“Honest Review - Do not ignore the bad points please read!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Buena Vista

ClubHotel Riu Buena Vista
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
“Honest Review - Do not ignore the bad points please read!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just back from a weeks long stay from 11/07/2014 to the 18/07/2014. In all honesty we found the hotel to be a bit of a let down for numerous different reasons which should be pointed out. The hotel looks modern and is very clean both inside the hotel and outside at the pool area. The outside pools are both good with a lot of sun loungers however it was extremely busy due to the peak time of year which made it difficult to find one if you weren't out at 8am like the majority to reserve loungers. Staff are helpful and polite and we received good service with any queries or questions we had, However, some bad points have to be addressed.

Firstly, Playa Paraiso can only be described as a DUMP!! Really run down and shabby looking with next to nothing there apart from the odd shop and non appealing looking restaurants. I would definitely not recommend it if your looking for a resort to walk about in. We got taxis to Las Americas and back most evening which cost around 38 euros return. Only 10-15 minutes in a taxi. The public bus just drove past us so we never bothered attempting to get it again.

Our hotel room was clean, big and spacious with a good sized balcony. We found the bed uncomfortable (two single beds pushed together) hard mattress and a couple of small pillows. The main negative point about the room is the extremely loud noises coming from the floor above the majority of nights. Sounded like furniture being dragged and rearranged, what a racket! No ironing board!!

Hotel entertainment is horrendous. Most nights it was the same, a Spanish women signing Karaoke which ended early. Seemed to be plenty of daytime activities during the day around the pool and outside area though.

All the bars close at midnight and you cannot get food anywhere after midnight either, which I found bizarre. Basically by 1am everyone has left the main areas/bar as they have no choice as everything is closing which is boring and restrictive on Holiday! Not everyone wants to go to bed come midnight!! When we checked out we were told that All Inclusive ends at Midday although we had a late flight and our bus for the Airport was not leaving until around 7pm. We were made to pay an additional 30 euros each to use the all inclusive facilities which is ridiculous when you have paid for an all inclusive holiday in the first place.

Food is generally good with a Buffet style main restaurant and a themed restaurant in the evenings which we did not try! Buffet food is more or less the same most nights but there's a large variety so you can easily have something different each night.

Holiday Advisor was excellent and helpful. Booked us a couple of trips no hassle at all - very friendly!

I think people should be aware of these points before booking this hotel.

Room Tip: Not the A Block 4th floor. Very noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kerri M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a great time here
Great value for money
Employees are great, rooms are great, great balcony, private beach.
The food could vary a bit more, however it is of good quality!
Internet is paid but it has good connections.

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't face the pool if you don't like noise. Room that don't face...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Clara D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have just returned home from two great weeks at this hotel.Never have I been to a hotel with such a great atmosphere.The staff are happy, courteous and nothing is too much trouble.I have never seen such happy staff in all areas of the hotel.The food is excellent from breakfast through to the evening meal always hot and well presented.I also have to mention the hard working animation team the shows they put on where fantastic and yet again always happy and smiling.The rooms are fantastic,very spacious and spotless.I will definately go back to this hotel as I cant fault one thing about it and its nice to see staff who are happy in their work.

Room Tip: A good room is A427 with a great seaview
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Lisa D
St Helens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Spent two weeks at this venue 29/06/14 to 13/07/14 via First Choice.
The hotel is a reasonably modern design with very large public rooms and similarly large bedrooms, im fact, some of the largest bedrooms I have experienced in over 50 visits to RIU Hotels! The pool areas are equally expansive but very busy in peak season (early doors for loungers) Cleanliness as usual with RIU is exceptional.
The All Inclusive drinks are very good with cava available on request, the food was excellent quality and well presented, the Management regularly doing food temperature probe tests which is always reassuring.
The staff at this hotel from the highly visible Director and sub Director were some of the most friendly and accommodating I have ever met at any hotel around the world!
The location is not as bad as other reviewers have made out, a reasonable walk gets you to shops and bars etc. and the complimentary shuttle bus into Las Americas is well organised and readily available with the modicum of planning.
All in all this was an excellent holiday which by far out performed my expectations for the modest price we paid overall.
I returned home and re-booked for Jan 15!!

