“Paradise on Earth”

and 1 more site!
Serenity Beaches Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Uoleva Island
Reviewed 14 July 2014

If you look for the Paradise on Earth, go to Serenity Beaches. We spent six nights and we wish we could have stayed much longer. Really nice rooms and beautiful restaurant. All running on solar panels and candles. Food is excellent. And Pati will take care of you. If you are lucky, you could even have a campfire on the beach with real Tongan songs (no the cheesy kind you find on other resorts).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jesus M
There are newer reviews for Serenity Beaches Resort

Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a secluded island that is certainly off the grid. The beach is gorgeous and the snorkeling fabulous as well. One of my very favorite things about it is that it’s an eco resort run primarily on sunlight and candlelight! You really start to live by the natural rhythms of day and night again. I had the best sleep! There are wonderful solar lit paths through the coconut palms at night—another favorite thing that I found magical. When you stay on the island, you have the option of beaches on both sides. If one side was windy and wavy, we just went to the other. My kids adored the snorkeling and hiking around the island. We also enjoyed the campfires and special show the staff put on one night.

Speaking about the staff. They are amazing. Everyone is so kind and helpful. The food is fantastic—great portions—very healthy. Another unique thing about the resort that I especially loved was that the meals were served in a gorgeous restaurant overlooking the ocean where you sit with other world travelers and have the most amazing conversations. I felt so connected and content with these great friendships made over food, wine, and yummy homemade chocolate coconut macaroons made from the coconuts on the island. They were often overly generous with the food and I was trying to not overeat. Everyone else seemed to love it though.

We loved the eco resort style of candlelight and walls that open to the private ocean views and tropical greenery. The fales are lovely, private, and have their own ocean views. We had the opportunity to stay on both sides of the island and liked them equally as well. Although it was easier with my kids to have them stay in the fales with the loft space above.

While the whale viewing was great, and I understand that is a real highlight for most people visiting, but I think I would just as well go when it is off season. For me, one of the things I loved most is that I didn’t feel compelled to run around and make sure I “did” everything. I was able to relax, take time to myself, read, rest, and regenerate. By the time I returned home I was on a completely different speed and I have been able to retain a more mindful way of living—the best souvenir I’ve ever brought home with me. I think this is due to the size, simplicity, and true serenity of this one-of-a kind resort. I will definitely go back—hopefully soon. Wish it was closer!

