“Hotelwas OK, dont try the food!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick

Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Hotelwas OK, dont try the food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

This was meant to be the first day of our honeymoon on our way to Jamaica. What a disaster. The resturant and reception areas is of a good quality. The rooms are dated with shabby decor and mould in the bathroom. The food at the hotel on 21/5/10 was a disaster. The first meal we ordered a ham and cheese pannini and cajun chicken and red pepper pannini. If there was 7 flakes of cheese we were lucky and there was only 1 strip of pepper, It was also cold. I returned the food in disgust. Second meal in the pub Gammon, egg, and chips and sausage & mash with gravy. Chips were cold, eggs were uncooked, the mash was so cold it was if it had been taken straight from the fridge. I returned them both only to be sent the plate of gamon, egg and chips back out in 2 mins thy had grilled the chips and they were burnt and the eggs were as hard as stones. Needless to say I returned it all. Third time lucky I tried the bistro and was reassured thed food would be excellent it wasnt it was still luke warm. I cant tell you how dissgusted me and my wife were with the hotel. The food standars agrency would have a field day here. I would appreciate a call off the manager to discuss. Tel 07779145849

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
Thank you for your review on our hotel following your recent stay with us at the beginning of your honeymoon. We were extremely upset and sorry to read your comments regarding your meals in the hotel. We have already passed your comments to our Head Chef and our Food and Beverage Manager is going to telephone you. We normally receive many compliments regarding our food so please be assured we have taken your comments very seriously. We do hope you had a wonderful honeymoon and that you will consider returning to us in the future.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I would like say that the Copthorn Hotel Gatwick was amazing & Beautiful first we met Sandra upon checking in she was wonderful and a great help.The hotel is a 17th century barn that has been added on and converted the white swan bar is the oldest part of the hotel & the grounds are simply relaxing, romantic & wonderful. Everyone from the Maid staff to the management were helpful, understanding & very knowledgeable about the surrounding areas the cab ride from the hotel into either Crawley or Three bridges range from 6 to 8 pounds. The hotel is close to the Gatwick airport and a train ride from London.

I would recommend the Copthorn Highly to anyone

p.s if your really up for an adventure ask about the ghost lol

pictures will follow later

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review on our hotel following your recent stay. We were so glad to read how much you enjoyed your stay and found the staff helpful and friendly, especially our Front Office staff, Sandra in particular. We do hope you will return soon and we look forward to welcoming you then.
Kindest regards
Ironbridge Gorge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

I am responding to many a negative review...Not that this will be a problem to this very busy well located Hotel!!!!
We were booked in here as we were attending the 1st day of The Royal International Horse show at Hickstead!!!
We knew where it was..so, not a problem locating it...Car Parking is easy and free. Check in was very efficient..Hotel Grounds and Reception are in First Class condition. The staff were VERY Pleasant, Smart, Welcoming and in Full Uniform!!!
The room has everything required of a Hotel Bedroom..It was quiet and clean and comfortable.
We went out for Dinner to a Local Restaurant at Shipley Bridge..But came back to The Hotel for coffee.
Breakfast was Amazing!!! nothing here to complain about at all!!!
I MUST mention the Young Lady who starts work at 5.30am to set-up breakfast which was available from 6.30am..The other staff start at 7.00am. She had set-up the whole place to a fantastic standard..it was immaculate!!! She was very efficient, clean and Happy in her job...unusual nowadays????
Check out was no problem and the hotel was Fully Booked!!!
We stayed last year in a very expensive Executive Room at The Crown Plaza in Crawley..The Copthorne will be MY choice in the Future!!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 1 August 2010
Thank you for posting a review on our hotel following your stay this weekend when you attended the Royal International Horse Show at Hickstead. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and the facilities and service provided over what is always a busy weekend for us with so many guests attending the Horse Show. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff, in particular our Restaurant Supervisor. Your comments will be passed on to her. Thank you once again for recommending our hotel to your friends and family and we look forward to welcoming you back again for next year's Horse Show.
Kind Regards
San Francisco, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,212 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I stayed here for one night after a business meeting and to be honest I wasn't impressed with the hotel. The reception and the check-in staff left a good first impression, check in was quick, smiling staff etc. However the room wasn't the most pleasant. I was told I had been upgraded to a 'club' room, however I couldn't really see any benefits. The room was a bit of a trek from the main reception - this wasn't an issue for me, however could be for an elderly couple. The room was quite small, the carpet on the floor had a few stains and the appearance in general was rather dated. Added to this I couldn't get the TV to work
I think the majority of the trade comes from people wishing to stay close by to Gatwick and on that basis they will always have a steady flow of people. So not much money has been spent upgrading the rooms, as there will always be business.
I'd say that if you wanted a quick visit, overnight for a flight the next morning, then this place is OK. But definitely no longer than overnight.
As a previous reviewer has said, location is great, hotel leaves a lot to be desired!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel. We were pleased to read you were greeted by our friendly reception, however, we were naturally disappointed that you felt your Club room did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been passed to our General Manager and Head Housekeeper. We are aware our hotel may appear slightly 'old fashioned' compared with some hotels in the Gatwick area and we do have a refurbishment programme which is carried out in stages. Thank you once again for posting your review and we hope you will consider returning to us in the future.
Kind regards,
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I was disapointed with this hotel.
I had to change rooms 3 times upon arrival. Two rooms had air con that did not work. Finally had a room on the first floor. Room is dated and run down. Paint flaking off the walls and mould around the bath and sink. The shower in the bath is low, i'm not tall about 5'8 and it reached my upper back. The roof in bathrooms on the first floor room slope, so even I had to bed in the shower to use it!
First floor room are also without net curtains, so you can't have any daylight in the room with out others on the same floor being able to see in your room. They are arranged in such a way that they look out with a courtyard like arrangement.

