“Celtic Colours gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Bay
Oahu, Hawaii
“Celtic Colours gem”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Stayed here 2 years ago after one of the Celtic Colours concerts. Didn't eat here so I have no idea what there food is like. But after the concert there was a session in the pub. My sister and I really enjoyed it. Was a highlight of the trip for us. I was with my gf & sister room was fine for our needs no complaints at all. Would have loved to have gotten there earlier to enjoy the grounds and lake.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This resort is run down. We had a 2 bedroom cottage which was plenty big and had everything we needed. We were lucky to have a renovated bathroom. The kids bedroom had a horrible smell. Very musty!!!
The kids loved it there. We used the recreation area on the Lake. The canoes and kayaks were a big hit. Then we would move on to the indoor pool, and in the evenings would head down to the bonfire. Sadly, the outdoor pool was being fixed and we were not told this upon booking.
We played a round of 9 hole golf. Views were beautiful.
Make sure you get your groceries or whatever things you need before you get there as the closet town is about 25 - 30 minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any renovated rooms or cottages.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank canadagirl91
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2013

To start with me and my family purchased the all inclusive package 2 nights stay unlimited golf with carts and meals. I'm not really sure where to start with this review but you should keep reading if you are an above average golfer (10 handicap for myself) looking to go to basically just golf. This was our second visit to the resort this time we brought more family who all golf. The course layout is very fun there are a lot of easy short holes but some other challenging holes as well. When we were there tho they had obviously had a lot of rain the greens were very water logged and weren't mown the entire time we were there making them even more slow. For some reason the greens never dried up even after 3 days and 5 of the greens were aerated making putting basically impossible. With only paying the 250 dollars its not a bad deal we ended up playing 72 holes in 3 days but if there was actually anything else to do we would have probably done some other things as well, We actually tried to play tennis and they said they had no tennis balls that's really poor and basically just laughable. Everything in the hotel is out dated especially the tvs but we really didnt spend a lot if time in the rooms. The food was actually very good but the service was really slow over 2 hours for supper! The staff was mostly very nice but the lady who takes care of the carts was extremely rude she actually yelled at one of us because we asked to take a cart to take some pictures. we had the unlimited golf so we had the use of carts anyway and there was basically no one on the course at 8 o'clock. The worst thing that happened on our trip was that our room actually had a propane leak from the propane fireplace and the manager sent two workers up attempt to fix it and were told to try and light the pilot light when there was a propane leak luckily my uncle was a deputy fire chief and talked them out of it he convinced them to SHUT the main propane switch off before working on it. This could have been an horrific accident and when we tried to talk to the manager she refused to talk to us we are trying to go over her head so a professional can go ases the situation so no one will be in danger. This story is probably hard to believe but i'm being 100% serious. Anyway after reading this you can obviously assume I would not recommend this place pay some more money and go somewhere better. The list could go on about the problems .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank nrich101

Travellers are raving about these West Bay hotels

Halton Hills, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

we stayed at the Dundee this past July and were highly disappointed. The meals were awful even if they were included in the package. The steak was so gristly I only ate 1/4 of it, the potatoes were so hard you could not cut them and tasted burnt. My husband noticed someone at the table behind us hitting his potatoes and pouring pepper on it to mask the bad taste and giving up. The young ladies who were "serving" us spent most of the evening ignoring us and I had to chase one down to get our dessert and bill, even then when "our" waitress was away from the front desk the other young lady would not take my husbands money for his drink as she was "not our waitress" and he had to wait for our server to come back.

We had a better meal in the little town next to Dundee and in Port Hawksbury we had a proper Thai meal not the white rice with a few green peppers on it and a mild sauce that Dundee passed off at Thai stir fry.

The room was nothing to write home about. Small with an old fashion tube TV which was awkward to watch from the two seater couch. It was on a small table that could not be turned for the two of us to watch comfortably and barely got any channels anyway. Only a small ceiling fan in the one "living" room. There was no internet except in the hallway on the way to the dinning room. The outdoor pool was closed. The "gym" was just painted and reeked of the smell of paint and you couldn't open a window or door to air it out..so I gave up after 10 minutes.
The deck and chairs on our cottage were all peeling of paint and something that look like black mold was on the walls of the outside of the unit. The laundry room didn't work as my husband put in four dollars to find out the dryer didn't dry so we had to hang our laundry including my undies on the rail of the cottage.
Room staff did not leave us any coffee for our next day and had to go get it from the receptionist at the front desk, the only person who as a proper resort worker other than Kathy the waitress we had the first night.

