“Gardeners world visit”

The Regency Hotel Solihull
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed at the Regency as part of a National Holiday trip to Gardeners world and the Good Food Show. Whilst some aspects of the hotel were a little dated (bathroom) this didn't detract from the stay which was very enjoyable. The staff were very attentive, Reception, Manager, Restaurant, Bar staff. We were made to feel very welcome and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mcdonaldkath
Bradley S, Operations Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your wonderful review, I’m sorry to hear that some aspects of your bathroom were a little dated. I have asked our head Housekeeper to address this where possible to ensure all of our bathrooms are modern.
I have passed all your comments over to all the team concerned
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Regency Hotel in the future
Regards

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here on Saturday as part of National Holidays trip to Good Food Show. First, let me say that this is one of the better hotels that National use. I believe the hote has recently been taken over by the Corus group. All the downstairs areas haven been refurbed and are very nice. We had a double room on the second floor and as soon as we got out of the lift the heat hit us like a furnace. The room wasn't any cooler! The window was already open but it is tiny and there is absolutely no air whatsoever. We asked for a non-smoking room which this was, however in the past it must have been a smoking room. The bathroom smelled heavily of smoke. Only one towel which as bizarrely hidden in the wardrobe. On close inspection the rooms are quite tired and dated. There was no mattress protector on the bed and we seemed to roll together when we lay down! Included in our price was a three course meal. The food and service was exceptional. Delicious chicken and a fab bottle of wine. We went to bed to watch the England match. There was a school reunion taking place and the music didn't finish until 1 am. On this occasion we didn't mind as we were watching the tv however Morrisey's bar didn't turn the music off until 3 am. This was totally unacceptable. The football finished at 1am! The room was stiflingly hot. I rang reception and asked for a an but they were all being used. Not surprising, if the others were as hot as us. Breakfast next morning was really, really lovely. Well cooked, hot and plenty of choice. All in all, a good stay but too hot and too noisy!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, I have passed your kind comments over to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, I’m sorry to hear that the Private parties booked affected your experience, We as a hotel strive to ensure all of our guests have an enjoyable experience, I’m sorry once again that other parties have affected your stay.
With regard to the heat upstairs, our Property Maintenance team have purchased more fans for the bedrooms during the summer months.
I’m glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Regency Hotel in the near future
Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 June 2014

A relative had kindly booked a voucher for us to to to eat the Regency Restaurant for our 30th wedding anniversary.

I confirmed our reservation for 7:00 p.m. earlier that day. On arrival they told us they could not accommodate us as they had a party of 48 arriving for dinner until 7:30 p.m.

Only after asking what do they suggest we do for half an hour and on my suggestion were we offered a complimentary drink and that they would call us for dinner at 7:30 p.m. At 7:45 we were asked if we would like another drink and we explained the situation.

We were finally taken into the dining area around 7:50 and given a round table coffee table literally in a corner of the restaurant not big enough for a dining. We felt like we were treated like cheap guests.

The saving grace was the salmon starter however my "slate plate" was wobberley. The lamb dish my husband ordered was fine but the duck was very sweet. the waitress was attentive but walked away before we could reply if everything was ok!

I asked for the bill and we were the ONLY people left in the restaurant. We went into the courtyard after waiting for over 10 minutes for the bill. Sat there for at least another 10 minutes (even the waitress had come out) and gave up (for the 1 glass of extra wine).

Very disappointed with the service. We are local residents and would love to give business locally. I don't know how much was paid for the voucher but we certainly feel that whatever was paid was not what was expected, but don't wish to let our sponsor know.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hersha R

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I apologise that your dinner was not to the expected standard.
I understand that our Restaurant Manager has been in contact with you regarding this. You have my personal assurance that your next experience with us will be a more enjoyable one.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your experience

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My brother David and his fiancee Debbie went to several venues before deciding on The Regency for there wedding, simply because of the warm and friendly welcome they received on arrival there professionalism and attention to detail.My party arrived the day before and found the staff very friendly and accommodating, rooms were clean and comfortable and well equipped. On there big day nothing was to much trouble ,staff were smart and reliable and everything ran smoothly.Food was of a good quality and hot which makes a pleasant change.staff were unobtrusive and there when required, professionally directed by Bradley and Craig and also Kiya. I would recommend this venue highly, not just for functions but also overnight stays . Believe me i have stayed in much more expensive hotels and been very disappointed.So thank you to all the staff for making their day extra special..Best man Paul.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Paul
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the hotel and the team. I’m very happy to hear that your brother and Sister in law had such a fantastic day and overall experience.
Your comments have been distributed to all the team members involved throughout your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Check In: ***** Stars
Stayed here last week as had a client meeting next door. On arrival a really polite girl processed our check in quickly and efficiently, advising us that we had booked a Breakfast Inclusive Room (see later comment)

Room: ****Stars
Massive, Clean and Tidy. A bit hot and no way to open windows fully

Health Club: ***** Stars
The Club although looking a bit Oligarch with statuettes everywhere was excellent. Pool area clean and tidy, good customer service from the guy who gave us nice fluffy towels as we walked in.

