“Average at best”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Bay
Edmonton
“Average at best”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The scenery is fantastic but the hotel is very rustic. I think that it has a lot of potential but it's so far from anything that I don't expect anything to change at this "resort". The lady at the front desk was welcoming and ansered all the questions that was had about the island.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The towels were thread bare, cheap rags. In fact, the facing was coming undone. The furniture is in a sad state of repair: the bedside table table top was cracking open over its plywood construction board.

The walls were paper thin and you could hear the TV playing in the adjacent room.

The carpeting is very cheap.

Lastly, there is no handicap access to the second floor rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stogieman
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I knew there was no breakfast included here, but I was still a little sad about this aspect since I'd gotten spoiled with breakfast at all the other places I stayed in Canada during this road trip. Front desk lady was very nice at check-in and gave us a pitcher of water to bring up to the room. Finding the location was a bit difficult at night, with no street lights or anything. The room was a bit weathered, but still made for a decent night's stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Tangier
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I realize that check in is at 3 but we booked months in advance with a request for an early check in under the wedding party's name that held the block of room at this resort. We get to the resort and the gentleman ahead of us gets his 2 cabins and also the request of specific cabin numbers and gets to check in early at 11:10 am. We go to the desk next, our cabin is not ready and our request for another cabin would clearly put the reception out and not only that probably another couple/family who I don't want to see in our position. SO we are hot and sticky from 4 hour drive to the resort and was hoping to refresh ourselves in our room - we are asked if we would like to use their new lockers and facility .. I feel that already having the request for early check in plus them knowing that the wedding was at 2 and this was the hotel that was on our invitations, so the bride and groom already had discussion with the Dundee for rooms to be held on their behalf and have someone else in front of you get 2 cabins at 11am and then the reception tell you ,,, well check in is only at 3....not great service in our books.

Room Tip: We had cabins and although not noisy you are placed close together and the cabin I noticed were most...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
King City, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

Well I'm not sure where to start with the pros or cons.
Dundee "resort" (I find myself needing to use the term resort loosely) is very run down and needs a serious face lift! I was second floor and felt I was walking the green mile every time I walked down that long, desolate tacky hallway. Paint and removal of boarder are mandatory to fixing this hall up!
Wifi was crappy at best and didn't always work. (usually a place will have the code written down- not dundee, had to call the desk. Write it down you say, with what not even a pen in the room).
The tv was severely outdated and channels limited! I used my lap top to watch videos as it is 17" and NOT from the 80's. (videos are on my hard drive no need for wifi) The furniture (beds, tables etc etc) are at least 30 years old and in need of attention. The bed was uncomfortable, however the sag in the middle allowed the matress to cover you and this made up for the thin conforters. I was only getting 4-5 hours sleep at most anyway. I was able to use the pillows from the second bed to prop my head a bit. This "resort" (bwahaha saying resort makes me chuckle) needs to INVEST in new linens. I had sheets with me (thanks to this site) so my bed was at least acceptable to get in! Those comforters on the beds are garbage, someone throw them out please! Not only are they an eye sore but they are beyond well worn- they have to be 35+ years old.
~No hair dryer! ~
Carpets felt sandy maybe the vacumn would take care of that.
The POOL was gross- the lining is all messed up and again the years are showing- just based on the esthetics I couldn't use it-
They claim to rent motor boats However when we got there the motors were "broke" so we couldn't rent them! The young girls working there were friendly and payed attention to the guests safety! However just another disappointment from Dundee!
I no longer have small children however it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd let them on the play structure area (swings etc) - rickity comes to mind!
Restaurant - breakfast was ok- it would be a nice touch if the home fries weren't out of a bag and over fried. Eggs were yummy but toast cold. Dinner had seafood soup (chowder) - this was delightful really quite good! Had steak for supper with baked patato and veggies- the steak was burnt on the edges and didn't seem like a good cut of beef ( I'm more of aaa cdn) over all steak, veggies, patato, soup and gingerale + tip was 55$.
service was good however I was the only one in the restaurant. I had a view of the bras d'or lakes- yippee!
I didn't golf however the greens looked well maintained and the view is fantastic.

This resort was cheap (544$) for 4 nights!

My mother was also in this "resort " she lasted one night and left- when I saw her room I got why. My room was a five star compared to hers! It's ashame really because both she and I are potentially repeat customers as we are from the
area. I doubt she'll return. I'd return simply cause I'm a gluten for punishment.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jane B

Travellers are raving about these West Bay hotels

Cornwall
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Just got back from a lovely trip to Cape Breton where we stayed one night at the Dundee Resort. Shared cabin 39 with my sister and husband. Great view of the lake, cabin was clean and weather was great. We took the bedroom with 2 single beds and I must say the mattresses need replacing. They had bends in the center, were very soft-not a good nights sleep. They probably would have been ok for kids. my sister and husband said the double bed was fine. Had dinner in the restaurant at the Golf course and breakfast in the lodge. Both were very good. I did some laundry and went for breakfast and the maid was nice enough to add more time to my dryer so the clothes would be dry. You can rent kayaks, canoes and paddle boats and the water was nice but there are jellyfish. Watch the deer and horseflies, they are fast and furious. Other than those issues, we had a good stay.

Room Tip: Check the beds before you unpack to make sure they are OK comfort wise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sarmayn88
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My husband and I stayed in one of the two-bedroom cottages in early June with our two small children and it was pretty bad. The kitchens are absolutely tiny. They have a full-sized fridge, but the sink is mini, and there is only a stovetop (no oven). Knowing about the stovetop, I only brought foods we could cook in a skillet/pot/etc. but unfortunately the frying pans and pots provided were also tiny. We had to cook most of our meals in two rounds as they wouldn't fit in the cookware provided. Also, we were scared to death we were going to electrocute ourselves as the only place to plug in the coffee maker is a powerbar that hangs off the side of the microwave shelf directly above the sink. If you are a big coffee drinker, bring your own (including filters) as they only give you individual serving packets that make maximum two tiny cups of coffee each.
Other Cons...
*The couch had a giant rip/hole in the top
*There were many unfinished/sloppy workmanship areas throughout the cabin including holes by the electrical outlets.
*The BBQ had no tongs/spatulas/etc.
*The plastic chairs on the front deck looked about ten years old and were dirty and full of black build-up. I wouldn't want to sit in them.
*It was cold while we were there and the heat did not do much to heat up the cabin.
*One of the only reasons we stayed there was for the heated indoor pool, but, alas, the heater was broken and they were "waiting on a part" which I believe I've read elsewhere on here. It must take months for parts to get to CB??!!
*The playground was awful! The equipment was very old. Most of it at least 20+years, I'm sure. The one baby swing was missing the belt to strap the baby in so we couldn't even use that. There were also tons of weeds and it just looked really unkempt. I know it was not the official summer season, but they could at least keep things looking tidy.
Pros...
*The bathroom in the cabin was beautiful! They seem to be recently renovated and it had a beautiful bathtub/shower/sink. Very well done.
*The beds were extremely comfortable!
*The housekeeping staff that came each morning were super sweet and friendly.
Do not be fooled by the "Resort" used in naming this place. It's not worth your money! Very, very disappointing :(

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
The Iona Heights Inn
The Groundswell
The Groundswell
#1 of 1 in D'Escousse

Been to Dundee Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!