“Great for business away days !”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aldeby
Feather Down Farms at College Farm
Burston, uk
“Great for business away days !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I booked 3 tents for 12 adults for a management planning / team building away day. We spent most of the first day in one tent, it was plenty big enough for us all to sit around two big tables warmed by the wood burner...with the kettle on a constant boil ! The stew and breakfast making where all part of the fun with everyone mucking in. The second day we got out and about on the farm and worked whilst we walked around the beautiful river banks. The farm is a great place for clear thinking, walks, team building exercises etc. perfect location to get away from the hustle and bustle of London work life. Not having electricity in the tents, dinner and drinks by candlelight made the evenings a memorable and fun experience. We will be back.. Thank you Marcus and Lucy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John N

Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

5 days in beautiful countryside with free reign for kids to roam and make friends with 6 other families. Sunflower fields, feeding lambs and horse grooming. Hot water and rustic but comfortable tents. Fantastic welcoming and chilled hosts with Lucy and Marcus and a lovely mix of families when we visited . Lots of lovely beaches and attractions nearby for daytrips- think about crabbing, fishing or long walks.I think best for kids <9 years.

Room Tip: Go for tent 4 if you like company and tent 7 if you want a bit more privacy..
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shanaz M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Me, my partner and collectively 4 children, all boys aged 3,5,6,7... (Eek! ) stayed at college farm for a week mid aug. The whole experience is one I know the children (and we) will never forget... It feels like you have gone back in time ... Family games outside, water fights, bike rides... Good honest fun that kept the children entertained constantly and not a tv or Xbox in sight. Riding to the honesty shop on the bikes, listing what they had taken and managing to cycle home without smashing the eggs was all part of their fun!
The tent is as romantic and twee as it looks online...again you feel like you have been transported back in time to little house on the priarie. It's gorgeous and clean and comfortable and the children loved the cupboard bed.
I think the most important thing about why this farm is so special though is the family. Marcus and Lucy are so warm and friendly and you feel like you are part of their family for your entire stay, nothing is too much trouble, and they go way beyond it being just a 'job' it really matters to them. Even to the point when I asked for an extra pillow Marcus gave me his own one as there were none spare! And Lucy's dad Rick offering to take the children out on the truck to see the cattle and meet the pet cow Dolly!
I would recommend pizza oven night as its is a lovely sociable evening and again Marcus and Lucy chatted as tho they were old friends.
We visited Bewilderwood whilst we were there which is a great day out and Southwold which has a nice little beach, shops and an unusual little game arcade.
And another vital piece of information ....there is a plug socket in the honesty shop where i stood and dried my hair everyday :0) (that's important to us girls!) and where i charged my phone ...not to use of course but just so I could take a thousand and one photos.
I'm sure any featherdown farm experience will be great, after all the tents and everything in it is standard but you cannot buy what Marcus and Lucy offer, its a very special farm and family and i would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Katie C
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Husband, kids aged 9 and 7 and I enjoyed a week's stay here recently. We are camping amateurs and this was the first Feather Down for us, and we absolutely loved it. We loved the unbroken view of corn fields and marshes from our tent, with the swallows and the occasional marsh harrier overhead. We loved grooming the horse, feeding the lambs and the chickens and collecting the eggs from our private chicken coop. We loved that it took half an hour of waiting in the smoke to get a hot cup of tea - it was a slowing down of life, and was really relaxing. We loved the amazing night sky - at 2 am one day, stepping out of the tent, I saw the Milky Way clearly which I've never managed before in the UK. It was the best night sky I have ever seen in the UK.

The hosts Marcus and Lucy were very charming, knowledgeable and friendly and genuinely not jaded from running a place like this (which I have seen in many holiday compounds). Lucy's cake and the picnic we ordered one day were delicious. The granary bread that was freshly baked and delivered to us every morning was worth getting up for.

We were there when it was hot, and there were some flies around. Our mosquito coil worked quite well against them. Also the candles and lanterns are lovely but not very bright, certainly not bright enough for me to read, so you'll probably have limited things to do after dark (as is generally true with camping). I think the tent would be pretty chilly in colder months... we will definitely be going again, but I am going to stick to warmer months.

A fantastic, memorable holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have recently returned from a mid-week break at Featherdown Farms, College Farm, Aldeby. This is the third such stay in recent years and my seventh year in a row at Featherdown. I always attend with my two teenaged daughters and they usually bring a friend each, so we're perhaps slightly older than the typical family set-up but the delights of the holiday never seem to wane.

There are, it seems to me, three key elements of a holiday: the accommodation and facilities; the location; and the hospitality shown by the hosts.

In terms of the accommodation, those familiar with Featherdown Farms will understand very well. Sure, it's camping, but not like camping I knew as a child. The tents are well appointed, comfortable and spacious; I'm usually accompanied by four teenagers and we make do very well. What the tents lack in terms of electricity and hot water, they more than make up for in terms of novelty, fun and a sense of mucking in together. If you haven't seen a Featherdown tent, think of a basic chalet with canvas sides and roof and you'll get the idea. Meanwhile, the facilities at College Farm are great - perhaps the best I've experienced on a Featherdown break. The shop is brilliant, well-stocked with local goods and foods, and Lucy's delicious home-made cakes. The showers are convenient and always immaculately clean. The farm itself has plenty to keep the interest, especially for younger kids, and it's easy to access.

