“Not exactly exuding old world charm”

Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rusper
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Others here have highlighted the mix of accommodation between the old main house and newer rooms elsewhere on the site. I suspect there's quite a bit of variation...

I stayed in the "Rafters" room, replete with a variety of low beams, creaking floorboards and some fairly eccentric plumbing with a variety of (noisy) pumps and water tanks in various cupboards. The decor was fairly jaded and the room a bit grubby - and any possibility of creating a nice ambience marred by the "mind your head" signs slapped onto the beams and above the doors.

The bathroom was something of a disgrace - cracked/slipped tiles in abundance, no shower and a sign saying "run the taps for a while if you want hot water". All in all, a room that should be exuding the charms of a country manor house felt more like an institution.

Service in the hotel was fairly good and efficient. Continental breakfast was plentiful and the cooked breakfast menu looked quite nice with more than just the fry up on offer

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank DrWolf

Reviewed 27 September 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in Sept 2008. The main building is 16th century and we stayed in one of the upstairs rooms. There are more modern rooms in adjacent buildings within the quite extensive grounds. There is a lovely lawn area leading down to a small lake, with views over fields. On check in we were dealt with quickly, but there was no attempt to explain the hotel lay out, the services offered, time of dinner etc. When asked about things to do or see in the area the male receptionist was of little help. Our room (Rose)was large, clean, and comfortably furnished. The only drawback was that it was located above the kitchens, so we were woken both mornings when the staff came on duty. Also I reported the TV remote wasn't working, and it remained inoperable throughout our stay. The dining room is impressive, with service both friendly and efficient. But the menu stayed the same both nights, and contained items that some might object to (3 dishes with foie gras, 1 veal, 1 lobster). What we did order was beautifully cooked and presented. The hotel itself is actually in the village of Rusper, which is very pleasant (I recommend the Star pub) as is all the countryside around here. Despite the apparent proximity to Gatwick airport we were not disturbed by aircraft noise. It's about 40 minutes from Brighton, and I also recommend a visit to Arundel with its riverside setting, wildfowl centre, and wonderful castle.
We paid £200 per couple per night for dinner, bed and breakfast, which is the discount rate for CSMA members. Separately a 3 course dinner is £30 and a cooked breakfast £12.50 each. Overall it was a pleasant base from which to explore the lovely surrounding countryside, and reasonably near the coast. But there is nothing to particularly set it apart from its competitors; and no reason why you would want to base yourself here as opposed to anywhere else within a 30 mile radius.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank redcompliance
Reviewed 25 May 2008

Can only comment on food but went to hotel in April to see rooms with view to booking in Summer. Sampled lunch but due to restaurant being closed, ate in bar area. Food disappointing. Management gave free meal in lieu of our experience. Went in May. Restaurant completely empty from 1.15 to 2 o'clock. No atmosphere whatsoever. Chose duck and chicken. Both dishes came just with meat and very small amount of sauce, no accompaniments whatsoever. Duck inedible. Could not cut, chewy. Would not recommend this restaurant unless you wish to pay a vast amount for your food.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank MARIEBerkshire
Reviewed 23 April 2008

I stayed with my now-fiance at Ghyll Manor two years ago as we were shortly to move to Sussex and wanted to explore the area.

I was a student at the time and so money was tight but I spent some of a grant because I wanted to stay somewhere really nice for a change!

What a disappointment! Knowing what I know now about hotels, I would have insisted on staying in one of the old rooms: we were put in the new annexe, to which we had to wheel our bags what seemed like miles and miles. The room was large and clean, but the bathroom was merely adequate and the room lacked personality. I would not spend this much money to stay somewhere so soulless.

More importantly, we received poor service. It was important for me to access the internet but the wireless network did not work in that area, and, although staff were reasonably helpful, using a wire did not work either. The option we were given was to purchase a card to use the wireless connection in the lobby. I am used to free internet, and as this hotel seemed very corporate, and not family-oriented, I am surprised that they did not cater better to the demands typical of business travellers.

