“Beautiful Hotel, perfect for Birthday getaway”

Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Crawley, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Hotel, perfect for Birthday getaway”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick is a hotel I know very well because my mum worked there over 15 years, so I have visited it on many occasions. Most recently in mid-November I treated my girlfriend to a night at the hotel for her birthday. This was the first time I had visited the hotel for over 3 years, and the hotel has not lost any of its old English charm.

We were lucky enough to have been put in one of the newly refurbished rooms and it was an exceptionally lovely room. Really comfortable bed and lovely interior design. Only downside was that we couldn't seem to change the temperature of the shower. Other than that, no problems at all.

Enjoyed a lovely meal in the White Swan pub. I had a chicken and leek pie which I would highly recommend as would my girlfriend with her fish and chips. We both had a lovely chocolate torte dessert. Thought the food was decently priced for a hotel. Service in the pub was good, very friendly staff.

Breakfast in the morning was one of the highlights of our stay. The buffet, cooked and continental, offered a wide range of items. Definitely one of the best breakfasts I've ever had at a hotel.

Had many lovely experiences at the hotel in the past and this one was a real treat. Would definitely come to stay at the Copthorne again. Could not fault it in any way.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you so very much for your fantastic review of the hotel following your stay with your girlfriend in November. We are so glad you have such happy memories of the hotel and that everything worked out so well for you when you stayed with us, that you enjoyed the accommodation and your meals. You are more than welcome back any time so please come back soon. Our very best wishes to your mum.
Kindest Regards and Merry Christmas to you all
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Polish first
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

So this is my third stay at this hotel, once again for a company function. Last December my room was old, outdated and not worth the money I paid. Was initially pleasantly surprised with the room I was given this year (406). They've obviously been doing some decorating work in the hotel as the room had modern décor, nicely furnished with a decent sized flat screen TV. Room was very clean with what appeared to be brand new bed linen, bed was comfortable with decent pillows (yay!) and had a pretty good nights sleep.

Now the negatives:
1. My room (along with everywhere else in the hotel) was unbearably hot on entry. Every single radiator was on full blast. I know it's December, but its not that cold at the moment. God only knows what the hotels heating bill is.
2. There was what appeared to be an air con control panel on the wall of my room. This didn't work.
3. The bathroom - ok, but not great. The bath was situated under the pitch of the hotel roof, so if you're anything over 5ft8 you have to stand with your head at an angle to one side to shower. Then there's the issue I noticed last year - sporadic supply of cold water. Plenty of hot water, but warm water coming out of the cold tap? Think the plumbing needs a bit of work. There's also no where to put anything, just a very small ledge above the sink.
4. Windows - only single glazed? As I experienced at 4.15 when a lorry or something woke me up banging its doors - double glazing would certainly help cut down external noise.
5. Car park charges - On checking in I queried the £5 parking charge. As a staying guest I was told that I didn't have to pay the charge for parking overnight, however my colleagues did as they weren't staying in the hotel. Fair enough. On check out the charge was on my bill. To his credit the person checking me out didn't quibble it when I challenged him and it was removed straight away. However, it shouldn't have happened.
6. Drinks - this hotel is incredibly expensive for drinks. I has to pay £5.40 for a Disarrono & coke, £4.20 for one bottle of beer. A colleague paid £22 for two double vodka & Redbull. £22!! How they can charge this amount is beyond me. I know that hotels do bump up the prices a bit, but this is verging on extortionate!

