“Still hungry!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Hitchin
“Still hungry!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed for one night at the Copthorne Hotel Gatwick prior to flying from Gatwick to Kos for a holiday.
The package was booked through Holiday Extras who were great, helpful, efficient and very competitive on price.
The Hotel was fine in terms of location and facilities, our main areas of concern are as follows:

When we arrived in the dining area for our pre booked breakfast, there was a distinct lack of food and drink! most of the full english breakfast heated containers were empty, there was just one sad looking fried egg and a spoonful of beans on offer!! The fruit juice containers were also empty and there was no bread in the basket adjacent to the toaster!!! I tend not to complain and we sat waiting for things to be topped up, other diners were not as patient and were quite vocal to staff conveying their disappointment at the lack of food and drink on offer!!!! amazingly, although staffing levels were high on the ground, many did not have enough of a command of the English language to be able to freely communicate with the guests, causing obvious frustration among the diners!!!!! We waited half an hour, we did see a few mushrooms and the orange juice container had maybe just a dozen glasses of juice added, otherwise things remained very much the same as they were when we arrived. Needless to say that we left feeling hungry and had to pay for breakfast at the airport!!!!!!
I should add that we arrived in the dining area mid way through the breakfast serving window, so of course one should expect some breakfast!!!!!!

The other minor area of concern was the parking arrangements. We were advised on the website that we could keep our car keys, this was important to us, firstly because I do not like leaving my car keys with anyone, in addition, we would be arriving back in the UK in the early hours of the morning and simply wanted to get in the car and head for home without collecting keys etc.
The car park, although big, gets very congested, it seems that one area is set asside for staff to compact guests cars after the owners leave the UK in order to squeeze more vehicles into the rest of the car park, you are asked for the bay and registration numbers when you arrive and I assume the vehicles are put back into the original bay prior to guest arrival back in the UK. We did not leave our keys, therefore our car was fine, just as we left it.

I have e-mailed the Copthorne Group customer service department advising them of our somewhat disappointing experience at the Copthorne Gatwick and asking for their thoughts on the matter, although this was some three weeks ago now, at the time of writing this, I am yet to receive a response!
I have to be honest, I half expected the customer service staff to be every bit as inefficient as some of the Hotel staff.
One area that didn't disappoint at least!!!

So, in reflection, a nice Hotel, a comfortable room, a good location, staffed in some areas by people with limited English language skills, a lack of food on offer at breakfast, (at least in our case) and be careful with the parking arrangements if you care for your car!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Gatwick8, Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review pertaining your stay with us.

I have noted your comments about breakfast and I am really sorry that you had to go through this experience. These comments will be shared with the team and appropriate training will be carried out to ensure no repeats.

Guests leave their car with us for various durations and to enable us run a smooth operation, we ask them to leave their car at the drop off point and we move these to the larger car park behind the hotel. Imagine, you coming back from holidays and your car is boxed in by other cars and the owners are away on their holidays!!!!!. The moving of cars to the parking area and bringing it back is an added service we provide as good customer service.
We have now reiterated this point with Holiday extra to ensure that guests are aware that car keys have to be left with hotel. However I can assure you that no car leaves the hotel compound at any given time.

I am shocked to read your comment about customer services not getting back to you, as our corporate standard is to respond back to all queries within 48 hours time. I will personally look into the matter and speak to the concerned department.

Once again thank you for spaing the time to write this review and my sincere apologies for the inconvininces casued during your stay with us.

Thanks & Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

nice to stay in a hotel thats oldy looking i always like these type of hotels they are just bit different than travelodge etc. was lovely inside and rooms comfortable and clean would go back again .
although it was quite a way from the airport that didnt matter as it felt like you was in the country wish i had tried the pool but we was only there one night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review reference your stay with us.

We do have a wonderful product and it is so different compared to a conventional hotel. This style definitely makes us unique in the market and I am glad that you enjoyed staying us.