Staff are fairly friendly but have to be pushed to resolve problems!
Breakfast is one of he worst I have had at any hotel! Dried fried eggs and over cooked and dry bacon. You almost have to tackle a waiter to have them bring tea and coffee to your table.
The internet access is SLOW! Please do not waste money on it.
This hotel could do with a huge renovation it get it back to modern standards. I'm not sure how it got it's 4 stars!
I have stayed at the hotel several times over the past few months and, alas the quality of the stay has remained the same.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel following your recent stay. We were very sorry to read that you had to move rooms several times and that our accommodation did not meet your expectations. A copy of your review has been passed to our Maintenance Manager who will examine the room you occupied. Please accept our apologies for your disappointing stay. We have also passed your comments to our Food and Beverage Manager and General Manager. We naturally hope you will reconsider and return to the Copthorne Hotel Gatwick when you are next in the area.
Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Copthorne hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

I go on holiday a lot (around 7-10 times a year) and the thing I always look forward to most (in terms of hotel stop-off stays) is the Copthorne Hotel stay before flying with Easyjet, Virgin Atlantic etc at Gatwick.

It's a lovely airport hotel. Near enough to be able to reach the airport quickly, far enough away to be able to enjoy a quiet night's sleep.
Huge bedrooms, nice old-style decor and rooms, with everything you'd expect like desk, drink-making facilities and big bathroom. We had 1 room sleeping 4 of us so there were 2 double beds and a nice big window.
Loads of places to sit, lovely gardens to sit out in as well and you can have a drink (reasonably priced) from the bar.
We had a couple of problems with the TV, lighting and a bed (think someone broke it and they didn't realise), but they were sorted out ASAP.
I think you can park your car there and leave it when you go away but I always use Gatwick parking so I don't have to take public transport to far away from the airport just in case there's a problem.
Must have been there over 15 times, and never had a bad experience.
In fact, I often get nostalgic when talking about this hotel, especially now because I've got the holiday blues, because it holds so many fond memories of being excited before holidays and it's just a lovely hotel.

I would just say that I have also stayed at a Travelodge nearby and by comparison, the Copthorne is so much better in every way. But, when I go elsewhere, I do tend to use Premier Inns because they're very good value for money and if the Copthorne wasn't there I'd use a Premier Inn because they're lovely as well. However, this hotel is always a good start to the holiday and deserves 5 stars in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much indeed for writing such favourable comments about your recent  stay with your family prior to your holiday.     It is always most gratifying when a guest returns to us regularly and continues to enjoy the hotel and facilities we offer.     We do offer long stay car parking at the hotel for guests going on holiday and we provide a shuttle bus service to and from the airport (there is a charge for this).     We do hope you and your family had a fantastic holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back next time.    Best wishes,Guest Relations Manager
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed overnight before an early flight and the service was good and very efficient. Our room was very spacious but probably a bit dated compared to modern hotels. But there were good connections to the airport and including the parking it was pretty good value fo money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and found the shuttle bus to the airport convenient. We have noted that you feel your room was a bit dated - this information has been passed to our General Manager as we are constantly looking to improve our product and we appreciate all constructive feedback from our guests. Thank you once again, I hope we may look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Sofitel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel

Been to Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick? Share your experiences!