“Breakfast disappointment”
Review of The Navigator

The Navigator
Ranked #1 of 2 Swanwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked by phone and requested a quiet room. The lady on the phone replied to book us a room at the rear of the building, away of the street and the pub. Upon arrival, we were told that there was a party at the function room adjacent to our room. This was not told during the booking, although booking was only made a few days in advance, so they must have known already that there was a party booked as well...
Breakfast is basic. A surcharge is asked for any cooked item

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wim D
There are newer reviews for The Navigator

Reviewed 2 August 2014

A comfortable and pleasant place for lunch, nice surroundings and service was good, varied menu, tables far enough apart to feel not in a crowded room, the staff are very pleasant and make an effort to ensure you have enjoyed your visit, plenty of parking.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tarrb1
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stopped for one night as we were catching a ferry the following day. Friendly, polite staff, we didn't eat supper there as we went to the Chinese restaurant about half a mile away back over the bridge (which I must say was the best Chinese meal I have had for a very long, long time! absolutely superb).

We had a double room overlooking the main road. Oh dear - very hot night, very noisy road - tried shutting window this didn't make much difference to noise of the road and it was too hot to keep it closed.

Bed comfortable but shower/toilet room very, very tiny. shower door stiff. DO NOT let unattended children use the shower it can get scalding hot in seconds. Did mention this to the receptionist on checking out.

Amanda C

Room Tip: Unable to comment
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stopped for breakfast is restaurant on a Sunday morning. Offered was help yourself fruit salad, cereals toast & juice, with cooked breakfast being served by a waitress.

We waited around 10 minutes to place our order & then went for fruit salad. We got tea with hot water from a boiler, but it was luke warm,

The cooked breakfast took around 30 minutes to arrive & we were most disappointed with bacon & sausage. One small sausage & I do mean small & one U shaped rasher of bacon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked here as we were spending the weekend with some of my clients who have a boat in Swanwick Marina. We checked in around 6.00pm and were told that the disco would end at 11.30 and the guests would be away by 12.00. We were given the room closet to the room where the wedding reception was taking place and also right next to the car park. Unbelievably they gave the quiet rooms to the people attending the event. Not only were we treated to disco music all night but you can imagine the noise when it finished and everybody was leaving. This is a pub which holds events and happens to have rooms for those people to stay overnight. They have no consideration for anybody else who may want a quiet visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NeilandChrisHartigan
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Would like to say a massive thank you to all of the staff at The Navigator. We had our wedding reception there on 28th June and it couldn't have gone any better. Nick in particular couldn't have done any more for us and was happy to accommodate any request, no matter how small.

All of our guests thought the food was amazing, as did my wife and I. Our guests in the evening all had a great time and the fact the chart room is fairly small made the atmosphere even better.

I would highly recommend The Navigator to anyone that would like a smaller wedding which can be properly tailored to your needs.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nathan and I decided to get married in January 2014, with such a short time framework, we were not sure how we would achieve this. We wanted an intimate venue, a venue not far from home and one with AMAZING food. How lucky we were to stumble across this place - and stumble we did. I visited a few months before the big day and met with the Events Coordinator - Rachael. Wonderful lady! Top quality.
The function room is big enough for 50 people to eat comfortably, the food offered was a choice (not the set menu type) and the room has its own bar and dance floor. So Rachael was able to provide contacts for the resident DJ, Martin Lavender (def recommend him), supported with the food orders and allowed us use of the outside area.
We decorated the room to our choice, purple homemade bunting, sweet jars and a sweet shop. The rest came from the staff - bright white table cloths, napkins, clean and tidy table decorations - all their touches - perfect. They even ordered round tables just because we asked for them. The room was ours from 7am on the day until 11.30pm when the music stopped.
Pimms on arrival (my choice), but beautifully done. And a lovely congratulations sign out the front for all drivers and our guests to see! We were given a complimentary room for the night with bubbles on ice and a beautiful card!
Have to mention the food - my hat comes off the chef. Not an easy job, catering 50 beautiful meals, all cooked to perfection and out on time. The lamb was by far to die for and would recommend to anyone just visiting the place! They included all those fussy eaters, a few kids and even our baby. The buffet in the evening was by far superb and outstanding from anything I have ever tasted - this was food worthy of a meal, not finger food. Beautiful!
Leading on to the service. Chris (Manager), Nick (Assistant Manager) and Rachael, plus the staff team, were AMAZING. Nick was with us the whole day, constantly just checking in with me - just to make sure that I was alright and telling me to eat! I have no idea whether anything went wrong or any mishaps happened because they ensured that I did not need to. I was a princess for a day and they treated me as such. Let alone that I am a complete control freak! They made me feel safe, secure and comfortable - not an easy task on such a big day as you would imagine. Superb service - we received service that I can only liken to 5* hotels.
Every single guest commented on the superb food, service and friendly nature of the staff.
We stayed the night, as you would imagine, we were shattered, having just declared our whole lives to each other!!! Our room was clean, tidy, beautifully decorated and the bed was amazing! It was a pleasure to take off my shoes and crawl into it at 1.30am!
Low and behold, we were greeted by Nick again at breakfast at 9am - it was like he never went home! Smiling and congratulating us! Breakfast was superb, the usual huge cooked breakfast or pastries, both were delicious! We were of course starving!
Some of our guests stayed the night with us and all commented on the lovely ability to crash out at the venue. It really was perfect!

Would I recommend this place to anyone who wants a small (ish) wedding venue - ABSOLUTELY!!! There was nothing that this place would not do for us - if they were able.
In my opinion, this place is an untapped resource for wedding receptions, a secret hidden gem!
Nathan and I are planning on booking and staying for our anniversary!

Our sincere thanks go to Chris, Nick, Rachael and the Team at the Navigator - Love your work guys! x

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanwick
Solent Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
New Place Hotel
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath

Been to The Navigator? Share your experiences!