“wedding visit”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rusper
hove
“wedding visit”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our son was married here and we had a room for my wife and I and two grandchildren. The hotel itself was in magnificent grounds. The building itself was sprawling but not unpleasant. Prices at the bar were somewhat extortionate. The breakfast was excellent for ordinary guests on our first night but the buffet breakfast post wedding was poor. The hotel managed the wedding excellently. Our room was very large and the four of us did not feel at all squashed. The shower in the bathroom was very poor. Decor was adequate if rather tired. At £205 per night it was a little overpriced. Service was generally very good with one exception.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Adam S, General Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your visit and son's wedding at Ghyll Manor recently, I was pleased to see how much you enjoyed the event overall, particualy in terms of service and the day itself. Your points with regard to the the shower and some parts of the decor are taken on board, this particular room will shortly be refurbished, and we will take your thoughts into account. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Adam Salter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at Ghyll Manor on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal through the CSMA and were very impressed and a real bargain to boot! Hotel was very clean and tidy and the three course dinner was excellent. A special mention goes to the waiting staff, who were very attentive without being overly so. Breakfast was also good with nothing being too much trouble.

Our room was in the newer part of the hotel which had a nice modern bathroom and an absolute joy of a power shower! The free Wi-Fi signal was excellent (for those like me that can’t do without that sort of thing!!) and the hotel grounds are worth a wander around – we went via the Star Inn in downtown Rusper ;)

If I had to find any faults, the TV signal wasn’t very good and the pillows were a bit shapeless and lumpy, but that is purely personal preference. The small desk that constitutes the hotel reception is a bit odd too.

All-in-all a very pleasant offspring free night away! Thanks!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicola C, Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review following your visit to Ghyll Manor. I will be delighted to pass over your lovely comments to our team.

Kindest Regards,
North Liberty, Iowa
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I had stayed at Ghyll Manor on our honeymoon 30 years ago and stayed there again in March 2014. We had dinner reservations scheduled the evening of our stay, but our rental car broke down late that afternoon and we finally arrived after the kitchen closed. The staff at the hotel and the restaurant were all incredibly kind to us. They gave us time to check into our room so we could clean up and change clothes, then gave us outstanding food and service at the restaurant even though all other customers had left. The food was wonderful that night and at breakfast the next morning, and our superior room was excellent as well, with a very modern bathroom and a large wardrobe. But what will stay with us is the memory of the kindness of the staff. Thank you everyone at Ghyll Manor!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BillPee
Thank you for you kind words about the team and the service you received on your arrival to us, and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Ghyll Manor in the not so distant future so that you can enjoy the whole gurst experience.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

we stayed here as a wedding party and the level of service was wonderful from the second we walked through reception. A mutual petrol head admired or WRX and we felt at home immediately.
Our courtyard room was vast , great bed, very peaceful and 2TV,s so no arguing.
The wedding was very well managed and all the staff helped when ever needed.
Spend time walking round the lake and grounds, well worth it.

THANKYOU for a really memorable stay.

Room Tip: pay a bit extra for courtyard rooms they are worth it !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rodders123637
Nicola C, Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Lovely review of Ghyll Manor, thank you. We are pleased to hear that you felt at home; our Cottages have fantastic space overlooking the grounds and courtyard and we have been very lucky with the weather to enjoy the gardens in the sunny Spring, especially for the wedding!

Best wishes,
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I knew of Ghyll Manor through my previous job and I'd always thought it would make a beautiful wedding venue. When we were starting to make our wedding plans we made some initial enquiries and I was thrilled when we were able to confirm our booking there. Every bride is anxious about their big day and you want to make sure it is the perfect day for you and your husband, but also for your family and friends as guests and we were so right to book our big day at Ghyll Manor. We got married there last week and it could not have been any better. Not only did everything run smoothly on the day but we were lucky to have gorgeous Spring sunshine too.

From the moment we booked Ghyll Manor there was absolutely fantastic communication from our wedding coordinator, Karen. Nothing was ever too much trouble, she would always listen to what we wanted, did their best to accommodate our needs and replied to all my endless emails and queries. We arranged a lot of the décor ourselves and all we had to do was describe the vision we had for the day to them and they then ensured that this was created for the day, and it was, perfectly.

My Mum, bridesmaid and I and our two sons, all got ready at the hotel the morning of the wedding and had the gorgeous Ringrave Room. We had an amazing lunch brought to the room and were treated like Royalty. Our Master of Ceremonies, Andy, was also fantastic from the moment we met him on the day.

All in all, the wedding day was fantastic and we could not have asked for anything more. Everyone loved the setting, the fantastic grounds, beautiful hotel, the food, the rooms of those who stayed and the very welcoming staff. It was important that our guests were made to feel special too and this was definitely the case.

