“Afternoon Tea disgrace”

Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rusper
Reviewed 10 September 2013

On receiving a gift voucher for a cream tea for two, my husband and I were looking forward to something special as we had always liked the Ghyll Manor.
On arrival, we were asked where we would like to take our tea, after some suggestions, we were directed where to go, no one guided us to our table and we just sat where we thought was free.
This was the beginning of not a very good experience.

No one greeted us on the patio and a waitress just appeared with a pot of tea and two cups as the table was not even laid, no apology or anything and not much in the way of conversation from the waitress. The tea was not hot and it tasted like it had been sitting for some time.
By this time we were hoping that the sandwiches and cakes would beat our expectations.

Sandwiches, scones and cake arrived all on one long dish, well, very disappointed in the appearance and the quality of the food, the scones were good, sandwiches were bland and the cakes were the worst I had seen in a long time, so much so that I went and found reception to express my unhappiness.. I asked for another pot of tea, this time, could it be hot and not stewed, which did arrive.
The manager, a young man, appeared at our table, he mentioned that the fridge had been leaking and this was why the cakes were soggy, but in all honesty they should not have been served at all. we did not even touch the cakes, He asked what he could do to make amends, I asked what he would suggest and he just offered us more scones, we which we accepted. We couldn't wait to leave.

We have always looked forward to coming to the Ghyll manor and have had some lovely meals and evenings there in the past, we will certainly not be returning for afternoon tea.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laraine A
Nicola C, Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Guest,

I was very disappointed to read your review and to learn of your unsatisfactory experience with us. May I reassure that this is certainly not representative of the usually high standards of service here at Ghyll Manor, and ideally I would have liked to have discussed this directly with you. Should you still wish to do so, please do contact me at the Hotel on 01293 871 571, as I would like to assuage any concerns you have in visiting us on a future occasion.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Find: We stumbled upon Ghyll Manor Country House Hotel whilst meandering through the West Sussex villages, finding ourselves in Rusper. On this sunny, warm and forecast to be 'the last of the best Summer days' we set out to visit a National Trust property but on discovering this lovely 17th Century manor house thought it might be interesting to stop for coffee and lunch, and if appropriate look over the grounds. Well, what a find. We spent the next hour or so being shown various types of accommodation, ranging from self-catering in the cottages to a range of lovely rooms in the oak beamed main house (Feature and Superior) to twin and double standard accommodation in the more modern annexe. All were beautifully furnished and appointed. Deciding to take advantage of the splendid view over the 40 acres of grounds, we ordered coffee and lunch on the terrace. There was an interesting table d'hote 3 course lunch at £25 available, but having a modest appetite we ordered baguettes and chips which came with side salad dressing. Nicely presented and well prepared - the chips were finished to the highest standard and served piping hot. All the staff we met were charming, efficient and informative about the hotel, food, and surrounding area. We left armed with various brochures, including Christmas and well priced Autumn short breaks and will write Part Two when we have made a longer stay with a fuller experience. This promises much .....

Room Tip: Standard rooms are in the modern annexe and have twin or double beds. Feature rooms in the main 17t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sylvanglade
Nicola C, Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

It was lovely to meet the both of you, and have the opportunity to show you around Ghyll Manor - it always looks fantastic when the sun is shining! The team and I are very much looking forward to seeing you at Christmas!

Kindest Regards,
Nicola

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We only stayed there for one night on the 1st September 2013 for our anniversary. Checking in was smooth and efficient, the receptionist was really nice with a wonderful personality; she looked like she really enjoys her job.

We were in the standard room which was of a good standard and very clean. There was plenty of room and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was of a good size and plenty of hot water for the shower, but the shower screen kept leaking water on the floor even though I pointed the shower head towards the wall.

Dinner was really nice in a pleasant environment and good food. There was a good selection on the menu, including Gluten Free options. The waitress was wonderful, really good at her job and very professional.

