On receiving a gift voucher for a cream tea for two, my husband and I were looking forward to something special as we had always liked the Ghyll Manor.
On arrival, we were asked where we would like to take our tea, after some suggestions, we were directed where to go, no one guided us to our table and we just sat where we thought was free.
This was the beginning of not a very good experience.
No one greeted us on the patio and a waitress just appeared with a pot of tea and two cups as the table was not even laid, no apology or anything and not much in the way of conversation from the waitress. The tea was not hot and it tasted like it had been sitting for some time.
By this time we were hoping that the sandwiches and cakes would beat our expectations.
Sandwiches, scones and cake arrived all on one long dish, well, very disappointed in the appearance and the quality of the food, the scones were good, sandwiches were bland and the cakes were the worst I had seen in a long time, so much so that I went and found reception to express my unhappiness.. I asked for another pot of tea, this time, could it be hot and not stewed, which did arrive.
The manager, a young man, appeared at our table, he mentioned that the fridge had been leaking and this was why the cakes were soggy, but in all honesty they should not have been served at all. we did not even touch the cakes, He asked what he could do to make amends, I asked what he would suggest and he just offered us more scones, we which we accepted. We couldn't wait to leave.
We have always looked forward to coming to the Ghyll manor and have had some lovely meals and evenings there in the past, we will certainly not be returning for afternoon tea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the beautiful West Sussex countryside, this 17th-century manor house combines both character and charm with warm friendly service and outstanding facilities. With 29 individually designed bedrooms, as well as a stunning 2-bedroom private cottage, it is very much a home away from home for our guests, whether staying for either business or pleasure. The wonderful new Restaurant is a Rosette award winning, completely refurbished in February 2015, provides a relaxing backdrop to enjoy excellent food, with an emphasis on seasonality, simplicity, and locally sourced quality ingredients. During the spring and summer months, you will find fresh fruit and vegetables picked and grown on the Ghyll estate itself. Weather permitting, dining outside on the terraces looking down to the lake is a joy in itself. Ghyll Manor is also a truly memorable venue for special weddings and private parties, as well as business meetings and conferences. Dedicated event planners will coordinate all your requirements to ensure your day is flawless in every way. We look forward to welcoming you to Ghyll Manor soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Hotels.com so you can book your Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ghyll Manor Hotel And Restaurant
- Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant Rusper, West Sussex