The restaurant seemed so ludicrously priced that we didn't even go into it: all in all, the hotel seemed geared hugely towards the corporate market, where people can just charge their company and not mind about value for money, but as a private individual, this is simply unsatisfactory.

Worst was that we were right under the flightpath: I live in the area now so I know where to avoid, but, again, the price of the room didn't reflect that a plane flew low every half hour almost constantly at a noise level which affected sleep and certainly relaxation as well.

I wrote a pretty damning feedback form, but at check-out we finally met a friendly receptionist who seemed to understand how customer service works, and so I didn't give in the form.

I hope that things have improved over the last two years, and this review may then be out of date.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Deaineira
Reviewed 30 September 2006

We attended a wedding here in June. Wedding went generally ok but one of the best men's rooms had been "forgotten" and another guest had to be moved at the last minute. The wedding button holes were also misplaced and after some frantic running around they turned up with minutes to spare. The wrong music was also played during the civil ceremony. Other than that food etc. was fine.

Problems arose on check out. The bride's father had pre paid for the wedding party rooms but each was presented with a bill on check out and had to pay. Refinds and apologiy letters were sent but this took some 6 weeks of chasing to arrange. Only by chance did I discover that the credit I had received had been followed up by another charge a week later!!!! Some credit.

A further week of promised but not made phone calls before the credit was finally posted. We shall see if this goes through properly or not, so fingers crossed.

And as my back is now up I also do not like the way the manager "blames" his staff - he is the manager and the buck must stop there. As a fee paying customer (and we were charged full rack rate as well!) I don't care who is to blame I just want a responsible adult to resolve it to my satisfaction.

They also use an 0845 number as their booking line - be warned from mobiles as some mobile operators will charge 35p a minute to call these numbers so use a landline.

Overall a nice day that has left a sour taste in the mouth and a visit not to be repeated.

• Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank DavidandLaura
GhyllManor, General Manager at Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2006

It is obviously very disappointing to receive a review such as this, and I am sorry that this individual has had a poor experience at the hotel.

An administrative error was made by us with the billing arrangements for the party, and the subsequent solving of this problem did take longer than expected. However, all of this has been rectified, with the relevant refunds and apologies made to those concerned.

With regard to the wedding itself, having received written testimonials from the Bride and Groom together with the Brides father, I am very happy with the way in which their day was organised and run.

It is very unfortunate that this particular guest has not enjoyed their time with us, and even more so that my apologies - both written and verbal have been construed as an attack on my staff. We operate as a team at Ghyll Manor for which I take full responsibility at all times. It is a great shame that this has been portrayed in a very different way within the review.

Kevin Francis
12th October 2006

A TripAdvisor Member
ashford
Reviewed 17 July 2006

we stayed at Ghyll Manor for one night on the 15th july 2006 and this was because we were with the wedding party.The wedding service was very good,the food and wine at the reception were equaly as good as also was the buffet at the night,and if that had been the end of the matter a good time would have been had by all.I now come to the allocation of the rooms,eight of which are reserved for wedding guests.These rooms com in all shapes and sizes from quite large and spacious down to the proverbial box room which unfortunately is the one which was allocated to me!!! This would not have been a problem as such,i've slept in worse and it was only the one night,but I then find out that I am being charged exactly the same as if I had stayed in the better rooms,so in effect I am sibsidising them by paying the same price for a room that it would have been difficult to swing the proverbial cat in had no air conditioning,no mini bar,and no room safe.Needless to say it will definately be a case of once bitten twice shy

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2006

We had stayed at Ghyll Manor 20 years ago and wanted to relive a wonderful experience. We had requested that we be booked into one of the rooms in the original manor but would advise others to be aware of the Mahogany Room. We were woken on three of the four nights - by noise coming up from the library and bar.

The food is outstanding although the service is mixed but the staff are friendly, informed and eager to please.

Ask for the 5 mile walk directions so that you can enjoy a ramble through the lanes, across the fields, into the woods and back to the hotel. And if you miss lunch, room service is superb. Also have a wonderful cream tea.

We will return!

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank momand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rusper
South Lodge Hotel
#5 of 10 in Worthing
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!