One of the things I would love to do is to go on a retreat there. I wish they would provide some in the future. The massage was also the best I’ve ever had. Patti, the owner, used to do massages at the famous Four Seasons in Hawaii. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Each room is unique and wonderful. I loved both sides of the island equally well. My kids loved the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank relaxrefresh
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We went for the whale swimming but that was frustrated thanks to Ha'apai Whale and Sail (rogue trader), however by pure serendipity we discovered Serenity- a brilliant consolation. We transferred from Lifuka with Selassie (he is the only native operator for whale watching in Ha’apai, whose boat has a wet boarding (and the boarding area has broken glass- caution), however you are then transported away to a different life. You arrive on the beach where Patti is waiting. You'll be taken to your beautiful Balinese hardwood chalet or Fale as they call it which has no windows but roller blinds. If you're lucky enough to be allocated 'Ika' (they all have names) you only need roll down the right hand roller for total privacy which gives puts you full square in the middle of the sights and sounds of the forest (in which all the fales are situated) and surf. Do not roll down the other blinds and enjoy the feeling of oneness with the forest- wonderful.
At night (everyone has gone to bed by eight!) the staff has quietly rigged the mosquito net (burn the coil and apply any repellent- they bite!) and all that is left is to crawl under, onto your rather thin mattress and hard bed, and feel part of the forest. The only animals around are the coconut-eating Polynesian rats (very small, brown and terrified of humans (they were a food source for centuries) and Polynesian pigs (like small wild boar and equally frightened for the same reason)- you’ll probably see neither though you might hear the rats feet scratching- until they realise you’re there!
The beach is in front of you- just 20 seconds walk from bed to sea, but the dark effect of the forest is that passing boats cannot see the fale- ensuring your privacy. You wake up with the dawn and over for a healthy breakfast- no earlier than 8am.
The showers deserve a special mention. A cold water shower is always there. The hotwater is a solar bag heated on the beach during the day which gives you two brief hot showers at 4pm. We had no luck with them. The plastic tap snapped off one (sand had jammed the spring) and the bag’s handle (which is looped over a nail in a post) snapped on the second. Water emerges from a plastic pipe- gravity fed- which means you must lower yourself to about 5 foot to get any flow.
The bathroom area is lovely and after dinner cast a torch light (torches are essential) in the shower- full of charming (cannibalistic) tiny hermit crabs, clacking away on the shower’s pebble base
The food is excellent, (with some reservations on the coconut chicken -rather spiky and dry). On one memorable night we were served our main dish of succulent mahimahi when suddenly each of us received a side dish of half a large succulent lobster- wonderful. Semi, (Patti’s partner) is responsible for the menu and is ably assisted by the ladies of the kitchen.
Another night we had the staff entertaining us with guitar and song (Tongan men alomost whisper when they talk- this was the first time we heard any volume in their voices!) then a Tongan Fire Dance- real fun; that night we all were served spitted suckling pig- delicious- cooked slowly all day on the beach!
When we were there, there was also a large group present and it became obvious that staff play to the gallery to encourage the groups’ approval and the goodwill of the organiser. They were leaving the night before us and Semi loudly promised us in front of the others, swordfish (he even showed us our steaks) and possibly lobster the next night (our last)- we were told by the group how lucky we were,- once they left, we got…the coconut chicken. We didn’t see Semi again once the group left.
Warning, a beer is TOP10 for a small bottle. No spirits. The hotel guidebook urges you to ask for and drink young coconuts much as you like. We asked and over 11 days received a total of three between the two of us!
Patti is a fantastic hostess and one of her massages (TOP100) is unmissable- she used to be a masseuse at the Four Seasons.
You will not wear shoes during your stay, but a watch is essential. Battery charging is no problem for camera buffs (Australian and US sockets only) during dinner, when the generator runs. There appears to be InterNet coverage if required but we did not use it.
There is a small beach shack, ten minutes’ walk down the leeward beach called the ‘Happy Beaver’ but that is designed for rich Yachties who swim ashore from their anchorages to this beautiful island and don’t mind paying over-the-odds for a beer.
Amazingly there is a clearly preserved ancient pre-Christian kava drinking site with unusual ramps- only a few minutes’ walk from the hotel’s main building. Patti leases the whole peninsula so this lies on her land.
If you’re travelling privately be aware that Real Tonga is a capricious little operation. Despite arranging and confirming our afternoon flights five months earlier, on the day before our flight from Ha’apai, they tried to fly my partner at 0730hrs and me at 1530hrs. If it wasn’t for the tenacious and uber-competent Amba Fuahala (risingsun@kalianet.to) from Rising Sun, it would have been a sour ending to our holiday. She comes very highly recommended- she will personally fight to ensure you have the best room, the finest tour and the smoothest trip throughout Tonga.
Overall, as long as you want freedom to relax and don’t demand four star luxury, this is a happy medium with no worries, a little subtle care and a superb, dreamlike setting.

Room Tip: Choose Ika- you won't regret it- perfect privacy
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NCLPride
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This resort is located on the island of Uoleva which is a sparsely populated island. Other accommodation located on the island includes Captain Cooks Hideaway and Taiana’s (Diana’s) Beach Resort. All accommodation is located on the water. Details can be found on http://www.haapai.to/accommodation.html. Apart from that the island appears largely unpopulated. It is a 45 min boat transfer from the main town (that's if you don't have to wait for supplies).

We stayed in an ensuite room on the southern side of the island. There are only three well spaced fales on this side of the island. The southern side of the island receives most of the weather and was usually windy/breezy but on the up side this meant that there were very few mosquitoes unlike the main area of the resort including the dining area where they were in large numbers.

The room is an open walled fale with an open to nature but private bathroom. While advertised as ensuite, it is limited. It has a western style toilet but the shower is cold with low pressure and the hot water consists of a solar bag (think camping style) they are placed on the beach to warm during the day. This results in a very limited warmish shower at around 4-5 pm only. Don’t think you will get up to a hot shower.

The Good –
Lovely isolated location to fully relax.
Rooms are a nice change and it is peaceful and rejuvenating going to sleep and waking to the sounds of the waves.
Staff are wonderful and helpful, including the cultural shows.