My husband enjoyed his golf games said course was nice but we will never go back there again. We had better cleaner brighter accommodations at a little motel in Kentsville called Adams, and the breakfast was better then any thing the Dundee serviced.

They need a new cook badly. We had spoken to someone who use to work there and they said they had gone thought a couple of them and had laid off staff...and it showed!!!!!

The only good part was the young people at the boat house..we went kayaking and paddle boating. There was no other entertainment at this so called resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deb H
Truro, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed a 3 day 2 night stay at Dundee Resort. Tremendous deal, an all inclusive package including accomodations, 2 suppers, 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and unlimited golf with a power cart. Though we did not use them we also had unlimited use of non powered water craft and beach facilities. Incredible value! Food was excellent, service friendly and efficient, golf course was great and the views amazing! Accomodations were comfortable with good beds. Rates up there with the best deals we have ever had. If you are a golfer, this is a must.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2013

A beautiful location - but our visit there left a lot to be desired. Eventually found the resort as they have posted signs at various places along the back country roads leading to it.

Our reservation was made by their reservation office returning my phone call to book (I met with an answering machine asking for my phone number) and despite that - there was no record of our reservation upon arrival. The lady on reception, it must be noted, was hospitality itself, ensuring that although none of our reservation was on file - we did receive an accommodation, albeit not what we had originally requested. We originally had been told we would have two double beds in a room with a balcony overlooking the lakes. We received instead a king bed in a room without a balcony with a view of the lakes. The receptionist also offered a free breakfast as an apology for the situation.

This property is about 25 km. from Port Hawkesbury, something to note as that is the distance to travel if you do not wish to eat at the resort.

Shortly after our arrival - the power went out. I had to work my way down a long hallway - through doors and down another hallway in pitch black to eventually see a light coming up so I could safely negotiate stairs to get to the front desk and obtain a flashlight. When I stated the situation, the receptionist did place some flashlights on the floors for the sake of safety.
With the power out - this obviously affected the dining situation.

Having been on the road from 9:30 to our 6:00 arrival time - we were not keen on driving back to Port Hawkesbury to go to a restaurant there and then drive back to the Dundee. In retrospect this was a mistake.

The kitchen did the best it could under the circumstances - offering potato salad -which was delicious and still cold (food poisoning with unrefrigerated salads is always a concern), a spinach salad that was mainly spinach with a bare scattering of onion and hard boiled egg (lucky to find a piece of either), some coleslaw and hamburgers and hot dogs that were being cooked outside on the barbeque.

First of all, I am not a big fan of barbequed meats and hamburger and hot dogs are far down on my list of foods that I enjoy eating. The hamburger patties were the thinnest I have ever seen and well cremated. I took one. My husband who has eaten McDonald's burgers in the past said that they actually were thinner than McD burgers. Neither of us were impressed by the meal - ignored dessert completely and were not impressed by the price we were quoted for this.

We really wished we had gone to Port Hawkesbury instead for a meal. After we had mentioned this to other guests waiting to go into the dining room - we went back to our room and shortly after were called by the dining room manager who said she had been told we were not happy with our meal and would not be charged for it. We would have paid for it despite the fact that it was more than the aforementioned McDs and in our opinion grossly overpriced for that which was (unthankfully) received. A very disappointing start to what was planned as a nice romantic getaway.

Our room was a good size and the window overlooked the lake. There was a two seat sofa and two comfortable chairs and a table around the corner from the bed. There was a bedside table with lamp on one side of the bed and the matching table and lamp were placed near the end of the bed- not conducive for a couple that wish to read in bed at the same time. There was sufficient closet and drawer space for anyone planning to stay for a week or so and but they had better bring books or cards for the evening as the television was an old one in a cabinet that was placed in such a position that it could not really be watched well from sofa and was viewable with difficulty from the bed. None of that really matters as there were only a few channels and they seems to be mainly American ones. It was impossible to find CBC or CTV news when the power did come back on that evening.

