“What a gem”

Ranked #2 of 4 Copthorne B&B and Inns
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“What a gem”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here after a days racing at Lingfield on Easter Friday as the curious pig is only 10 mins away. We stayed in the parlour room which was an excellent room with a kingside bed, exceptionally comfortable, and lovely decor. It has little stairs leading to the room which made it feel like your own apartment with a large comfortable day bed/sofa. Lovely touches in the room like illy fresh coffee and white company bathroom products, soft fluffy towels and bathrobes were a great addition.

We had our evening meal and breakfast in the restaurant and on Friday night even though they were fully booked the service was good. The food was delicious I had one of their famous pizzas, one of the best pizzas I've ever had and I've eaten them in Venice and New York! And my husband had steak which came with large chunky chips and a delicious sauce, he asked for it rare and it came rare they weren't scared to cook it as requested as some places do. The restaurant has the same decor as the room and is quirky and stylish with great pictures, oak doors for tables and they give you your bill in an old hard backed book. The wine list is comprehensive and reasonably priced.

Breakfast could not be faulted, cereal, toast from uncut bread which you help yourself to and is in abundance and the cooked breakfast was just what you wanted on the plate no menus just ask for your favourite cooked breakfast items! The sausages were fantastic and it was all served with a huge cafetiere of more illy coffee. Katy one of the staff was extremely attentive and made us feel very welcome.

The only thing that would have made the room perfect for us would have been for the velux windows to have had blackout blinds, they just have regular blinds, which makes it tricky if you want to sleep in as they were quite light in colour but it wasn't a deal breaker for us.

I would suggest the management get up to speed on social media, previous trip advisor reviews shortly before we stayed were not preferable, although we can't see why, but we couldn't see management responding to those bad reviews. Also twitter interaction is poor.

All in all we are definitely going to return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed overnight at the weekend. Lovely clean rooms, very well laid out and even though we had a room at the front we suffered very little noise from the road thanks to secondary glazing. The restaurant and bar was nicely decorated and relaxing, even though it was quite busy. The service was a little slow, but the staff were lovely and friendly. There is a lovely big garden out the back with plenty of seating and had it been a bit warmer we would have made more use of it. The food was very good and the steaks are worth the price. There is plenty of other items to chose from as well.
Would recommend the Curious Pig for a stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stopped off at the Curious Pig on our way home from the airport. Have eaten here in the past but the pizzas had been recommended by various friends so took the opportunity to try one. The pizza is cooked in a proper pizza oven, came to the table piping hot, with loads of topping. And the good news for locals is that they do a take-away! New decor is a great improvement on what was previously The Hedgehog but a bit lacking in atmosphere it being a Tuesday lunchtime. Good service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Uk
Reviewed 4 April 2014

It was a beautifully sunny spring day, and on a whim my husband and I stayed overnight at this charming hotel. The rooms are named after different breeds of pig and we had asked for a quiet room. The room was well laid out with thoughtful touches and was indeed quiet and comfortable. The sunny afternoon was made for enjoying a drink in the large garden, and in the evening we enjoyed a first class meal in the very busy restaurant. To be honest, service was on the slow side, but the staff was charming and the food was worth waiting for - a steak for my husband and a thin and crispy pizza for me. Breakfast was superb and really set us up for the day. What more can I add - oh yes, we hope to return! Thanks to all the staff we met.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had eaten here previously and enjoyed good food however, tonight I ordered slow cooked beef rib to share with my young daughter. The meat came out on a wooden board and we were brought one plate for my daughter to eat from rather than 2 plates so we could be equal.
the beef rib was in 2 pieces. One was fine but the other was horribly overcooked black and hard. It was so dry I barely get a steak knife in to it and it was pretty much impossible to chew. When the waiter came I asked for a replacement and from the start his attitude was uninterested and stuck up. He treated me as if I should be happy to have been allowed in. He took the meat back and asked me to re-order. I said I wanted the same thing but one that was not so overdone. One of the pieces was fine, didn't they have more that was also OK. He walked off calling across the bar to another member of staff 'you can do that one'. Another member of staff came over and said as the dish took 4 hours to cook it should be expected to be like that, they were all the same. In the end I gave up and ordered soup. We were not charged for the soup but were charged full price for the half inedible beef. I don't think we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lisa3uk
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed the meal and the service. Edd who served us was very welcoming and polite. Food came out quickly and was so good, definitely recommend the pizzas! Wasn't too quiet, nor too busy, so it was just right.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for Valentines Day.
The standard of rooms are lovely and the price for the hotel isn't over the top.
Food was lovely but very expensive as were the drinks at the bar.
Missed breakfast as we weren't told it was included in the price which I put down to the check in staff being rushed as he was also manning the bar so a few more staff in the day probably needed .
Would stay here again for a special occasion but probably not if I was just passing through

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
#1 of 4 in Copthorne
Linchens
Linchens
#3 of 4 in Copthorne

Been to The Curious Pig in the Parlour? Share your experiences!