“Butlins 15 years ago”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Butlins 15 years ago”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is certainly not a Premier Hotel. What Thomson will tell us to get us on holiday....
We booked for two weeks, and have had to pay for four new tickets to get us home a week early.
Wasted thousands of pounds for this dump.
The holiday rep had become very complacent towards her job, and forgets the reason that she is there.Never on time, and unless she is selling you something couldn't give a monkeys.
It states no ball games or inflatables in the pool, yet all day long you are getting soaked, if you are lucky enough to get a sun bed. Up and out by 6.30am to get by the pools.They charge you £30.00 Euros each on the last day, for the use of towels and drinks. All Inclusive??? You have no choice as you are miles away from anywhere. The beach is a small horrible and uninviting place, where that get the kids from the Rui Club cleaning all the rubbish from it, they say its recycle day, I didn't realise that you could recycle fag butts.....If you have children beware, kids club consists of cleaning rubbish or colouring... The park is falling apart, with a pretty coloured rotten fence to make it look appealing...The meat was cooked on the outside raw in the middle, and unless you like pizza you are doomed.The desserts were limited and the bread was always hard.Noisy all through the night, unless you are on the 9th floor staring into the car park. This is the last First Choice Holiday I take, They have had thousands out of me over the years, and yet there standards seem to be getting worse and worse.... Good Luck if you are unfortunate enough to be staying here... Take plenty of ear plugs, and ensure you have GOOD MEDICAL INSURANCE....

Room Tip: Don't Stay at this Hotel is the best tip I could give...
18 Thank Kathryn686

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was our 5th stay at the hotel. The food is still as good as it always has been. However I have not been before when it is full. BEWARE if your flight back is late in the evening, if you want lunch on the final day you have to pay 20 Euro per person. This is the first time that this has been levied on our visits. There is nowhere nearby to eat so unless you want to go hungry.......The hotel is also promoting the sale of Strelitzia (bird of paradise) flowers delivered boxed ready for your flight home and will assure you that you can carry on board as hand luggage. NOT TRUE if you fly with monarch, you can only put in the hold for a cost of 31 euro. I can imagine other airline are the same. You can buy them airside at the airport in a bag rather than a box. The floors can also be confusing the entrance is to reception on floor 4, and the bars and restaurantis down on floor 3. If you have mobility problems block c has a higher floor at 9. There is only 1 lift serving this floor and this only goes down to floor 4. We were in c936 which benefits from a view of the cove. There is an extra balcony from which you can see the mountains, but access to this is locked. Additionally there are 2 large vertical vents outside the room (don't know if these are for air con), but these have a loud low hum from 7 in the morning until 11 at night and this can be disturbing. There is not enough seating outside in the evening. There is more space available but this is kept clear for the mini disco for children. The restaurant has a capacity of nearly 700 so is very noisy. We found that the best times to eat were early or late in the rear area which was quieter. Although at times this could also be very noisy. The staff try their best but are overwhelmed by sheer numbers and ofter Will not be able to clear or reset tables. There is an outdoor terrace which is lovely to eat but guests will queue for tables. In a morning, the bushes are moved aside to allow thee additional tables in front of the bar to be used. There were loads of kids in the hotel even though it was not school hols at home. But even in winter there tend to be a lot of kids. If you are holidaying with children there is a childrens club. But for adults without children it is hard to find quiet areas without children (apart from corridors, but who wants to stand on corridors even though they are open to the sky). If the hotel put chairs in these areas these would be tranquil spots to carry a drink to and read away from the constant noise.

5 Thank sueann_12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The staff in this hotel are fabulous, the hotel itself is lovely but it's really remote, there is nowhere to walk and only a handful of 'tourist' shops nearby so you feel very remote and isolated. The beach is not really useable but the pools are really good, the food is as expected, a bit samey but fresh. The room we had 717b had a very badly designed bathroom making it a pain to use and the water in the shower was impossible to keep at a sensible temperature but it was spotlessly clean and we only use the room to sleep so it was fine. The Thompson rep babs could not have been more helpful and soon got us extra pillows as you only get one each. Be aware if your flight is a late out they will take your bands off at 11am which is when you have to checkout if you want to stay the rest of the day you have to pay fifty euros. If you go you should do the catamaran trip to see the whales and dolphins it's amazing as is the trip to the top of Tiede. The shows in the evenings were ok, just as you would expect. The kids were really well looked after and there were loads of activities for them although not much for the teenagers. Would we go again.... No.. But only because of the remoteness and our liking of walking in the evenings, no fault of the hotel chain, we have used these before and always really enjoyed them here we tried this one. The weather was unpredictable as being close to Tiede the cloud stayed until about 10.30 I. The mornings although a tour Gide told us they get a lot more rain and bad weather in the north than they do in the south, this hotel being in the South had some great weather, all be later In the day.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen W
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

WE are just back from a week in this hotel. Firstly I have to say this hotel has the nicest hotel staff I have ever come across, form the dining room staff to house keeping. The rooms were very big and 2 bathrooms are very handy, they are very clean and airy.

