“Terrible. Avoid at all Cost!”

Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Cambridge, England.
“Terrible. Avoid at all Cost!”
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Firstly, I love to stay in hotels that are not the standard Marriot or Sofitel, something with a bit of character. This hotel could be just the choice. But it's not. Set in a lovely old house, nice bar area and food and dining is fine. The fake fire place is a bit of a atmosphere killer, but a little detail.

The real problem are the rooms. They are dated. The beds need to be binned. The decor is from 30 years ago. The plastering of the walls is uneven and unfinished. They have tried to create a old look, but it just hasn't worked.

The bathrooms stink of mould and damp. (mould on the ceiling). There is no extractor fan so the moisture just builds up.

The rooms are a disgrace and I advise no one to stay here, unless your desperate or some one else is paying!

What a real pity, with a bit of time and money this hotel could easily be the best in the Gatwick area. At the moment it's the worst. Missed opportunity.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Gatwick8, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 23 November 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay. We are extremely sorry we did not meet your expectations, however, thank you once again for your comments which have been addressed.
Yours sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
SUFFOLK,UK
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night prior to flying to the US for a holiday. The restaurant menu was very limited and we did consider going out to eat at a large pub/restaurant which you pass a few hundred metres before reaching the hotel. Wish we had, but we were tired. Ordered a fire baked pizza in the "sports bar" 12 quid plus 3 for partially microwaved pizza and tepid chips. Awful.
Rooms were functional with a lovely view of the garden (overspill car park) and when we returned I found that they must have parked my car under a tree because it took a couple of hours to get all the sap off that had baked onto it whilst I was on holiday.
On the plus side Staff were freindly and helpful, however this hotel is in serious need of an upgrade.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We were very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay prior to your holiday.
Thank you also for your comments regarding our staff, we hope to welcome you back again soon. Yours sincerely, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Copthorne hotels

Weston-super-
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We decided to stay at the Copthorne after looking at the prices for parking for three weeks at Gatwick. We found that we actually got a much better deal having a king club room and parking for 22 nights than having to drive overnight and park at one of the airport carparks.

Our stay there was the start of a holiday during which we got married, and it certainly got us off to a good start. We arrived fairly late in the evening, in pouring rain, and one of the few downsides was that the carparks were very busy, so finding a space took a little time. However, once we got into the hotel itself, it was lovely and warm and had a nice cosy, welcoming reception area.

We were very pleased with our room. Although the furniture is reasonably old, it was comfortable, cosy and we had a nice sitting area and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was fine, with a jacuzzi bath, which was a bit of fun, and a good shower. We got a good night's sleep, which was just what we needed ahead of our trip the next day.

We didn't eat at the hotel that evening, due to the time we arrived, but we did have breakfast there the next morning. Although there was a little bit of confusion about whether or not we had breakfast included in our price, this was quickly resolved and we enjoyed a lovely breakfast in a nice light conservatory. The selection was good, with a range of cooked breakfast items, fruit, yogurts, and meats and cheeses, as well as coffee, tea and fruit juices.

I wished we were there a bit longer, as the hotel is in a beautiful setting, and we glimpsed lovely gardens and areas to walk in.

We then got the bus to the airport, which was about £3.50 each and quite crowded, with just enough room for everyone to get their suitcases on, but absolutely fine for the short journey.

We arrived back quite late, and probably just missed the bus back to the hotel. After waiting a bit, we decided that with a fairly long drive ahead of us, we'd just get a taxi back.

It was a bit challenging to find our car when we got back, as the directions were a bit vague, but all in all, we had a good stay there. It was convenient, welcoming and just what we were after, and got our holiday off to a great start.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for writing such a complimentary review on our hotel. We were very pleased you enjoyed yourselves so
much prior to your holiday. We very much hope to see you again soon.
Yours sincerely, General Manager
Cardiff
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We booked this off Late Rooms and paid £95 for room only which included a weeks car parking. The hotel location is convenient to the airport however the photograph on their website is taken at a very clever angle and does not show the bus stop and all the cars parked around the front entrance. We had an evening meal in the bar area which was very disappointing-my fish and chips was clearly frozen and was tasteless and expensive at £11. The room was fine although the layout of the hotel means you potentially have a very long walk from reception to your room. We didn't use the pool and it appears to be in a different building by the car park entrance.The bus shuttle is not free, £3 per head each way, and does not run at very regular intervals so we ended up having to get a taxi back to avoid an hours wait at the airport.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on our hotel. All your comments have been noted and discussed with our management team. We hope you will consider returning to us before your next holiday. Yours sincerely, General Manager
vancouver, BC
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I travelled for 30 days in Europe and had a long lay over in London, so I booked this close to the airport to get some ZZ's to rest up before a 10 hr flight home. Needless to say, the moment I arrived at the airport trouble began.

