“One of my favorite hotel”

Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I fist stayed at the Copthorne hotel in March 1991 since then ive been back many times.

my most recent stay was i week ago. I get the same great feeling on each visit. Yes like most things not everything is perfect, on this occasion i had a club room, the spa didnt work, the room could have been more in keeping with what i expected of a club room, but it wasnt bad either. I enjoy the ambience of the place, from arrival at the entrance to the propery, the gardens, entering the hotel itself and the helpfulness and cheery friendly attitude of all staff. I particularly like the relaxing feeling i get here and the fact that although such close distance to the airport and London I can feel as if i am a world away from the hustle and bustle of city life. I enjoy the variety and choice offered by the restaurants and will return again and again. I find i get very nostalgic when i think of this hotel and everytime i get tired and ready for a quiet UK break the first place that comes to mind is always Copthorne.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,712)

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Went for a wedding and stayed over night. Wedding was wonderful and service for this was great. Reception had offered to put my bag in my room when I checked in which I thought was nice. But when I retired to my room after the wedding the bag was not there. Didn't really get an apology for this but thank god my bag was finally found. No explanation where it was. Pool/ gym is in a separate building and run by another company so none of the usual comforts you get from a hotel pool like towels and personal service. Toilet was also wobbly. Bu apart from all this the actual hotel/ bar/ food/ bed were good.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This hotel looks very upmarket from the outside and when you walk in however my room was anything but. My room was supposed to be a Quad room but only had 2 beds (1 queen, 1 Single). The room itself was incredibly dated looking but clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was the worst part of the room. There we had broken/missing tiles, walls showing where holes had been quickly filled in and a nasty light fixture was installed. The Shower was a joke as there was not much water pressure and the bath looked very dirty to look at because it was old and in serious need of replacement. Other things that greatly annoyed me was there was a charge to use the Internet and I was unable to use the TV's interactive features because they were disabled. Also there were no childrens TV stations available but plenty of "Adult" channels. Another thing to add. The swimming pool was not in the hotel itself but in a adjacent building used by LA Fitness. Overall this hotel for me did not live up to it's supposed 4 star rating. I have stayed in better 2 star accomodation. The website pictures are misleading which left me with an overall disappointed stay. I will say that the staff were very helpful with all of my requests including getting the right taxi to take us to the airport which is only 10 minutes away and carrying my suitcases up and down the stairs in the absense of a lift/elevator.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This should not be rated a 4-star hotel. The room I had was very tiny, though had reasonable amenities. I had to pay an extra charge for the internet. The hotel is set in a picturesque landscape, quite a distance from the airport, which is also a problem. The airport shuttle bus (extra charge) runs on a schedule each hour from the airport to a few hotels, and vice-versa. Miss one bus by a couple of minutes and you've got an hour to wait for the next one. The shuttle takes almost a half hour from the airport to the hotel. I had an early flight and had to leave the hotel at 04:27 in order to ensure I was able to make a 7 AM flight - very inconvenient. There is a Marriott Courtyard within a stone's throw of the actual airport, which is probably where I'll stay the next time I have to stay at the airport.

Room Tip: I had a "club room" which was located a very long way from the entrance/exit. Since I was...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Our family spent a couple of nights in 2 rooms, in July 2012, when we are staying over for a wedding. The hotel is one junction away from London Gatwick Airport, so quite comnvenient. The hotel is situated in lovely grounds and the buildings are quite old, giving great character, but with more modern wings attached. We were surprised that our rooms were not larger, but were adequate for our stay. They were comfortable, fully equipped inlcuding wifi in the rooms, which we found expensive at £5 for 24 hours. Why do hotels these days charge so much, and not just provide this as a free service!!.
We did not eat in the restaurant apart from breakfast, which had a good selection of food.
The swimming pool was adequate but was quite busy with childrens swimming lessons, so not exactly relaxing.
We would be very happy to stay here again, although we felt that the hotel is now in need of some upgrading.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room, and not just a standard room down a long corridor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank manfromguernsey
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Further to our last stay we have returned to this hotel again and found it to be as relaxing and well serviced as the first time. If anything, the restaurant food and service was even better than the first time.

This is not the most up-to-date hotel in Surrey but has a great ambience for people who do not need to be 'entertained' all the time and who are comfortable just being themselves.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerryGeorge
Reviewed 5 July 2012

When we arrived we had to climb over a tour party of about 50 japanese guests handing out food parcels (i wish i'd taken a couple)
We looked at the on-site pub as an option to eat, but on observing the plates of food in front of people we decided 1970's looking school meals weren't for us, so we opted for the 'fine dining' restaurant - bad move. It was like a scene out of faulty towers. Hugely overpriced, service that was comical and very mediocre food.
Crashing into bed the strange burning smell in the room became very strong. The bedding had been so over tumble-dried it smelt very strongly of burning hair and was so toxic it kept us awake all night.
The airport shuttle bus also runs very infrequently so budget for a cab on top of the bad experience

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nswburgess
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
3 mi away
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Hilton London Gatwick south terminal
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!