Once again thanks for your review and we will always look forward to your return here to us.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Hello , We have used the Copthorne over the years for simply either leaving the car to go away or if we have a couple of days of things to do with the children near Gatwick. Last weekend for example used the hotel for two nights with kids as took them to Firght Night on the Saturday night at Tulleys Farm. I have since read a few of the reviews out of curiosity..well, yes some of comments are true, but you have to bare in mind that this is just a hotel by the airport, cheap to stay and I gather cheap to park the car these days (whilst on holiday) haven't parked the car here for years whilst on holiday so cannot comment. I would only ever use this place as a sleep over, not a wedding or s[ecial event no. The room we book is fairly large with king size bed and two singles..plenty of space around ..room 407 if interested. The bathroom, could be bigger , but as I say really doesn't matter if not staying for long. Food and drink is again, what you would expect for price paid..The pook if anything..I wouldn't make a habit of using really.I find cold and so did the children, I normally haven;t got the time to use the pool, but it is rather small , no loungers from Mums and Dads to relax so not encouraged to use that ! Otherwise, we find clean for an overnight stay and breakfast is always very nice..We always go for dinner in local restaurants for the evening and then park up at the bar at night once children are sleeping on sofas ..so cannot comment on evening meals..Rather lovely Indian down the road ! happy breaks :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review online.

I am glad that you experienced good stays with us over the years and I do take all the positive & the negative comments you have mentioned in the review onboard. The fitness centre is run by LA finess and please rest assured I will share your feedback with their management team. We do have an excellent chef onboard and we are proud of our offerings in our LionD'or restaurant and maybe the next time you stay I do welcome you to try our menu.

Once again thanks for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

After reception, which was the best area of the hotel, it was downhill all the way. The bedroom, admittedly standard, should be described as basic! The food in the restaurant was so average and the service was even worse. Four star rating!!! How?

Room Tip: Don't !
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review submitted here on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed to read your comments pertaining to rooms, food & service received. I only wish that you had brought this to our notice during your stay and I am confident that we would have gone the extra mile for you to remember your stay with us for all the right reasons. Hotel gradings are done by Visit Britain, and this is done after their unannounced visit to the hotel.

Having said the above, I do apologise for the bad experience you have had with us, and I hope that this will not deter you from staying with us in teh future.

Thanks & Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Copthorne hotels

Christchurch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

This year I decided to stay one night at this hotel and leave my car there for 12 nights while we were away on holiday. That was a great mistake as my car was returned with 2 large areas of damage. One rear door was badly scrapped whilst the other had a deep gouge in it. I could not believe that so much damage had been done. I reported it straight away to the duty manager, who took photos of the damage to send to the manager in charge of the car parking.

That manager then phoned me later that week to explain that as my car was collected from and delivered back to a public car park, the damage could have been done by another guest. I was adamant that as there was damage to both sides of my car, it was more likely to have been done when the car was moved to their long term storage area behind the hotel. She asked me to send her more pictures of the damage and she would look at their CCTV to see if she could ascertain how the damage was caused.

Since then, I have had my car inspected by a number of car body repair workshops and all of them say that the scrape was caused by the car rubbing against a brick wall or concrete post. They then all say that the gouge was caused by collision with a short post or barrier. They were all agreed that the damage could NOT have been caused by impact with another vehicle.

I passed all this information onto Lydia O'Callaghan, the manager who had contacted me but she has failed to respond to my emails. Her lack of response is both arrogant and unprofessional. I will now be taking legal action to recover the costs for repairing my car.

I have included a couple of photos of the damage.

I urge anyone reading this not to use the long term parking facility. I also urge you to boycott this hotel as their lack of care and cavalier attitude needs to be punished to hit their bottom line.

If you are a manager of the hotel reading this then I would welcome a response from you.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Colin-P500
Guernsey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

While the public rooms are quite good the bedroom that we had which needed decorating was pretty dreadful with threadbare carpet, lights that did not work, an overpowering smell of something like creosote, a shower that you had to run around to get wet, a toilet that didn't flush etc etc.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael B
Gatwick8, Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback further to your rececnt stay with us.

