“Awful”

Ranked #1 of 1 Chelmarsh B&B and Inns
Truro, United Kingdom
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Was our anniversary. We had travelled from Cornwall to see my husbands parents in near bye village. As a gift they paid for us to stay over night. My husband and I are well known to the locals and had a reasonably nice eve at first. I retired to the room quite early though my hubby stayed in the bar drinking with old friends including the owner Mr King. I could not sleep due to the loud voices directly beneath the bathroom. I went outside later for some fresh air as I was extremely annoyed as my romantic trip had turned somewhat sour. I ended up picking my hubby off the car park floor and nursed him all night as he was sick.the owner was extremely intoxicated and never saw him on our departure the following morning.His wife/partner prepared breakfast but I decided to wait for my husband in the car. An evening like this happens to the best of us but following our stay my in-laws hadn't spoken to me until this Easter due to the owner informing them that I had not stayed at the establishment all night hence leaving my husband alone!!! Gossip! Intolerable!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian W
bull_chelmarsh, Owner at The Bull's Head Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
We would ask that Trip Advisor remove this review, as the couple in question were both very intoxicated and had a severe altercation between themselves. We distanced ourselves from them during the evening, and we gather they had earlier had a family argument and are using us an excuse for their behaviour. Having received other communications from this couple, we may be taking legal action against them.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Recently stayed here to see a guest artist. When we arrived, after travelling through many many country lanes with pot holes everywhere, we were taken to our room. We were given Room 10 - the room smelt old and musty, the bedroom was tiny but the best part was the bathroom - the toilet had handrails and a bumper cushion at the back and the shower had been adapted for disabled people with a chair in the middle of it. Whilst the landlady explained that they were fully booked and this was the only room left, I was not happy with this scenario. On top of this there was mould on the bottom of the bathroom wall. The carpet in both bedroom and lounge area was grubby. In the kitchen area the toaster was rusty, The mugs in the cupboard were grubby and stained. I think that the price does not reflect the accommodation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda D
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed four days whilst exploring the area. All dinners/breakfasts were superb, tasty, nicely presented, & reasonably priced . As this is the onlly hostelry in the village the locals are always in the bar, and tend to come for evening meals for special occasions as food is great.
Landlady extremely helpful and always working, but we saw no sign of the Landlord.

I am reading about spacious well equipped rooms on other reviews so I must ask myself - was I in the same Bulls Head?? Were these the newer rooms block out back?

Our room was in main building but at least it was at the back of the original building, away from the noisy road. Rained hard on two days of our stay but no way could we sit on the beds in our tiny cramped room, (not one chair or table in the room), & had to squeeze round bed ends to the room door. Room accessed by a noisy creaky wooden staircase alongside our room & when the end door opened it crashed you from sleep. The main pub chimmney breast went thro one side of the room and one of the beds was up against it. Room was let as a twin but not one chair or dressing table in the room!! Had to sit on the beds to watch mijute TV with about 2 feet gap between "concrete" beds, both of which were right against a wall which tells you how tiny the room was - it would struggle to be a single. Poor dribbly shower, room hardly serviced, and first night we were frozen. Asked for extra duvets to keep warm and ease the concrete mattresss, which in all fairness were instantly provided.

To summaruise, 5 star food but barely one star accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, away from bar and traffic noise. If you have a bad back, better to go for lun...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CambridgeCat
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stopped Saturday night 1st March for one night. Views were great from bedroom which in itself was en suite, spacious, spotless with coffee tea etc and flat screen tv. The bar itself plenty of character and prices very reasonable with live music as well which made for very enjoyable evening staff very helpful and friendly. After an excellent night's sleep waking to a view of the surrounding countryside breakfast proved to be just the ticket and thoroughly satisfying as was the excellent service from landlady herself.
Recommend this to anyone wishing to get away from it all and enjoy exploring the surrounding countryside, many walks to enjoy but still close to the enchanting small town of Brignorth only a few minutes drive away. We will be back I suspect.

Room Tip: We were in room 1 and very happy with space and views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 4ontours
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

After a recommendation from my partners family, we first went into the Bulls Head on a Sunday afternoon just before Christmas 2013 hoping lunch was still being served. It was and we had one of the best Sunday lunches I can remember. We've since been back 3 times after a good walk and despite the 30 minute drive from our favourite walks at Kinver Ridge, it's worth it. Excellent food and service and a very friendly place. The puddings are worth a mention on their own and finish lunch off in fine style. Great value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

What a lovely pub in the countryside - The Bulls Head is a place I have visited 3 times in the last few months for a lunch time sandwich and drink. I can only say if the quality of the lunchtime snacks are anything to go by, the meals will be brilliant! The pub is very welcoming and has the most fabulous real ales - Wye Valley Butty Bach is fantastic! - and a great selection of food. My brother in law visits regularly as he lives nearby and says they have the best live music in the area - I hope to attend one of the Blues nights later in the year - there are rooms to stay and they look great so will be booking in to save the drive home! Can't wait! If you are in the area, make time to drop in and sample the food, drink and brilliant hospitality!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

This was another return visit to a favourite village with the best of hotels , namely The Bulls Head. As usual the warmest of welcomes from mine hosts Norma and John . I seem to have stayed in most rooms from when I first visited several years ago.They have always been very clean and well looked after. The full breakfast certainly gives you a good base for a day in the Shropshire countryside. Coming home in the evenings to warm surroundings and a bar where you find good real and beers and a sensibly priced wine list.I enjoyed Barrets menu so much, always something different with locally produced meat and veg etc. Then I have to mention the yummie desserts. The live music suits all tastes. Looking forward to my next visit end of March. Joy.

Room Tip: Just mention your requirements at the time of booking and I am sure you won't be dissappointed.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmarsh
The Down Inn
#1 of 30 in Bridgnorth
Wood Cottage
Wood Cottage
#1 of 3 in Morville

Been to The Bull's Head Inn? Share your experiences!