The location is perfect for exploring the area, within easy reach of Southwold, Walberswick, Aldeburgh and many others. The farm is a few minutes' drive from Beccles, a small town that has everything one could need (if not everything one would want). The setting is idyllic, with expansive views and big skies. It's peaceful and calm, an atmosphere broken only by the sound of children playing and the occasional friendly visit from the farm dog, Jasper.

And, finally, the hospitality. Lucy and Marcus are simply perfect hosts. They are enthusiastic and warm, knowledgeable and helpful. They each strike the perfect balance of being on hand to help whilst also leaving guests to enjoy their holiday - despite the demands of two charming little boys and a busy farm. They smile a great deal and always have a friendly word for their guests. At the end of week get-together, gathered around the outside bread oven that Marcus fires up with great skill, they are genuinely warm and friendly towards their guests and make it a really enjoyable affair for everyone. I noticed this week that both Marcus and Lucy had memorised everyone's names, including the children's, which is quite some feat given the number of guests who turn over each week.

In short, staying at College Farm is a brilliant experience. Warm, friendly, comfortable and relaxed, with perfect hosts and a superb location. Go!

1 Thank Mick W
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have to start this review by saying that I don't like camping, or even the idea of camping. However, as we live in a democracy, I was comprehensively outvoted 1 to 1 by my wife, and thus found myself, for a second year running, at a Featherdown Farm with my beloved and our 2 kids ( 10 and 4 ).

Last year we went to Cheddar Gorge, this year to Suffolk. "Interestingly" enough, the 2 are very similar. This is good news if you are a Featherdown Farm fan, not so good it you are me.

Our hosts were great - Marcus approaches the job with just the right attitude and sense of humour. The huts are exactly the same ( down to the coffee grinder and casually left suitcase ) which, to me, makes the whole thing seem slightly artificial ( a bit like authentic italian Costa Coffee being run by Whitbread ).

My children had a wonderful time, and we didn't kill the hen. If I was knitpicking, I would say that the shower block had seen better days, and that it could really do with a proper toilet.

But this is sort of where I get a bit confused by the whole concept of camping, glamping and whatever. You see, Featherdown go to an awful lot of effort to build their tents/huts/whatevers so that they are exactly the same. And they then go out of their way to deliberately build in discomforts. For instance, the toilets really are not nice ( stronger words spring to mind ). As opposed to a toilet seat ( surely one of the great under-appreciated inventions of modern times ), there is just a hole built into a wooden bench. It is just deliberately crude, and, for a 4 yr old boy with unsteady aim, a challenge too far...

Similarly, why can't they put showers in the hut/yurt/tent thingy's ? Doing the 500 yd walk to take a shower at the end of a long day navigating thru cow pats really is not fun, no matter how hard I try to enjoy getting closer to nature ( especially when you hit a cow pat land mine on the walk back in the dark... )

My beloved and I spent many a long night having deep philosophical discussions ( there's not much else to do as there is no electricity and reading by candlelight is not as much fun as it sounds - which is not a lot for starters ) - anyways, we were discussing why exactly do people go out of their way to do this ? I agree that our kids enjoy it, but then they would have equally enjoyed staying in a little cottage ( no prizes for guessing what we're going to do next year ). Seriously masochistic people will go full blown camping, and they will doubtless enjoy the suffering that entails. But I am not quite sure why the "neither fish, nor foul" Featherdown offering appeals ?

That said, they are doing very well, so what do I know....

Other notes, in no particular order :
1) For some bizarre reason, the double bed comes with 2 single duvets.
2) The farm stays lovely and cool at night - very good during a hot summer like we had
3) For a company called Featherdown, they provide the most awful polyester duvets known to mankind, and even worse pillows. Then again , the hard core campers would probably rather sleep on razor blades or something
4) There are lots of bugs in the countryside
5) Southwold nearby is lovely, with a great beach.
6) The farm guidebook recommends a fish restaurant nearby called The Swan. It's like a 70's Berni Inn ( for those who remember these things ) and the fish tastes nearly as old. You have been warned.

Room Tip: They are all the same but try to get one near the showers
1 Thank BigChiefMuffin
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband, 3 year old son and I had a wonderful stay for a week at College Farm. The host farmers - Lucy and Marcus - made us feel relaxed from the outset and were great with our little boy - they are happy for kids to be kids. From a pre-arrival phone call and warm welcome to taking every opportunity to make our 3 year old's stay fun and memorable, we couldn't fault their efforts. Lucy and Marcus went above and beyond our expectations and were so friendly and generous without being intrusive.

The farm is well laid out and the view from our tent was beautiful. Inside, the tent seemed to be even better than it appeared in the Featherdown images - bigger and very clean and comfortable - with crisp linen, pillows and duvets. We all really enjoyed the farm tour with Lucy, the honesty shop was well stocked and all the food we bought was excellent. Apple juice and fresh baked bread delivered from the farmhouse were our favourites! We had baked potatoes on the first night and the ingredients for the stew delivered to our tent another night and both were delicious.

The location is gorgeous, perfect for days out (if you can talk yourself into leaving the farm and animals!) and there are attractions nearby for all ages. We travelled from Scotland and can honestly say the 8 hour drive was worth it. A perfect, relaxing holiday for all 3 of us! Our son loved 'his' animals and is still talking about Tractor Ted, Jasper (the dog) and Ginger (his favourite lamb). I'm sure he will have fond memories for years to come! Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Been to Feather Down Farms at College Farm? Share your experiences!