“Hotel and facilities are brilliant, Staff and management are clueless.”

The Regency Hotel Solihull
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
“Hotel and facilities are brilliant, Staff and management are clueless.”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

To start with i was very impressed with this hotel, easy to find, good parking, good facilities and we had a spacious family room, unfortunately the staff are unhelpful, unfriendly and clueless as is the management. We had bought a package deal for our stay which included free meals for the children and a trip to cadbury world, however none of the staff seemed to understand this and we had to keep explaining the deal to various members of staff, despite handing them the printed deal on arrival. The evening meal was very nice but the service was atrocious and we were repeatedly charged wrong and ended up with 4 different receipts as the deputy manager could not work out how much we owed and kept changing the prices of the drinks, then when we went to check out, the receptionist tried to charge us for the room even tho we had already paid and she was holding the receipt as proof at the time. Its a shame because its a lovely hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Amy C, Sales Manager - Midlands Cluster at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following on from your recent stay.
The Hotel is very easily accessible just 1 mile from the M42 and with lots of complimentary car parking it is ideal with on-site facilities including free use of the leisure facilities.
I am very sorry and disappointed to hear of your comments in regards to the staff and service you received. We have launched the Cadbury World package and I will ensure that there is further training for the staff to ensure that the errors are not made in the future.
I am pleased to hear that the meal in the evening was enjoyable but again sorry to hear that the service was not to our usual standard.
We would like to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future so please do contact myself at acurtis@corushotels.com should you wish to discuss your experience further and arrange another visit in the future.
Once again my apologies for your experience and please be assured that your comments will be passed on to the Hotel Manager.
Sales Manager – Midland Cluster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Wasn't and clean as we would have liked, some furniture was broken and patched up. Breakfast was good but expensive, especially if like us you are in a hurry so can't take full advantage of it. Garden's are nice with plenty of seating and bar area was comfortable. We dined there in the early evening and there was a good but small menu of bar food. We enjoyed our food there, prices were reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne F
Dear Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Regency Hotel.
Thank you for your review of 4 out of 5. I am sorry to hear that the room was not as clean as you would have expected and that some furniture in the room was broken.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast, we do have an excellent team of Chefs. We do try and ensure all our prices are competitive within the market place.
We have just refurbished the public areas of the Hotel and it is great to hear your positive comments. The Hotel does have a beautiful internal courtyard area which is perfect for al fresco dining in the summer months.
I do hope that we welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at your hotel earlier this month.
It is so convenient for the N.E.C. Have stayed here before but i must tell you that the improvements are great.

The rooms are what they are but i find them more than adequate. You could get better for more money i suppose.

The staff have improved so much. There must be training going on.
They want to help you now and it does not feel like they are doing you a favor.

The bar was where i found the staff very friendly and helpful. I think the selection has got wider as well.Well i always get what i want so no problem here.

The new menu is great and when the foor arrives it does not disapoint I don't use room service as a rule.
I always enjoy breakfast it is always good(the coffee could have been a bit hotter) and again the staff are trying hard to give you a good start to your day.
Keep up the good work STAFF it makes the place.
The new management is certainly giving the place a new feel.
Just a comment but i feel that reception could have more staff on duty during cheak in and out times.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank garreth s
Amy C, Sales Manager - Midlands Cluster at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.
The Regency Hotel is in a fantastic location for events at the NEC, just minutes from the Motorway and only 8 miles from the NEC.
I am pleased to hear that you were pleased with the recent changes at the Hotel including the refurbishment and staff. It is great to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful, I shall pass your comments over to the team.
Thank you for your positive comments in regards to the food, we are changing the menu on a regular basis to offer guests a variety of options. I am sorry to hear the coffee was not hot enough and will pass this over to our Operations Manager.
I will also speak with our Reception Manager in regards to ensuring that we are adequately staffed during busy periods.
It is great to hear such positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
England
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I used to stay regularly at the Regency on business but noticed a drop in service towards the end of last year and the hotel began to look tired so I started to stay elsewhere around the Solihull area this year. I thought I would give the hotel another go after the refurb as I’d noticed an increase in positive reviews and I’m very glad I did.

The hotel has massively improved, the staff, the amenities and the service are now much better. You can clearly see it is under new Management and the recent investment has increased the hotel's overall appeal, it now has a great contemporary fresh feel.

I had room service which was delivered promptly and tasted delicious but didn’t manage to test out breakfast the following day due to running late.
I also didn’t get chance to test out the leisure facilities but its nice to stay in a city hotel that offers this.

