“Just like being at Moms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Penelope Murphy's Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coal Township
Penelope Murphy's Bed and Breakfast
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
“Just like being at Moms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I was in the area on business and wanted to stay at a different place this trip. I stayed at a local hotel last time and it was shabby, unappealing, and in need of repairs.I made a good choice this time; Penny was a great host and makes the best home fries with onions. Breakfast was delicious and plenty to eat. She even packed me a snack.
Her home was clean and it felt like visiting your mother. She is located on a street right off the Shamokin-Geisinger Hospital and is easy to find with signs marking the area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Valheart

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

My girlfriend and I spent the night at Penelope Murphy's on a short road trip in July 2012. This was our first night on our trip, and we were both really pleased with the accommodations. It was my first time in a B&B so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Penelope doesn't take credit cards, and she takes reservations verbally. Very old school, which I can appreciate.

As you pull in, you may notice a bit of clutter in the yard/back area, but it kind of fits with the property. When you walk into the main area when you first come in, you'll kind of see what I mean about it being "quirky." There's a lot of Christmas stuff, and little trinkets around, as well as some brochures for some local attractions. It's a fun introduction to this cute, country place that you'll be staying at.

After checking us in, and taking our breakfast order, we headed to our room, the Victorian Suite. The room was very nice, spacious, and clean. The suite includes a nice sized bed, a big jacuzzi tub, small bathroom, and a little table so you can eat breakfast in private in the morning. They even put out a nice scented candle to make the room smell nice, and a few small candles by the tub. You also have a rear entrance, which leads right out onto a patio with a small table and chairs, and right around the corner are a few reclining chairs on the lawn.

The room has that nice B&B charm that you always see in the ads, but it also has a sense of privacy that I really enjoyed. It was nice to spend some time relaxing on the chairs at night under the stars, and then have our morning breakfast outside on the patio.

The only thing I could think of to warn people of (other than the no credit card policy) is that there is no stand up shower. There is a handheld shower in the tub, kind of European style. I had absolutely no issue with this, but it's something that some more particular travelers might like to know.

Overall, I'm really glad that we chose this B&B and that we decided to spend the extra few dollars for the Victorian suite. I felt that the charm, privacy, and cleanliness really helped make this a great start to our trip. Penelope is friendly, direct, and willing to help. I would definitely look to stay here again when visiting the area.

Room Tip: While I didn't really see the other rooms, if you're staying as a couple, I would definitely...