Would I stay here again? Now that I can see they're making an effort on the rooms, maybe. They need to sort out the heating issues, the plumbing and reduce prices on drinks before I'd consider staying in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your most informative and constructive review following your recent stay. We were very glad to read you enjoyed your overall stay, compared to previous occasions and that you found your room to be pleasant and comfortable. I am so sorry you found the ceiling of the shower to be rather low, we really need to be sure to allocate certain rooms which have this low ceiling to smaller people. I am so sorry about that. All your comments have been passed on to our Housekeeper and Property Maintenance Manager regarding your room. the windows, temperature and water. Although these points might seem small they are upsetting and frustrating for the guest so thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. I have also passed your comments on to our Hotel Manager and Food and Beverage Manager regarding the drinks prices. We always check that our prices are in line with similar hotels in the area. We are so sorry about the confusion over the car parking charge and we will check with our Front Office exactly what happened. Normally, a guest is charged £5 for overnight parking if staying in the hotel. Those attending a function and not staying should be given a ticket to exit the barrier. I am so sorry about this confusion.
Thank you once again for your really helpful review and thank you also for taking some excellent photos.
We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Best Wishes and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Kent
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We booked through a company which doesn't let you know where you're going at gatwick until booking confirmed. We were pleasantly surprised to get this hotel with up to 15 days parking and a nights stay. We stayed in a refurbished room. Was done very tastefully and smelt lovely and new. We didn't eat here as the menu wasn't really to our taste being vegetarian and found it quite expensive. We probably would have had breakfast but had an early flight. It is conveniently situated for both gatwick terminals and is so easy to park the car. We couldn't believe how smooth it all went. Staff are really friendly and helpful. We booked a taxi to the airport recommended by the hotel which was £9.50. We used them to come back as well. The only problem was - unusual for me to say this. The room was so hot and we couldn't turn the radiator down. We could open the windows though. We enjoyed it here and the easy parking. We have already booked for our next holiday in march.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent review. I believe you booked a mystery hotel so we are very glad we were chosen for you. We were very pleased to read you had a comfortable stay and found the transfers to the airport all went well. We are so glad you are returning to us next year.
With very best wishes
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel and 9 days parking through Holiday Extras. The hotel is perfectly situated for Gatwick. It is one junction off M23 and within 15 mins drive.
The hotel is comfortable and clean. It is a large hotel so expect little less attention than a boutique hotel. The library bar is quiet and comfortable for an evening pre flight drink. The rooms are clean and spacious. We ate in the library bar which was quite expensive as you would expect. Some of the staff were sometimes difficult to understand and communicate with but again it is a big hotel.
The parking and cost was the deal clincher. It was very very cheap! With the regular transport to the airport for 4.50 and onsite parking you can't argue. Overall I would recommend this package to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay booked through our partners, Holiday Extras. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient for the airport. It is very kind of you to have taken the time to write a review.
With many thanks and Merry Christmas from us all.
Best wishes
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our two year old before our morning flight in December. We checked in with a pram, lots of bags and a toddler and were given a room on the first floor and there isn't a lift! We mainly chose this airport hotel as it had a pool and we thought it would be nice to arrive at the hotel and all go swimming, so we were very disappointed to find the pool is actually the use of a pool within la fitness not a hotel pool and it was closed early as it was Sunday.
We ate in the bar area and ordered food. My partner ordered his and they brought out the wrong thing, so reordered and it was wrong again. I think this was mainly down to the bar staff's lack of English, he had to ask a colleague what we wanted (a bacon bap not a bacon and egg as was stated on the menu- not too difficult) Our room was also much too hot making it difficult to sleep, however the bed was very comfortable and the parking great.
I wouldn't stay here again - it is a lovely looking hotel but for the price I would stay somewhere else.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Arraminta32
Thank you very much for your recent review. We were very sorry to read that you were disappointed with several aspects of your stay. Most of our family rooms are located on the first floor, unfortunately, we do not have a lift but you should have been offered help with your luggage. We have also noted your comments regarding the standard of English of some of our staff who misunderstood you, so sorry about the problems you experienced with your food.
May we thank you most sincerely for your honest and informative comments.
Kindest regards
Best wishes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

To experience a traditional English cottage style Hotel set in rural countryside yet less than ten minutes drive to Gatwick airport , this would be hard to beat !.I stayed three nights in a standard room it was large and airy with TV coffee making facilities, very comfortable bed, extremely clean throughout . The restaurants were always very busy in the evening , and a room service menu is also available. Hotel staff were always very courteous, friendly and helpful enjoyed The hotel is set in beautiful gardens, and is a pleasant walk to the nearby village,There is a pleasant indoor pool with steam room ( best avoid after school hours as there are swimming lessons and the instructor is really loud).20mins bus ride to Crawley for shops and bus stop next to hotel .Would definately stay again .Thank you

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from fire exit as people bang the doors
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bluenile
Thank you very much indeed for your fantastic review. Yes, we are so lucky with our location and our beautiful building, and yet only 10 minutes from the airport. The pictures you took are lovely, thank you very much indeed. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back next time.
With very best wishes and Merry Christmas
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times and have to say that the staff are always there to help. Breakfast is always hot and fresh. The lovely chef Elizabeth always seems to be running about to make sure her customers are happy. It's nice to see such dedication. The food in the bars and restaurant are always good. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Some of the room are in desperate need of a make over. I will keep coming back due the wonderful personal service I always receive.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review following your stay with us. We are so glad you are always well looked after by our staff, that is a great compliment, thank you. Elizabeth is a highly valued member of our kitchen team, many thanks for mentioning her, your comments will be passed on to our Head Chef as well as Elizabeth herself. I wonder which room you stayed in. We have now refurbished over half our bedrooms this year, we are just in our last stage of the project to be completed by 31 December. Our refurbished rooms are very nice and have been receiving some excellent feedback. When you next book, please ask for one !
With very best wishes for Christmas from us all at the Copthorne Hotel Gatwick.
Kind regards
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Regency Hotel Gatwick
Regency Hotel Gatwick
#24 of 28 in Crawley
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!