read that in some areas we did not meet your expectations, athough we were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite on your return stay. We confirm we are a 4 star hotel, having been recently assessed by the AA. We are also aware that some areas of the hotel and some bedrooms are in need of updating - this matter is currently being addressed by our parent company who have a project in hand regarding the renovation of our property. We are sorry you found some areas of service to be below your expectations as well as quality of food served.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review, it is much appreciated.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Our flight was diverted to Gatwick due to the snow when due to land at Luton. Easyjet put us up in this hotel for free until transportation could be organised to continue us on to our destination.

We arrived during the early hours and check in was efficient.

The room itself was a bit of a struggle to get to with two suitcases as not only were there the stairs to contend with but the double doors on the landings opened opposite ways making them difficult to negotiate.

The room and bathroom was clean, well appointed and the bed was comfy. The shower was warm and powerful.

I don't know if it was due to our long day but there seemed to be a lot of light switches and after getting in bed we had to get out to turn one off but covent find which.

Breakfast was nice after a short wait for a table. This was probably due to the large influx of last minute guests due to the easyjet flights. Staff coped admirably in attempt to clean tables, serve tea and coffee etc.

I could not comment upon if the hotel is good value for money as we didn't pay, but I would say if flying from Gatwick again I'd look into staying here.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us when your flight was delayed with the snow. We were very glad to read you were well looked after and cared for by our staff. We do hope we may look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future under different circumstances.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Traveling from Gatwick Airport on January 27th we decided on the night before ‘Park and Fly’ deal at the Copthorne Gatwick Hotel, the deal appeared to be a good rate for the room and weeks car park, about £95. The Hotel standards are fine, but be warned costs of anything else in the Hotel are very high. The main restaurant wanted £34 for a steak, and even eating in the bar the pie & chips and the fish & chips are about £12 a head, add in a couple of drinks and you can easily add £60 for a couple to your bill.
Taxis transfer to Gatwick using Roadrunners, was an excellent service for £12, on our return using Airport Taxis within the terminal was £14. If you travel between 8am and 8pm you can use the bus @ £4.60 each way.
In general an excellent Hotel less than 10 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris S

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us on a park and fly package. We were pleased to read you enjoyed your stay overall and found our close proximity to the airport to be convenient, also the alternative of using a taxi or the shuttle bus to go to and from the airport.
We are, of course, sorry to read you felt our menu was very expensive. Our steak which is priced at £34.00 is top quality sourced fillet steak and served in our a la carte restaurant, the Lion D'Or. Normally, we would also offer our informal restaurant, the Brasserie, or guests can choose from the Library Bar or White Swan Pub. It is possible the Brasserie was not open the night you were with us. We believe our food and beverage prices are priced within a similar price bracket to other Gatwick hotels.
We would like to thank you once again for your review and hope we may look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Came hear with another two familys. After booking and paying for this months in advance, we arrived to find the system hadnt updated and we werent on the records. We waited with hungry children in the lobby until they finally updated and found us on there. My room, the bed wasnt even made, another of our rooms, the tv was broken. Then in the other room, the electrics caused the laptop cable to go up in flames and the smoke alarm never even went off. When we voiced our problems to the lady in reception, she put her hand up and said to go to someone else. Very poor service. Not only were the staff untrained they seemed to have no idea what they were doing. Very rude. I would not recommend this place to anyone. I will be sure to warn everyone i know and tell them to avoid this place as it can hardly be called a hotel

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Bebe_babe

Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. We are very sorry you were so disappointed with your stay and the level of customer service received. Please be assured your comments have been viewed by our General Manager and the necessary action has been taken. Once again, we are very sorry but wish to thank you for posting your review.
Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
3 mi away
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Sofitel London Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Hilton London Gatwick south terminal

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!