“Thank You Ghyll Manor”

Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rusper
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed again at Ghyll Manor for D&BB last Saturday night. After checking in we did a quick Pub crawl by walking to the two local Pubs, both within 400m and upon our return we took a quiet walk around the grounds which was very peaceful. As is normal over Dinner, the restaurant staff were excellent, however, the food did not appear as good as before. However, the next mornings Full English breakfast was very good. The Hotel was very busy and also had a large Wedding and Wedding Anniversary party on Saturday night, however, we had taken a Room upgrade because of this and so it didnt really affect our stay. Many thanks Ghyyl Manor and yes we will be returning shortly.

Room Tip: Because we we advised the Hotel would be busy with the Wedding ect, we paid to have a Room upgrade t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrahamC68
Adam S, General Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

It is always nice to receive such tremendous feedback from our guests, and I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit so much. Thank you once again, and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The grounds were tired and untidy with dead plants in pots and un-swept patio etc. Although a bottle of Pimms on the bar, the barman said he couldn't give me one as he had no fruit! The restaurant floor was dirty with the same rubbish and food on the floor from the evening to the next morning's breakfast. The breakfast was very poor with limited choice although the scrambled egg and salmon was very nice. The hot chocolate was disgusting. Hotel very busy but we will not be returning.

5  Thank Sharon_J569

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your return to Ghyll Manor as I would have expected, particularly after so long, and I can only surmise that your experience was most certainly not typical. Breakfast in particular is very well received by our guests, and the menu itself is extensive, therefore I am unclear as to why there may have been a limited choice during your stay. I do hope that we will have the opportinity to restore your faith at some point in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I stopped here for a couple of nights in June. We have stopped at Ghyll Manor before. As on previous occasions the accommodation was 1st Class as indeed was the food. However, I have to say on this occasion the service was dreadful. Service in the restaurant was slow and there was no service whatsoever at the bar. Before our evening meal we waited for at least 10 minutes in the bar and had to go and find someone to serve us. We then had to wait until the waitress could find the time for us. This was not an isolated incident. It happened every evening and everyone that came into the bar after us had the same experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, and I was disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations in terms of service, particularly in the bar; I have fully discussed your comments with my Food & Beverage Manager, in order to ensure that no such shortfall occurs in the future. Please rest assured that your experience was the exception to the rule at Ghyll Manor.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I had a Saturday night stay at this property and were delighted with the whole experience. The staff are very friendly and the property is lovely particularly the grounds which are beautiful. Overall a very pleasant stay at a great place.

1  Thank HassocksNP

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us, and i was very peased you so thoroughly it; the team we have here are indeed a great asset to us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We went away to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We arrived at the hotel early as we wanted to go for a walk before check and was given a map containing walking routes and local hisrtory provided and created by the hotel. The surrounding area was lovely and we stopped for a drink mid route in alovel local pub ( the star). As we had mentioned our anniversary when we went to the hotel they kindly upgraded us to the four poster room which did not disappoint! We were spoilt with the room and the views! Dinner was included in our package and was also a wonderful experiance with our table lloking out across the grounds and the lake. Food was lovely and we had quite a selection from the menu.
Thank you Ghyll manor for making our wedding anniversary such a pleasant time away, we wont forget it!

1  Thank plumridgefamily

Thank you for your lovely review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your anniversary with us so much, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had an over night stay here for his birthday. The cost for dinner, bed & breakfast was £167 reduced from over £200 as we are CSMA members. So as it's towards the expensive end of three star accommodation I was expecting something pretty special. The hotel and grounds looked beautiful on arrival. However I was disappointed by our room - one of their 'feature bedrooms' - apart from some original beams it was no different to a standard bedroom that you would find in any half decent hotel. No four poster or sitting room as shown on the hotels website. A nice room but not premium accommodation. Dinner was also disappointing - the starter of pear and Stilton salad was ok but the main of marinated pork chop was not - the chop was untrimmed, it came with a large ridge of fat and a big bone in it - not exactly fine dining! And it was terribly overcooked. When the waitress took our plates my comment that it was overcooked were met with an embarrassed smile and nothing more! The pudding of creme brûlée was however delicious.
Credit it where it's due - the bed was huge and comfortable and the pillows lovely and soft. The only problem was the wedding disco which went on til about midnight. On booking I was told there was a wedding on but that we wouldn't hear it as we would be in the main house. That may be true usually but on the night we stayed there was a live band and it was very loud - easily audible from our room. However once I got to sleep I slept very well. One other thing to mention is that the hotel is on a flight path so planes go over every 10 mins or so. That might bother some people.
If I had to sum up Ghyll Manor in a word? Over-priced. I've stayed in better hotels of a similar standard for a lot less money. And it's definitely NOT a fine dining experience.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah G

Thank you for your review, and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit as we would have wished. I understand my deputy has already been in touch with you, and I am pleased that we have the opportunity to restore your faith. Our feature rooms in the main house are invariably very well received, with wonderful views out over the grounds towards the lake.

I was surprised that you did not enjoy the food. The feedback we receive is generally excellent in this repect; and although we do not want to be seen as providing a 'fine dining' menu as such, as this is not what the majority of our guests want to see anymore, we are however passionate about providing wonderfully fresh, very well cooked dishes, with quality ingredients, more in keeping with modern trends. Indeed, much of our garden produce is sourced and grown on our land by our team of chefs themselves, which they are rightfully proud of. I do hope we shall be able to show you this in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at Ghyll Manor last weekend as part of a Secret Escapes offer in the Pinks room. Arriving to afternoon tea sat on the sun filled terrace was lovely, and the grounds are beautiful to walk around. All the staff were wonderful at dinner, and the food lovely.
Newspapers were delivered to our room the next morning and breakfast downstairs was really nice. A very enjoyable break!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicola C, Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Penelope,

Thank you for your lovely review and staying with us. It sounds as if you had a delightful time and experience on our Escape package, and always wish our guests to leave Ghyll having thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Kind Regards,
Nicola Cribb
Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rusper
South Lodge Hotel
#5 of 10 in Worthing
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!