“Dissapointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
London, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I tagged this hotel onto the end of our mini break as a treat for my boyfriend as we had a late flight home. We booked a standard double room, this was NOT what i expected and most definitely not what is advertised on the website.

If you are looking for a dated room, with grubby decor, stuffy, a Bathroom from the 1970's in a hotel that is really a 2* that's disguised by a 4* rating, then this is the Hotel for you.

You had to be under 4 feet to use the shower which has a grubby shower curtain. The basin waste was rusty and broken, the tiles were grubby, the toilet didnt flush properly, oh and we had a man (staff we presume) come into our room at 8am, not sure who he was or why he came into the room at that time of the morning.

When we complained, we had a stand off with one of the staff behind the desk who finally offered us an upgrade but would charge us for it. He was unpleasent and unhelpful. When i asked to speak to the manager, he was the gentleman stood behind the man on the desk who didnt bother to acknowledge us until i requested it. He was also very unhelpful. We finally got shown an alternative room which was equally as bad as the first.

What this Hotel needs to remember is that whether you book a standard room or an executive suite, if your Hotel is a 4* Hotel then all rooms should be worth that Star.

I have one good point about this hotel and that is Martin, he was very very helpful and couldnt do more for us.
Its safe to say that we will not be returning to this, quite frankly dissapointing 2* (at best) Hotel.

Room Tip: Find a different Hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laura N
Gatwick8, Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review online.

I am disappointed to read your comments reference the service you received from my Front Desk Team. I am of the view that you may have a challenging to product, however the team who deal with customers can make the difference and please rest assured the Head of the department has been spoken to and take required actions. Staff members are briefed to ensure that they announce themselves before entering any rooms, which oviously is not the case and this will be revisited.

We are currently going through our refurbishment programme and once completed will negate all the comments we receive about our bedrooms. I have also made note of Martin's excellent customer service, which will be shared with him .

Whilst, I do apologise for the inconvinience you had to undergo, I understand that you have decided not to return to us. I can assure you that your experience is not indicative of our usual high standards and I do hope that you will give us one more opportunity once the refurb has been completed.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
B/WOOD ENGLAND
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Third time we have stayed in the Copthorne this year. Once again we were very pleased with the hotel. We upgraded our room and it was worth it. The room was clean and very comfortable, had a great night sleep. We had dinner in the a la carte restuarant and it was fantastic, expensive but worth every penny. Not the pace to eat on a limited budget. The service was what you would expect, first class. Menu was first class and a great wine list, over spend on the lovely Dom, but we were on the start of our holiday. It is worth pre-booking as you can get a great deal.

Room Tip: Club room much quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Further to your review, I am happy to note that you have enjoyed all your stays with us and the special mention about our LionD'or restuarant and the service received. I will ensure this comments are shared with team and I am confident your praise will be much appreciated by all of them.

Thank you for submitting your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We booked a twin room plus parking here through an agency prior to a flight the next day. On arrival we were told there were no twin rooms available, but when we protested that that is what we'd booked we were quickly upgraded to a Club twin room, which gave us a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

The pre-booked buffet breakfast was excellent, with a superb choice of foodstuffs for most tastes I would imagine.

No problems were noted with the parking, the car did not appear to have been moved during our week away

I would suggest not pre-booking the bus to the airport, it operates only on an hourly or 90 minute frequency, and for parties travelling together is little cheaper than a taxi,

Good value for money, marked down a little as the initial room was not what we ordered and the bus service is inadequate.

Room Tip: Large hotel so it's probably luck of the draw but stand your corner if you don't get what yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review online.

I am glad to note that you had a nice stay with us, even though with some initial hiccups in terms of your room and my apologies for that. All of the comments has been shared with the team and is much appreciated.

We look forward to your continous custom everytime you are in this region. Once again thank you for sparing the time to submit this review.

St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Got a lovely double room last minute complete with oak beams for only £63. Staff are friendly and helpful. Very close to the airport and we'd definitely stay here again. Also close to many pubs and restaurants so well worth staying overnight rather than driving at silly o'clock.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank s1m0ne192
Gatwick8, Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Our hotel is filled with character and not one room is the same as the other, which makes us unique and stand out amongst other hotels. I am very glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and received good value for money.

Thanks for sparing the time to review our hotel and as always we look forward to your return to us at Copthorne Gatwick.

PERTON
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This hotel has restored my faith in good old fashioned service,manners and helpfulness.Reception staff are brilliant and the staff in general courteous and very helpful in every way- well done indeed to all concerned.
When we had a problem with our car the Hotel Manager (Johnson Chacko) was the epitome of what a manager should be i.e.helpful,calm,professional,concerned and honest.I can only commend him and his dedicated staff for all their dealings with us and rest assured we will be back !
Once again thank you Johnson and pass on our sincere thanks to all your staff that we experinced during our stay-some of them are very special.Keep up the good work and thank you once again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GARETHJONES
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review on the trip advisor forum.

I am glad that you encountered good service from my team and it is unfortunate that you had an issue with your car, which we were able to sort out for you. These comments are shared with the team and I am sure they will cherish the positive feedback you have posted.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

A fantastic location, very handy for the airport, a little expensive, but a friendly welcome with great staff. Surprised at WiFi being charged in this day and age........nice gardens and overall a pleasant ambiance! Well worth a visit!

Room Tip: Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for........
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest.

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for the review you ave submitted.

I am glad to see you have enjoyed our hotel, its settings and the service received from our team. Wifi services are provided by a third party and this comes at a cost, which unfortunately we have to pass on to our guests at this stage. However I do need to add the fact we do have packages, which includes wifi available for our guests.

Once again thank you for your review and we are hopeful of your return to us in the near future.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I am a frequent visitor to this hotel despite having a number of other options available to me. I have stayed at this property both on business and pleasure as it caters for all tastes and ages. I have seen a number of changes over the past two years all of which have continued to improve the customer experience.

The hotel has a lot of character with the original building dating back a number of hundred years. It has a number of dining rooms including a buffet option a traditional pub and a fine dining experience in the Lion D'or.

The rooms are also varied but always clean and comfortable. There is also access to a swimming pool and Gym if required. However, the area for me that stands out is the friendly and efficient staff who always offer a welcoming smile and a willingness to help. The lady at the head of Customer Services is Lydia O'Callaghan who appears tow work 20 hours a day and yet will always take the time to speak to you and has a real passion for her work and this hotel with the customer experience as her major priority. She certainly runs a tight ship.

The Reception staff are also worthy of a mention and are professionally managed by Rubel.

Well done to Ali Alavi and his team, please keep up the good work.

Mr Edgington

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Edington,

Thanks for submitting your review.

I am glad you have always enjoyed your stays with us and thanks for recognising Lydia and the hard work she puts into the business. Since Mr. Alavi's come on board, we have moved forward and have carried out lots of changes with our customers in mind and once again thanks for recognising these efforts.

We do wish that you continue to use our facilities every time you are in the area. Once again thanks for all the compliments, I am sure everyone involved will be happy with the recognition.

Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!