“Good party venue” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Good party venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed here as part of a group attending a party and having seen some negative reviews I was determined to make the most of it. Some of the rooms are updated which I found out when I rejected the first room I was allocated. The updated rooms are good for a 3 star hotel but some attention needs to be paid to the standard of cleaning in the bathrooms and to repairs. The staff are helpful and try their best. Breakfast was good. I expect to come back again to attend another party next year so I hope this hotel will continue to improve. The food at the party was very plentiful and very good for the price so well done on that!

Room Tip: Try and get a room that is on a floor that has been upgraded and view your room before checking in.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank theflyingpa43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We came here on a Living Social voucher which was very reasonable.
Yes the hotel is a bit shabby in places, but we enjoyed our stay.
Unlike other reviewers we really enjoyed our dinner. I think the chips were some of the nicest I've had.
Breakfast was excellent - lots of fresh fruit and a good buffet selection.
All the staff were friendly and helpful.
Would come here again to chill out.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R0binsRule
Redditch, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My now wife & I held our wedding ceremony & reception here earlier this month and had very little to complain about. There were plenty of helpful staff around especially the duty manager Peter who was our master of ceremonies and dealt with many little things that helped make our wonderful day.
This isn't the Ritz but then again we didn't pay Ritz prices. Their wedding package including wedding breakfast, evening buffet, chair covers and DJ was excellent value when you consider the ridiculous prices some hotels want to charge per person for wedding breakfast and room hire.
We had many guests travelling from Norfolk & Oxfordshire and the location of the hotel, close to J4 of the M42 and ampe car parking made it a good choice for easy access.
Our ceremony took place in the restaurant which with the seating laid in theatre style facing the large windows overlooking the internal courtyard looked good. Photographs were take on the lawned area to the front of the hotel and within the courtyard after the ceremony and the 'Four Ashes' room was the venue for our wedding breakfast of 60+ people with the tables left out for the evening guests to sit and enjoy the buffet.
Both the wedding breakfast (pate, pork then cheesecake) and the evening buffet was polished off by most of our guests and enjoyed by the happy couple. Buffet breakfast in the morning for those who stayed over & paid the extra was plentiful and delicious - I wish I'd had more helpings!
The Corus may be a little shabby around the edges but work appears to be continuing to improve in all areas. In the time we've been organising our wedding, the coffee lounge area has been redecorated and new, modern furniture installed.
Considering some of the other local wedding venues we looked round and the silly prices hotels charge for weddings, we thoroughly enjoyed our wedding day at the Corus and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it and the services of the wedding co-ordinator Yvonne.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Moreton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed at the Corus Hotel in mid-May whilst on business and had a poor all round experience. On entering my room and opening the window the whole frame fell out and was hanging on by a thread in one of the bottom corners meaning I couldnt leave it open in what was a typically boiling hot room. The main plug socket in the room nearly came off in my hand as I attempted to plug my phone charger in and the shower head wouldnt grip the rail so kept sliding down deeming it useless.

My group was planning to eat in the hotel but we were quickly put off after a quick pint in 'Morriseys' bar. The beer was as flat as a pancake and tasted so bad - they did agree to swap it for a bottle though.

The one reedeming point was a good quality breakfast but for £90 a night in an outer city location I thought this place was very poor and I wouldn't return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank rigby44

Travellers are raving about these Shirley hotels

warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Had a lovely meal the chorus hotel solihull, what can i say staff freindly and helpful, food was lovely great service, lovely team.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CorusSolihull, Operations Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for your comments, we hope to see you again soon.
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

This is a "get what you pay for" hotel. Booked a twin room for myself and my daughter and a family room for my friend and her children. £55 for room and breakfast and £75 for a family. When checking in we found that my friend and I were at either ends of the hotel so I asked the receptionist if we could be moved nearer. She moved me next door to my friend in a family room but only charged the double room rate. The young staff at all times were delightful in every part of the hotel. The rooms were large and spacious, clean and well decorated. We ate in the restaurant bar which was pub food style and it was reasonable priced and very tasty. Nice lounge in the hotel and the children made use of the pool by swimming twice. Overall a great stay and would definately come here again.

Room Tip: Huge family rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank debjen
I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff were so helpful.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Im currently staying in the corus hotel, Solihull (room 122) booked through laterooms for £70 (should have been £180) with work. All I can say is its not even worth £10 per night. The bathroom looks as if it has never been cleaned with tissue down the toilet and mould in the soap dish. The bath would struggle to fit a midget in in let alone a normal sized person. All the tiles and grouting are filthy with sealant coming away from the whites. The towels are at least clean.

The main room itself fairs a little better, however the carpet and walls are stained and filthy with decor straight from 1980. The bed is at least comfy and the room has a decent sized tv.

I didn't use the pool facilities as if they can't keep a small bathroom clean they've got no hope with a pool and all that it entails.

The receptionist had a stinking attitude and just couldn't be assed with anything.

The only upside is the local (approx 1mile away) restaurant called 'the farm' which serves amazing food.

If you need to stay in Solihull avoid the Corus at all costs, I certainly will from now on. Premierinn may not seem the best but i'd stay in one anytime over this hotel, at least you know they will be clean and hygienic.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Bentholyptus
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Our single rooms are smaller than our standard doubles or twins and we do charge accordingly. However, it is unacceptable that your room wasn't clean. Normally if reception are made aware of this we would instantly change your room and make amends. Sorry that we let you down on this occassion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
Ramada Birmingham Solihull
Crowne Plaza Solihull
#9 of 25 in Solihull
Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to The Regency Hotel Solihull? Share your experiences!