Room Tip: All rooms are large, the only options are the views you want, pool, sea or mountains.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank AshburnStHelens
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I wasn't sure if this was the case however this is true, I asked the rep at the hotel about this policy and she have me First choices policy on this!! Many hotels operate on good will and allow you to use the hotel! I am disappointed as I have paid for one weeks all inclusive and I am only getting six days as I did not arrive until the late on the Friday night and did not use any of the hotel facilities on the Friday when we arrived! I contacted First Choice 24-7 email help and they sent me back a rather unhelpful email about how hotels differ and some hotel allow you to use there facilities and some offer water etc! I am concerned as this hotel is rather remote and out of the way, not much around the resort, or area! we have to pay an extra surcharge to eat and drink at the hotel after 11am because our holiday is over! Now I don't believe my holiday is over until I get off the plane in the UK! I am very disappoint that this is case as this apparently a 4 star premier hotel. This not a 4 star hotel, I would say a 3 star with good size rooms. The hotel is a large structure with lots of guest, using the pool and sun loungers! The pool and lounger area is too small for the amount of guests, it is too overwhelming for me and my husband and we have just used the balcony as we get the sun most of the day, the only draw back is having to go down to collect drinks, we brought two drinking sports flask things which hold two drinks very well, and we take turns going down to fill these. The hotel as lots of sitting areas to sit in the sun which can be good too I guess. The drinks are ok not anything special. The evening entertainment is rubbish but we don't really like any of this even in the Riu palace hotels! The food isn't great, I again would compare this to a 3 star hotel, you have to line up for dinner, and it isn't a small line, I have been to many Riu hotel and believe this to be very poor and well below Riu standard, and it is not any one have stayed in to be honest! There are lots of families here with small children, just running around! I would say it a too remote for people wanting to have a great holiday and find there is no atmosphere or happiness in the hotel! People in general don't look happy to be on holiday! The all inclusive thing has really irritated me and think the hotel are treating people unfairly as our flight did get us is in to the hotel in until after 12 on the Friday night, so apparently we paid for the Friday all day but we did not arrive until midnight! This will stop me from coming back and I also want to let others know about this issue, first choice don't really care and I will making a complaint about this as

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We took our 13 month old son on his first family holiday to this resort. The service was top rate. At all times staff were courteous and friendly, and we're particularly good at interacting with the little one. Although he was messy at meal times nothing was too much trouble, and we were always made to feel very welcome.

The family room was exactly what we needed, a big enough balcony for both of us to relax on, and access to the bedroom and living room from it. The whole resort was spotless and the pools were great for him and us.

There was a lot of food to choose from, so we could always find something for him to eat. Even though the meal times were a little later an he was used to, it wasn't a problem.

We were very happy and we would definitely recommend this resort to any family nervous about where to take their very young ones!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
4 Thank AMills1982
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked the hotel but was a little nervous after reading some reviews on trip advisor. I really did not have to worry, it took about an hour from the airport with other drop off points along the way which was not bad and check in was easy with just having to leave passports at check in and was told to go explore and get something to eat and drink to which we did and came back an hour later to collect the room key. We did ask travel agent for a high floor over looking pool and sea view and will recommend this to everyone to do and had just that it was fanstatic we could see everything. Right down to the point that a lot of reviews were negative about the food. Yes I can say after the first few days the food was a bit repetitive and bland but this was about to change on about day four with the top restaurant kitchen opening and we could see what we thought was the head chef inspecting and doing the rounds . we did think he may have just been drafted in as it all changed from there the food just got better and better no bland stuff and some great flavours coming through and more choice. I do think sometimes that the repetitive comments may be from lack of willing to try the whole range of food as we could see so many just opting for chips and basic dishes. Please try it all you won't be disappointed. As for the staff absolutely brilliant they will attend and delivery whatever you want and so friendly from check in ,waiting staff,bar staff and the maids that do your room. Now the pool area when we stayed here in late June we had no problems getting a sun bed and parasol but do recommend maybe going down early at busy times with your towels to assure best position for you but not before 8 o'clock as security will remove them. The position of the hotel is a bit isolated but do have some nice walks to do if you want. There is a shuttle bus three times a day to take you to town which takes about 15 minutes well worth doing and there are various times available just makes sure you book early after 6pm the day before.make sure you take plenty of suntan lotion with you as I did find it quite expensive to buy out there two of us got through 4 bottles in two weeks. Going back to your hotel room we had a fantastic layout in the family rooms but think most of the rooms were like this. You get a fridge and a safe and will say that I found the beds a bit hard. Hope this review is useful and I have been very honest oh and WiFi is not good and you have to pay but then again your on holiday to get away from the stress of every day life. Enjoy and relax...

Room Tip: High room with pool/seaview
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,228 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Tenerife
Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#3 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,740 reviews
Bahia Principe Tenerife

Been to ClubHotel Riu Buena Vista? Share your experiences!