“Lovely relaxing weekend made better by fantastic stay in wonderful hotel”

The Regency Hotel Solihull
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
South Yorkshire
“Lovely relaxing weekend made better by fantastic stay in wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Highly recommended hotel. Had a fantastic weekend stay and the price was amazing. How can they offer these fantastic deals. Treat like royalty for peasant prices. Upon arrival we were checked in with ease and everything was as it should be. Car parking was free and there is loads of space so no need to worry. Room was clean and smelt fresh and has been recenly refurbished to a high standard. Food was of the highest quality and the prices very reasonable. Enjoyed sitting out in the sun having lunch and a pint. Very nice. Leisure facilities good and I would definately stay there again. Cannot recommend highly enough. If were ever staying in the area again would use without hesitation. I suggest you do the same!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CorusSolihull, General Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, it's always nice to get good feedback from our guests. We hope that you'll use us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed in this hotel as it is conveniently situated for the NEC.On arrival, we had to push through a wedding party of smokers right outside the hotel entrance which wasn't very inviting. At reception, the staff appeared nonchalant and asked for payment for my room, even though I had already pre paid online. They then spent 5 minutes checking if this was the case and eventually gave me a key without actually getting to the bottom of the issue.
The room was clean and ok....if you didn't scratch the surface, The curtain was hanging off the rail and the net collapsed as soon as we lifted it to look out. The window frames were black and in need of attention.
We didn't eat at the hotel, but on our return, I asked the receptionist if she could tell me if we were inclusive of breakfast or not because I couldn't remember. She didn't get up, but shouted over that she didnt think we would be. I still don't know wether we were entitled to breakfast or not.
We had a very poor nights sleep. As soon as we switched the telly off, we realised we were above a thufare door that had no stopper on it and every 2 minutes it banged shut as people came through it. It drove me nuts! Also, the wedding party I mentioned were sat outside adjacent to our room until 1.30am. As you can imagine, they'd had quite a bit to drink so were't really aware of their volume or language.
We left the next morning (without breakfast) after a disappointing stay. The previous evening we had stayed in a Travelodge in Tamworth that knocked spots off this place for a 3rd of the price. I wish I'd saved my cash and spent a second night there instead.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Shirley hotels

London
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I've been staying a lot in Premier Inns recently and they've been 'OK' although I'm still waiting to find one that can offer me a room at £29 a night. I've had to pay two and a half times that! It was only because I couldn't get into the Solihull South one that I thought I'd try the Corus just up the Stratford Road. I imagined the cost would be significantly more than the PI but was amazed to find myself paying roughly the same with a superb breakfast thrown in as well.

The rooms are very nice - good size with proper cupboards and wardrobe - and you even get free wifi. There's Sky Sports down in the pub, and - for those a bit more health conscious than me - a leisure centre including pools and so on. I might even try it myself next time I'm there. I'll certainly go back when I'm in Solihull on business again.

The breakfast is top quality with - for me - the proof being the fact that I could get proper fresh fruit as well as rye/sourdough bread with my full English.

Only downside - supper. I was a bit disappointed with the menu and the speed of service so would probably either go for room service (provided they'd answer the damn phone); go out; or bring something in.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback - your comments regarding the evening meal have been taken on board and we hope that you will come again in the future.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just a weekend trip with an overnight stay at this hotel, never heard the name before but it was much like many hotels out in the countryside which look like large country houses converted to a hotel. With a full coach load the manager came on board the coach and handed out our room keys, so no checking in. We followed the signs and after navigating many corridors we finally found our room.

I must admit, that coming on these trips its a pleasure to see tea/coffee making facilities in the room and this one had plentiful coffee/milk/tea and its the first thing we do, put the kettle on. A comfortable room with very comfortable beds, the décor is very easy on the eyes and the colour scheme is very relaxing. A flat screen TV on the wall and very tasteful furniture made for a cosy welcome.

We turned the heating up a little as the weather wasn't kind but took a curious glance out of the window. The patio doors lead on to a garden area, complete with seats, which I'm sure, on a balmy summers evening would make a fantastic place to sit out and relax. The bathroom was like the rest of the room, very clean and very nice, although the sink did have a crack, which I reported to reception. We settled down then we refreshed and went down for dinner.

The Courtyard Restaurant was superb, well laid out with adequate space between the tables and easily catered for our bus load. We had filled out a form, given to us as the same time as the keys, which were in fact swipe cards, asking for our meal preferences from a list, and so then the waiters/waitresses came round they simply asked your choice of starters/ main meal and afters. Tea or coffee were also offered and another complement, the staff were excellent, we were not waiting for long for our food and each member of staff was delightful.

The food itself was as good as the rest of the place, well done all. We didn't use the bar, I was feeling weary so my wife and I retired to our room and watched a bit of TV, then I settled down to sleep. In the morning the weather hadn't improved but incredibly the food in the hotel had. If the evening meal had been good then the breakfast was superb, and that goes for the staff as well. Pleasant and charming from the girl who asked us our room number then directed us to our seat, to the waitress bringing our pot of tea, excellent.

As for the food, well, in both presentation and taste there was nothing to complain about, a full range of food for a full English breakfast, all hot and in individual containers. Even an old favourite of mine, black pudding, which you don't see much of these days, but also all the old favourites, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, fried tomato, mushroom, this is as well as toast, cereals the full monty if you like and fruit juice as well.

As you can gather we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and if I do seem to be going a little over the top in this report then I make no apologies. Thank you to the staff, seen and unseen (not forgetting the chefs here) for an enjoyable stay. If I may be so churlish to point out a downside to this hotel its the location, it seems to be surrounded by office/industrial type buildings but as it was getting dark when we arrived I'm not sure what it was. So it seems the hotel has a captive audience for an evenings entertainment so to speak.

Room Tip: If you stay at the hotel then make arrangements for a more varied night out if you so wish, ie taxi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments on here. I'm really happy to hear that we made such a good first impression on you.
Oxford UK
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed here for two nights. Hotel is looking worn in places. Needs a fresh coat of paint in many areas. Otherwise, rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good and items were fresh. Would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stayed here as a last resort in 2011 when on a project locally.
Hotel was old and tired, communal areas were a bit shabby and the rooms I stayed in were poor with a mish-mash of furniture and facilities e.g. one had no table, another had a little 14" tv with an aerial on top.
Gym/pool was ok, not too busy, but again was a bit tired.
Good location with McDs and large Tesco down the road but thats about the best I can say about it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
CorusSolihull, Operations Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your comments. You'll be glad to know that since July 2011 we have refurbished our reception area, coffee lounge and the majority of our bedrooms, all of which have been fitted with brand new flat screen tv's. We are now embarking upon the next stage of refurbishment which include our executive rooms.
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Attended for Sunday lunch. Food was served after being under a heat lamp and was rushed by the v rude staff that brought processed food out on a "conveyor belt."
The maitre de was apologetic but given the choice I'd rather stay in than go here again.

• Stayed March 2012
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy Sunday lunch, your comments regarding staff have been noted. Generally we get more positive comments about Sunday Lunch rather that negative. Once again thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
Ramada Birmingham Solihull
The St. John's Hotel
The St. John's Hotel
#14 of 25 in Solihull
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,033 reviews

Been to The Regency Hotel Solihull? Share your experiences!