We would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again and hope to do so in the future to celebrate Anniversary's! Thank you for making our day so memorable for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: Ringrave room was a beautiful Bridal suite.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank h0lidaymaker2010
Congratulations Helen and John! Thank you for sharing your delightful review on your wedding at Ghyll Manor and awarding us 5 stars! We pride ourselves on our service and it is extremely satisfying when we receive comments like this to know that the team are making sure your weddings is perfect as it can be, from your initial enquiry to the day itself when the sun truly did shine! I will be sure to pass your fabulous comments onto the team here and we are all very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

Best Wishes,
Nicola
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed on a special deal - afternoon tea, overnight stay, 3 course meal and breakfast. Deal was very good value for money. The hotel was lovely, clean and nice staff. Food delicious (well dinner was, breakfast was ok). However we paid £20 extra to upgrade to a superior room which we only did because they didn't have any standard rooms available for the date we wanted. The room was nice and very clean but the bathroom was dated, the shower was broken as was the shower screen, and the bed was tiny. I'm sure it was smaller than a standard double bed. Is such a shame because everything else was lovely but we were actually relieved we weren't staying another night!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Phayma
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Ghyll Manor Hotel and for providing us with useful feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, however I am disappointed to hear your notes about the room. We take all comments seriously and share them with our staff and maintenance team, so we may solve any and all issues. I do hope that we will see you again and if you have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please contact me at reservations@ghyllmanor.co.uk and I will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I wanted to impress a business associate recently and decided to take him and his wife to my favourite hotel. What a mistake that was. I should have had a warning when I walked in to the reception. The beautiful big desk that exuded quality had gone and the welcome is from a table in the corridor. I booked the honeymoon suite (four poster) for the other couple, and another feature room for my partner and myself. They were blown away by the room and ours was beautiful too.
Dinner was booked for 730pm and we came down for drinks at 7pm. So far so good. In to dinner on the dot and were greeted by a menu that really did tax us as to what to order. the main was pigs cheeks or beef casserole, a fish cake or the vegetarian option. we were all hard pressed to choose so all had the Beef. Apparently it was the chefs weekend off. i assume he had done all the cooking before he left and the staff just heated it up. the leek and potato soup was on the menu and was going to appear again the following night. From the same big pot I suspect. We laughed it off and had a few more drinks and spent the evening chatting. The next evening , Saturday we came down for dinner again at 730 and the lo and behold the menu was exactly the same as the previous night. The waitress, who turned out to be the Duty manager did not offer any alternative as in her own words, they were very busy with a party next door. So we got up and left to go and get dinner at the The Plough pub next door. The following day I asked the duty manager for the cost of the dinner to be taken off our bills.This was after a breakfast that would shame a greasy spoon. The hot food was done in a buffet style, no fried eggs only scrambled, the Duty manager later told me our customers prefer scrambled. how patronising is that ? At 930am very little of it had been eaten as it had been lying there since 730am and looked disgusting. I asked to see that evenings menu. The same again but with a few new additions. At 730 that evening on arriving in the restaurant there was a very chilled atmosphere from the staff and when the menu arrived it had changed yet again. The food was very good. But the damage had been done.
My friends wanted to leave but as we all came in one car I was not going until after breakfast. Which was as soon as possible. It feels like a new team has taken over the running of the hotel and have made so many cutbacks they have ruined what used to be a Shangri-la from the world.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank freespiritashford
Adam S, General Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and I was sorry that you did not enjoy your visit as much as the first time you stayed with us.

In the freshly refurbished reception area, the heavy old fixed desk was too much of a barrier between ourselves and our guests, and somewhat cumbersome in style. The new walnut desk is bespoke to Ghyll Manor, and we have had so many compliments on it; I fully appreciate though, that everyone's tastes are different.

With regard to your comments on dinner, please rest assured that all dishes are prepared fresh daily; we have a team of chefs in the kitchen, and in the Head Chef's absence (he does deserve the odd day off!), our Sous Chef is extremely capable indeed. As is the case with the vast majority of restaurants, apart from the regularly changing specials, we do not have a new menu each day.

However, I am sure you will be pleased to hear that we are about to launch a completely new style and content of menu for the new season, with up to 12 main courses to choose from, from wonderfully seasonal specials, to classic grill dishes and fresh salads for summer. Were you staying with us for a fortnight, you might just about manage to try them all!

I am sorry also that you did not enjoy the breakfast as you should have, particularly as we have such an excellent reputation for our breakfasts, and rightly so; on this rare occasion my team had decided on a buffet to mitigate any possible delay to our guests on an extremely busy weekend, however this will not be repeated in future. Breakfast is the final and lasting impression our guests have of Ghyll Manor, and therefore must be given our complete attention.

Quite the opposite to making cutbacks at Ghyll Manor, we have done and continue to sympathetically invest in all areas of the hotel; from our staff, to the refurbishments, to menus and guest facilities; please do contact me directly when you are next visiting, and I will be pleased to ensure your faith in us is more than fully restored.

Adam Salter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rusper
South Lodge Hotel
Cisswood House
#2 of 2 in Lower Beeding
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!