My husband and I amused ourselves with a game of cards however were not impressed with the table. The surface had been painted at some time and the paint surface had flaked and the surface had a sticky feel to it.

The bathroom was clean on arrival but I wonder how much attention is paid and how much cleaning is done as at home on cleaning a toilet I would flush it and see the water refill. It was not possible to flush this one at first as the chain to the handle was not attached. I corrected this but it did not last and after I'd stuck my hands in the toilet tank three times to reattach the chain and my husband had done it once - he jury-rigged the damn thing so it would work. We commented on this when we left and were told "you should have let us know - we would have sent someone right up". After arriving and experiencing dinner - I had crawled into bed. I had no desire to dress again to have someone come and fix the damn thing and the second day we were more concerned about getting away early to drive to Louisbourg for the day, and frankly forgot to mention it when we returned to the resort that night.

Meals at the resort - frankly are overpriced for the food on offer. The service is poor. The server we had was very pleasant but service is slow, and you can wait for coffee or tea to come back to the table and wait even longer to get your bill. At breakfast both mornings I got up myself to refill my tea from the pot. A property that calls itself a 'resort' should have well trained staff that gives good, prompt service.

The staff working there is obviously comprised of local people but supplying a uniform does not make a trained staff. These folks need to learn to be attentive to their customers, see that the necessities that should be on the table are actually on the table (lack of jams at breakfast), see that tables where guests have finished eating are promptly cleared (we sat next to a table that was empty when we arrived for breakfast and had finished our own breakfast before that table was finally cleared), and check frequently to see that refills of drinks are supplied. I have never had to get up at a restaurant before and go and get my own tea because there was no wait staff anywhere in sight and no one checking on us. At no time were all the tables full - I would say at breakfast time there were 10 tables at the most so service should have been a priority.

To add to all this - although our first breakfast was a good one - on the second morning we arrived at the dining room to be told that because the computers were down - we could not order from the menu. Instead a buffet breakfast was set up with home fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon (which I do not eat unless well cooked and crisp), ham and sausage (which were delicious) and toast and juices and fruit. Breakfast tasted very nice however to me it is ridiculous in this day and age that because there are computers - no one knows how to take an order - relay it to the kitchen - and write up a bill for it. However - they did cope.

Our second evening we went to a restaurant in Port Hawkesbury and had some darned good Chinese food at a very reasonable price .

Overall we were not happy with our stay there - it certainly did not live up to our expectations of what a resort would be. That being said - although we would not personally return there - this is a place that is ideal for golfers.

It has unlimited free golfing and I believe, although I did not inquire about it, that there are facilities for children there. We could see the water, paddle boats and as I said earlier - the location is lovely.

For someone who want to have a break in a pretty location and is an ardent golfer - this place would suit them very well. For anyone else - the place is overpriced for both accommodation and meals.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie_C1944
New Brunswick
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This tired, run down resort is showing it's age. When's the last time you booked into a room with a 19" Goldstar tube tv??? Try July 2013! Yes, bring you magnifying glasses and be ready for the 6 channels of tv (all from Boston...not even Canada) with a Wearther Channel feed from Kelowna BC.

Zero cell phone coverage in Dundee except for the single bar reception in the AM in the dining room, which I figure was a flooke.

Rotted door jams on the exterior covered over with new untreated pine so the damage was not visible unless you opened your exterior door. Earwigs and wood bugs when you managed to get the door open.

Cold, damp room on the main floor, we ran the heater August 1st to get the humidity out.

Beautiful view, tranquil surroundings, a place to unplug.

I don't golf but it seemed very popular, a lot of people seem to drive in just to golf and drive out at night.

Port Hawkesbury has zero things to do, you need to drive elsewhere for tourist sights, I'd advise you book a room somewhere in the Badeck to Sydney range as that's where you will be driving too when you want to do something.

Room Tip: Keep driving.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Capeway Motel
Capeway Motel
#3 of 3 in Port Hastings
The Iona Heights Inn

Been to Dundee Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!