We do have a lovely product, which is different to any predictable hotel structure. We have invested in all our public areas of the hotel recently, tidying up and giving it a cleaner look. We are still awaiting on further designs for the public area and bedroom refurb programmes, which we are planning on starting over the next of couple of months. Hopefully this will regenerate our looks and negate all the feedbacks, which you get to see.

Once again thanks for your review and I do hope the next time you are with us, you will remember us for all the right reasons.

Malvern, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

woman on her own paying over the top for the privilege.i dont know how much this cost as it was all in with an overnight trip to LONDON!! and ,unfortunately co- incided with a wedding reception...sat 6th October.
long, long trek to bedroom followed by immediate opening of windows;nylon curtains grey and full of dust,other curtains made in early 80s by look of pattern and edges all faded..Bedroom furniture would probably have been refused in a 2nd hand, spilling-on to- the-pavement junk shop, and apparently constructed of tomato boxes stained brown. there was a lot of brown staining in this room, 307
.the DIY bathroom unit had a lot of it ,the shower was glued up and could not be turned on.what is the point of plastic baths shaped like a shoe insole?saving water?i could hardly squeeze into the space left after the wibbly wobbly design down the sides. the bathroom freebies were minute and smelled of ....nothing.the tv only had 4 channels, the pillows were like 4 copies of the radio times inside the slip and , for a giant bed were only 2.i was a little worried re. the bedside lamps as the brass switches seemed a little past their sell by date. and wobbled.
the restaurant was heaving. 7 pm being our turn,..the brasserie...so called...and the menu was the same as an earlier respondant.chicken fricasse(spelled wrongly) and baked "`ak" according to the maitre d`.i suppose `hake`.(is this a cheap fish?)
the veg option was veg lasagne.
.the other vegetables had only been blanched and were raw, except the boiled potatoes which were fine. so i had a lump of grey fish and several boiled potatoes. there were several in experienced waiting staff on that night(what with the wedding an` all) and they were running round like flies with blue bottoms...the maitre d`, a small italian chap conducting it all like basil fawlty was running everywhere shouting out ... stuff...the starters were awful, plastic ham. ,1/20th slice of horrid melon, heaps of cous cous and boring bowls of salad leaves, undressed.the sauceboat of `dressing` on the side looked grim.grey and glutinous as it perched on the edge of the chiller next to ponds of bright yellow mustard and something else in ugly dishes, wating to fall off onto your shoes
.the desserts were around the other side ,scrambled egg creme caramel and bookers fruit salad and squares of...cake.
at breakfast the next morning further chaos ensued..the wedding guests were still there along with several coachloads like mine and when i asked for milk for my coffee , it appeared 5 minutes later in a cup.`no jyuks lyeft..too myany peepols with weddying peepols,all juks gon`

Hm.
so consequence was milk all over table when it didnt land in my cup.Also coffee made from dust off net curtains.
if you had wanted jam for your toast, or, heaven forfend, marmalade,it comes out of a
squirter, a bit like an optic in a bar.i chose a fingernail size, portion control pack of marmite.

it was all so FRENETIC, exactly the same as the previous night`s dining `experience`

exceptional standards of grass cutting and hedge trimming, though.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank angelgrey
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review online.

I am disappointed to read all your comments about the food at dinner, breakfast and the service staff. I am also surprised to hear the negetive comments on the food served, as we were told otherwise by the tour leader. Given the location of the hotel, it has always been a challenge for us to get the right kind of service staff. However all foreign staff have been enrolled to learn English to aid them deal with all our customers. Irrespective of how busy the hotel is, all guests expectations are to be met at all given times and I will personally look into the issues, take learnings, which will be included into our trainig programme going forward.
I would also like to add that we have emabarked on our refurb projects, just awaiting on final approvals.

Having said the above, I do apologise for all the issues you had deal with and I do hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing us the next time, as we would like to prove that we can do better.

Thanks & Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Sofitel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!