Breakfast ***** Stars
Service at breakfast was great and attentive. Food was great and of a higher quality than most other places I've stayed. Cooked to perfection. Full English, all the trimmings :-)

Sleeping **** Stars
A sound sleep only spoiled by the starting of the fans in the kitchen below my room. Easily remedied by closing the window, although room became very stuffy.

Check Out: * Annoyingly Unfocused
Upon Check in I was told I had breakfast included....this turned out not to be the case. The gril who was checking this showed me the check in form as if to say 'liar'. She then also on my insistence advised me that the girl on Check In was new and that she is 'undergoing training'. The upshot was that I parted with £25 of my own money, will no longer recommend the hotel and certainly won't stay there again. If I had of been trying it on, I wouldn't vent it here as don't have the time, but it is these inconsistencies that drive a regular Business Traveller mad.

To the Manager. A Golden Opportunity tarnished by a 'it's not our fault' approach.

Room Tip: Rooms to rear of Hotel quieter and away from main road at front
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BruceO1970
Bradley S, Operations Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review The Regency Hotel, It is wonderful to hear that you had an enjoyable experience in the Hotel Health Club, I am equally pleased that your room was of a good size and you had a good nights sleep.

I have passed your kind comments about breakfast to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager. We are continually using guest feedback to improve our Food offering and I am pleased that your experience was a good one.

With regard to your unfortunate experience whilst checking out, We have recently Employed a new Rooms Division Manager and Head receptionist who have both worked hard tirelessly to improve the guest experience during the checking in and out process. I'm happy to report that we have made and continue to make improvements in this area.

Thank you again for your feedback, Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the matter further as I would love to welcome you back to The Regency Hotel in the future. My email address is operations.solihull@corushotels.com

Kind Regards
Bradley Shough
Hotel Operations Manager

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Where do I start.From the moment myself and my new wife walked into the hotel to view the venue we were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome by all the staff which was the deciding factor for us booking the hotel for our wedding. From the start of the beginning of the planning of our big day to the conclusion last night the staff have been very attentive and accommodating and nothing has been to much for them even down to a few tweaks 24hrs before. Everything was done for us and our guests on the day and the wedding went without any hitches.The food was of a high standard served piping hot to every guest, by the attentive staff.The rooms stayed in by some of our guests were of a high quality and extremely clean. After a long day it was great to come down to a breakfast of the same quality as the food served on our wedding day.Our guests were full of praise for the venue, food,and friendliness of the staff.Thanks to Bradley, Craig,kiya, and all of the waiters,waitresses, kitchen staff etc.for making this a great day for everyone. David and debbie.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear David
Thank you so much for your kind words following your wonderful wedding, it gives me great pleasure to respond to these kind words.
All of us here at The Regency take great pride in ensuring all weddings we host are a success and following your comments it is evident to see that.
I have passed your kind comments to all the team and we look forward to welcoming you and Debbie back to The Regency Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My partner and I held our wedding day at The Regency, or The Corus as it was then known, in September 2013. The staff were amazing, the food was lovely and the whole day went without one hitch! All our guests commented on the staffs' helpful and friendly manner and those that stayed were impressed with their rooms and breakfast the following morning, no complaints were made at all. We couldn't have picked a better venue to celebrate our wedding day and cannot thank the staff there enough for all they did for us, namely Jorgen, Sam and the food and beverages manager who's name escapes me! We are hoping to return to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front can suffer with some noise from the road so light sleepers may benefit from a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn E

Dear Guest
Thank you for your wonderful comments! It is wonderful to hear that you had such a wonderful wedding day, following your wedding the hotel has undergone a substantial refurbishment programme which has included all bedroom corridors, Restaurant and public areas. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Regency Hotel in the near future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
Village Hotel Solihull
The Oak Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hockley Heath
Best Western Plus Manor Hotel
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to The Regency Hotel Solihull? Share your experiences!