On their website, no information of where to catch the shuttle and if it was even offered from the airport the hotel. I asked at the airport and they said to call hotel. I was on the phone for 10 minutes and only got a busy signal. Frustrated and tired, took the cab and paid $14 GBP out of my pocket, after speaking to reception that they had a free shuttle and that the airpot should have known where to send me. And of course the girl at at the reception, said there was no one on the phone and couldn't understand why it was busy.

I asked if they compensate me and bluntly she bluntly said no. Now, the nightmare begins.

She took my Visa and tried to charge it, but it was declined and said there's something wrong with my VISA. I asked her are you sure, (thinking that she is scanning it and not punching it manually) and asked her to try again because I just paid cabby with my VIS and it was fine, plus travelling over 30 days and many hotels, and recently made payment, so I didn't quite understand why it could be declined. She tried again and stated that it was my card.

She hesitantly let me used the hotel phone to call the VISA customer service and immediately they asked me how she is putting in the numbers. After 15 minutes, it has HER who had punched in the wrong expiry date!!! Again, no offer of this kind of stupidity. You'd think that if it was declined, that she would check from her end thoroughly since it was manually entered and not immediately give the card back to me after the first try???

Anyways, I was checked in and my # was 415 and I was never told that there is no elevator (I am only 5'2 and was carrying over 50;bs of luggage), so I declined the offer for help with my luggage. She let me go just like that on my own and not a word about 'there's not elevator'. I think it would have killed her to say it.

I got to my room and it was dingy and everything about the room is outdated 100 years. The bathroom had the most annoying-one hot running water tab on end and the cold on the other. Forget about internet, I won't even go there, absolutely no common sense and so inconvenient to use. I really meant it, 100 years behind.

I went for the 'Authentic' Indian Buffet evening event and the food the worst I've ever had. You can get better in food court in a mall.

I later told another fellow that was working about my unpleasant experiences (not the food) and he gave me 10% discount, making it 10GBP off my room for the night. I asked, you can't even reimburse me for the cab??NO, he said.

I then asked for about the shuttle in the morning and he said it is a free service..long behold. Thank god I had some GBP left bc it isn't free, it costs 3GBP. That isn't the point, the fact is this was never mentioned and I was never told about it as a guest. It would have been a nightmare had I no change left!!

I've stayed in many hotels during my holidays and over 25 years of traveling even in hostels, this has got to be the worst service I've ever received. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL- if you need to use it to fly out the next morning, pay the price for the Hilton, it isn't that much more. Instead of getting rest I needed, I woke up feeling duped!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review on our hotel. All feedback from our guests is treated very seriously indeed. We are extremely sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay and once again wish to assure you that we have taken note of your comments.
Yours sincerely
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I used this hotel for 1 night on a recent business trip. In summary:
-parking is disgraceful. There were cars abandoned all over the place, the "overflow carpark" was a field, which I was forced to access by repeatedly ramming my car into a kerb whilst attempting to use the stack of wood put in place as a "ramp".
- the food is acceptable, but not great. Breakfast was good though.
- The room was clean, fresh and with good facilities. The hotel is well equipped but lets itself down in some areas.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DACSS
Gatwick8, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 4 October 2009
Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We are extremely sorry you found our overflow parking facilities so unsatisfactory. We had no alternative other than to use this overspill field area for parking during this extremely busy period in September. We apologise most sincerely for the inconvenience and hope you will consider returning to us in the future. We were very pleased to read you found our accommodation and breakfast to be of a good standard.
Best regards
Bristol
Reviewed 24 September 2009

The parking at this hotel is dire. We arrived in the evening and after negotiating the cars parked randomly in every conceivable place around the hotel, we ended up on the grass at the rear of the hotel. Thankfully it was dry as it would be dreadful after rain. On return from our holiday we were told that the car was in the same place as we had left it but this was not the case. Anyway, if it had been, several cars would have needed to be moved in order to get ours out. A manager, who didn't seem too concerned that no-one knew where the car was, took the key to try and locate it . After about 15 minutes, he eventually appeared with the car. I can only assume that this kind of thing happens quite a lot as there doesn't seem to be any order in the parking. Although the hotel is well situated for the airport there is probably better available for the same price and without the problems with the parking that we encountered.

1 Thank Happy_Wanderer86
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are extremely sorry about the stress and anxiety you were caused with regard to car parking. We had no alternative but to use our overspill area for extra cars during this very busy period in September, we have every confidence we will not be in this position again and hope you will consider returning to the hotel when you next fly from Gatwick.
Best regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!