The hotel is in the middle of no where!! €20 to go into town unless you get the 'Spanish time' local bus which only comes on average every 45 mins. There was nothing around the hotel for anyone to do.

The food was very good and drinks were freely available all day, diet coke on tap all day!

I like other guests was very upset to find out that we had to pay €20 each on the day we were leaving, we had only arrived at 9.00pm the sat before and had to pay for the AI till 5.30. I have stayed at other AI hotels (including other RIU hotels) and have never been charged this. We were very disappointed with this.

I don't think I would return to this RIU hotel, its a pity because the staff were so nice.

5 Thank 13nerak
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The staff at the hotel are the best I have ever come across, the room was huge with two bathrooms and an amazing sea view. Food is good but I have had better at other Riu properties. Main problem with this hotel is the lack of space round the pool, you have to be up way before 8 in order to get a bed with a brolly and not 1 inch away from the next bed, maybe a suggestion to the hotel is to use some of the grounds down by the other restaurant or maybe close that down as they are constantly trying to get people in and have an adult only area with a small pool and sunbathing on the grassy areas.
Would I return, only if I knew the hotel was not rammed to the rafters!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pololo1601
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

just returned on 23/7/14 had to review this hotel as it was so great, staff always polite and friendly. Everywhere was so clean, rooms large and very comfortable. The beds are hard but I asked for a topper for the mattress, and this was done straight away. You do need to be up by 8 if you want a sun bed with an umbrella If you don't mind not having one you take a sun bed from the pile and put it where you want. Food is very good and plenty of it for all tastes. I would return to this hotel again. Don't be put of from negative reviews

Room Tip: we had a twin room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Joyce A
Norfolk
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have just returned from a week at the Riu, Buena Vista and I am shocked by some of the bad reviews. I am struggling to find fault with anything, we had a lovely relaxing time.

We had paid extra for two rooms with sea views and we were very pleased with spacious, clean family rooms with a lovely large balcony.

I had been advised about the sunbed rules (no towels left before 8 unless you stay with your towels) and was pleased to see the security guard politely folding up and taking away any towels left before that time. Fantastic rule and it made things so much easier!

This was the only hard and fast rule I found at this lovely hotel. Nothing was too much trouble, I felt relaxed and special!

We are a sporty family so the activities during the day (football, tennis and volleyball) were a welcome break from the fabulous pools. There is also a great running route along the coastline with fantastic, dramatic views of the mountains, first thing in the morning.

Great quality coffee machine available all the time, soda and slushes for the children on tap as well as beer and sangria. Prosecco and proper cocktails available at the bar. The relaxed atmosphere of the place makes you feel very welcome. I did not meet a rude staff member, seriously!!

The entertainment was very individual and they work so hard from morning to night! The individuals involved in the team are very talented and I was seriously impressed by some of their acting abilities! All of the activities are purely voluntary so you are not forced to do anything. The singers in the lobby were a bit lame and not really needed, a kids disco there would be a better use of space I thought. The shows need to be seen to be believed! Hilarious, and made my evenings!

Thank you to Ryan for making my boys have a great football holiday.

The food was of a good quality, fresh and hot, bit samey but we got over that, plenty of salads, meat, pizza, chips, cheeses. Local dishes too. Themed Restaurant was a welcome change. Good service in the restaurants, very genuinely friendly!

The surrounding area is right on the coast and is rocky and dramatic. The hotel is in a safe, quiet area so if you are looking for a rowdy time, this place is probably not for you. The bars and clubs are only a short taxi ride away.

Our family are pretty fussy travellers with different requirements but I can safely say this hotel catered for it all. Relaxing if you want, sports if you want, good food and drink on tap with no restrictions and you are made to feel special.

I have been on some all inclusive holidays before and this was easily the best and a proper all inclusive. I only paid out to leave a tip for our room maids and for some wifi for the childten. I was never made to feel as if I needed to spend any more where I have in other places!

Thank you Riu, Buena Vista. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2014
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#20 of 57 in Costa Adeje
Bahia Principe Tenerife

Been to ClubHotel Riu Buena Vista? Share your experiences!