In summary my recent stay at The Regency has won me back and I now wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: The Exec rooms are lovely
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Amy C, Sales Manager - Midlands Cluster at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Welcome back to the Regency Hotel! I am delighted to hear that you decided to come back to The Regency Hotel.
It is fantastic to hear such positive comments from a previous guest, we have been working hard over the last few months completing a huge refurbishment which has given the Hotel a completely different look and feel. It is great to hear that you were able to see and feel a difference yourself.
I am also pleased to hear your positive comments in regards to the food and service at the Hotel, we have a fantastic team of staff who are dedicated to providing efficient and friendly service along with a high quality of food.
I do hope that you are able to take advantage of the on-site leisure facilities on your next visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future and once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed for an over night visit as we were at an event nearby. Everywhere looked clean and tidy in the corridors and the room was a decent size. It looks like there has been some recent refurbishment but on closer inspection it appears to have been done in a bit of a rush. The bedroom furniture although new, didn't quite fit right. There was only one bedside table and this was a little too big for the gap it was in, therefore the wall attached headboard was not in line with the bed. The one major letdown was the state of the window. The glass was dirty around the frame and let the room down badly. The staff we met however were very friendly and welcoming. We choose not to stay for breakfast as don't like the fact that you have to pay extra for what I consider should be included in the price. The other matter that let The Regency down was the fact that at either side of the main entrance were two smoking bins so obviously this is where guests stand and smoke. Not a particularly nice sight when you arrive. However for a overnight stay The Regency was just what we needed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Regency Hotel.
The Hotel has just completed a refurbishment of most of the public areas of the Hotel and all the function spaces.
I am sorry to hear that you felt the bedroom furniture was not suitable for the room, I shall pass your comments over to the Hotel management. I am also sorry to hear that the window in your bedroom was dirty, I shall speak with the Housekeeping manager and ensure that the bedroom windows are cleaned on a regular basis.
It is great to hear that you found the staff friendly and welcoming, we have a fantastic team of staff who are dedicated to provide a high level of service for all our guests.
I do hope that we welcome you back to The Regency Hotel in the near future as it is a great location for guests staying for an event in the Solihull/Birmingham area.
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel on company business over 3 weeks in February and March. The hotel is very clean, even though renovations were taking place. The rooms are comfortable and well maintained, one or two pieces of room furniture could do with updating but it's a minor criticism.

The food is very good and reasonably priced. The presentation is excellent, particularly the desserts. The staff are very friendly and only to happy to assist with any query you may have. They're well presented, smart and professional and are a credit to the management team and recruitment. The breakfast supervisor, Carol runs a great team and the breakfast spread is lovely.

It's a shame that the adjoining bar, Morrissey's, was closed but the coffee lounge was nice and relaxing in the evenings, could do with Sky Sports though.

Thanks to everyone, myself and my colleagues were well looked after during our stay, would happily recommend The Regency to anyone.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask to be situated away from the main road as the traffic on the A34...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Amy C, Sales Manager - Midlands Cluster at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review on Trip Advisor.
It is great to hear such positive comments in regards to all aspects of the Hotel, the Regency Hotel is ideally located for business travellers being so close to the M42. We have now completed the refurbishment and I am pleased to hear that the Hotel was well maintained and clean during the work that was taking place.
I am pleased to hear your comments in regards to the food and shall pass your comments over to our Chef Brigade.
Thank you for your lovely comments in regards to the staff at the Hotel, I am delighted to hear such positive comments. We do have a fantastic team that provide an excellent level of service to our guests.
We have recently closed Morrissey’s bar but we have created the Regency Bar and our Coffee Lounge, creating relaxing and welcoming areas for our guests.
I shall pass overall your comments to my colleagues and we look forward to welcoming yourself and colleagues back to the Hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Was checked into an Executive room. Great decor. All amenties in room as one would find in a 4 star hotel. The hotel public areas look particularly contemporary in light of recent refurbishment. Overall a memorable and pleasant stsy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.
It is great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Our Executive Rooms do provide all the amenities for our guests including Tea/Coffee facilities, Flat Screen TV’s and Complimentary Wi-Fi, as well as a larger bedroom and King Size bed.
It is fantastic to hear that you have compared the Hotel to a 4 star Hotel.
We are very pleased with the recent refurbishment of the Hotel and have created some beautiful and contemporary spaces for our guests to eat, meet, relax and enjoy.
I do hope that you will choose to stay at The Regency Hotel again in the future.
Sales Manager – Midlands Cluster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
Ramada Birmingham Solihull
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Hogarths Hotel
Hogarths Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorridge

Been to The Regency Hotel Solihull? Share your experiences!