The Bad –
Its location (also a positive) but it means you will waste time with transfers and also limited services offered such as service providers for diving etc.
Drinking water. Drinking water is provided in old empty alcohol bottles (often with green stuff growing at the bottom). Bad if you want to take water with you on a long walk due to the extra weight. My highest recommendation would be if you are going to the island take a large plastic water bottle that you can fill and is clean!
The cost, when compared to other accommodation in the island group.
The internet is free but only available at limited times and in the main area.
No power means some limitations. After a few days we didn’t want to see fried bread again. But I must say they did an exceptional job considering the restrictions.

I enjoyed my time at Serenity but after a few days I was looking for things to do. If that’s the type of holiday you are after then this is the place for you. I am glad we stayed at Serenity but grateful we only stayed a few days and moved on. We don’t like sitting still for too long.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roy650
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Serenity beaches resort has to be one of the most amazing places I have stayed. Patty and her crew look after you so well, the food is incredible, the beaches are picture postcards and the reefs just off shore are some of the healthiest I have ever seen!

Be sure to take some cash as there are no ATM's anywhere near Uoleva, and be sure to book in for a massage with Patty and get her to tell you some stories about the stars she's worked with in the past! Such an interesting person!

The rooms are awesome, taking a shower under the sky in the middle of the jungle is a highlight! They open out on the bluest ocean you can possibly imagine, and you can drift off to sleep at night listening to the waves, and the humpback whales which swim in the ocean around here in winter. (winter time is still 26 degrees and sunny most days)

loved my time here and will be back as soon as i can
Thanks Patty and the crew for looking after us so well, see you again next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Patti and her crew provided us with excellent service and food along with the Friendly Tongan hospitality of the people. Be prepared to be picked up by an island taxi where you will be taken to the little yet main town of Pangai where you can get any last supplies (liquor, snacks, etc.). You will then get on an island boat and shuttled to the island of Uoleva a 50 minute boat ride with wonderful views. My only suggestion would be that they have their own boat for shuttle and activities.
Malo Patti, Semi, Mote and Noa for making us feel at home.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lee side have more of a breeze but are larger. The food is excellent. Fish and fresh ve...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013

What really stands out at Serenity is the staff. They are truly amazing - everyone who helped us during our stay was friendly, polite and genuine. We chose a fale (Dolofini) with an 'en-suite'. This was situated on the other side of the island from the main fale, and was secluded and peaceful, with great sea views. The fale itself is a beautiful building as the other reviews have said. In terms of comfort, it was convenient having the toilet and shower attached to the bedroom. It's worth reiterating what has been said by other guests: the water supply comes from a well, is slightly salty, and is cold. There is a bag of solar-heated water delivered to your room each afternoon for a warm(ish) shower - it depends how sunny it was during the day - but once it's gone, you are only left with cold water again! We knew this but it was still a bit difficult to live with for 5 nights. The bed was pretty hard and we both had backaches each morning. We were also quite shocked by how dark it got at night. The solar lights they deliver are good but they don't provide oodles of light. Don't expect to be able to choose from your suitcases what clothes to wear for dinner after the sun has set! A final note on the fales: take care in the shower as we had a hefty tree branch fall on it while we were staying. Luckily none of us were in the shower at the time!

Our stay was marred by one of us falling sick on the first night. We attributed this to the rainwater which is used for drinking. While nobody else fell ill when we were there, we did ask to switch to drinking boiled water. Having now been to another resort nearby where boiled water is always served, this would be our strongest recommendation to Serenity and its future guests: please boil the water before you drink it! The illness was quite bad and lasted for 3 days. We even took a trip to the local hospital on Ha-apai to get some antibiotics for a related infection! However, through all this, Semi, Moti, Noa and Aki really deserve our thanks for their amazing kindness and attention, making sure our food and drinks afterwards were what we needed to recover.

For whale watching, Shelly and Selessi (the boat pilot who will most likely transfer you to Serenity) are our recommendation. They have a great passion for the whales and approach them very sensitively. We recommend taking tours with them if you have the opportunity.

The food was good while we were there. A little heavy on the garlic and fried bread but generally tasty.

Overall we enjoyed our experience at Serenity. The island is truly amazing and we did the full 10km round trip of the coast. It's stunning! Patti has created a good resort and has employed some outstanding Tongan people who really lift the whole experience to a new level. It is tough place to be sick though, especially as it feels so remote, so please take precautions. Otherwise, don't go there with too many expectations and enjoy whatever experience you end up having - that's what we did, and we have some fond memories that will stay with us for a long time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandy Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Foa Island
Keleti International Resort
White Sands Beach Resort

Been to Serenity Beaches Resort? Share your experiences!