The grounds and gardens are marvellous with a nice lake at the bottom. There was a wedding on during the day, as they also have a lovely garden area for the ceremony.

The breakfast was very good, being cooked to order so it was fresh and very tasty.

I cannot criticise this hotel in anyway, it's absolutely wonderful and would not hesitate in returning or recommending this to friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John N

Happy Anniversary! I am thrilled that you spent this special occasion with us, and will be delighted to pass over your lovely comments to our colleagues. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Beams Room for our 10th wedding anniversary last week. The room was perfect, as was the whole hotel. When we arrived a wedding reception was gathered on the terrace under our window and we were a little concerned about how the evening would proceed. But after we returned from a drive around the area to get our bearings for the next day, the wedding party had moved to the hall for the evening and we didn't hear anything at all. We both enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant after a drink on the terrace watching the sun set. The food was superb and atmosphere perfect for the occassion.
My wife was woken late at night by bottles or something being moved downstairs, that's the only negative comment we can make.
We'll certainly be returning to Ghyll Manor one day, budget and childminders permitting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Simon H

Lovely review of Ghyll Manor, thank you!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 30 August 2013

This was a perfect overnight stay for us as we were allocated a cottage. Great as we were three people and it's dog friendly too. The cottage lounge had a sofa bed which was comfortable. Fully equipped with tea & coffee making facilities and a good TV. The bedroom was huge and nicely furnished. There is a small gym at this hotel but we didn't use it. The gardens are beautiful and the outside seating is lovely. The restaurant looked rather nice but was fully booked. We went instead to the pub close by and had a nice dinner and drinks. Breakfast was very good. A variety of cooked breakfasts and nice friendly service. Parts of the hotel are a little dated but faded glory suits such a lovely building and gardens.

Room Tip: If travelling with dogs, request a cottage.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynnie97

Thank you for your recent stay as well as your review. It sounds as if you had a lovely time in our Hotel, and also pleased to read how much you enjoyed the room itself. I do hope that on your next visit you will be able to experience the delights of our Restaurant as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ghyll Manor soon,

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed in one of the superior rooms for my birthday, wife my wife and daughter. The room was lovely and spacious with a lounge that backed onto the gorgeous grounds. The only downside was the patio door had dropped so had real trouble locking it once open. There was also a signifcant crack in one of the walls. This was a shame because the room size and location were great. I repored this and although the staff were apologetic, perhaps a small refund could have been offered as the door problem stopped us opening it out. Aside from that, the grounds are beautiful, the staff were pleasant. Mention of the breakfast - different options from the norm and great quality.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Patrick R

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Ghyll Manor Hotel and for providing us with useful feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Regarding your notes about the room, we take all comments very seriously and share them with our staff, so we may solve any and all issues. We hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We got wed here on the 3rd August 2013, just 2 weeks ago today!

To say my expectation was set very high is an understatement, I used to work at Ghyll Manor as the F&B Manager, it was the place I moved 300 miles to work at 12 years ago and the place I met my wife. So the hotel is not only a special place for us but I'd also like to think that I could still turn my hand to managing the place and running a wedding there too. Some might say I am therefore biased in my comments but I'd suggest I'm the opposite. I think I might be Andy's most awkward groom this year (sorry Andy).

But here's the thing, I couldn't have done it better and we wouldn't have changed a thing about our day. The place is lovely, most of the rooms are 5 star standard, and the service was of a high standard too. Andy made sure the day ran perfectly and all our guests were complimentary.

If you're considering Ghyll Manor for your wedding then go ahead, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks to all the Ghyll Manor team.

Richard & Leanne

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard G

Congratulations Richard and Leanne, and thank you for taking the time to post your comments here. A fantastic wedding, with so much meaning for you both! We are thoroughly delighted you have highlighted the service and staff, together with our rooms – we had a hard act to follow, especially Andy!

We look forward to seeing you both soon,
Nicola
Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rusper
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Angmering
Cisswood House
Cisswood House
#2 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!