“Decent three star hotel”

The Regency Hotel Solihull
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Decent three star hotel”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding. Given a ground floor room with a little patio which was perfect since was somewhere for us to escape to while our baby settled to sleep. Room was clean and towels big. Free entry to leisure centre meant we could swim next morning. Breakfast buffet nice but did have to ask for quite a few things rather than anything happening on initiative. All staff friendly but maybe not always coordinated as to what was going on. Would def consider staying again if in area.

Stayed August 2014
Phil B, General Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Trip Advisor and providing us with your feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay while attending a wedding. The Regency Hotel Solihull is an ideal wedding venue and it is important that guests attending a wedding enjoy all aspects the hotel including our bedrooms, leisure club, restaurant and coffee lounge.

I have passed on your comments regarding breakfast to our Restaurant Manager. We have worked hard over the past couple of weeks to improve the offering and standard of service during breakfast. I am sure you will notice the improvement if you visit us again!

Once again, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with Trip Advisor and I hope to welcome you to The Regency Hotel Solihull once again in the future.

Kindest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Gunnislake, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Apart from one or two of the staff there isn't a lot positive I could write about this hotel

We had a so-called 'executive' room and paid extra for the privilege....

the privilege of bedside lights that didn't work......

...the privilege of bathroom extractor fan not working either.

One lift in the part we stayed in - and that seemed to be forever to be free

Overpriced food and not a wide choice - even the snacks were limited and expensive for what they were. 2 sandwiches and 2 soft drinks £20....

Driven past this place loads of times while I lived in the Midlands wondering what it was like. Now I know and I won't be back

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I am very sorry and disappointed to learn of your poor experience.

Although I am pleased to hear that our team members were the highlight of your stay, I am concerned that the standard of the bedroom and evening meal did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide a consistently high standard of service and good value for money throughout the whole hotel including our conference and event facilities, gym, leisure club and our restaurant and bars. However, on this occasion I am sorry that we failed to deliver this during your stay.

I have shared your comments with our Head Housekeeper and Operations manager to ensure we rectify the issues you have kindly highlighted.

Although your recent stay left much to be desired, I do hope you are able to visit us again in the future which would provide us the opportunity to restore your faith in us once again. should this be of an interest to you then please do contact me personally.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you to The Regency hotel again in the future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Used the Regency again because of it's close proximity to the conference venue. It is also a good place to stay for other reasons.
The room i got was clean neat and tidy..No problems but it was a little hot ,with the weather we are having i am not suprised.I might add that at some stage the hotel is going to have to spend a bit of money on the rooms. new girl at reception from last time.german i think, Sarah,she was great.

made use of the bar and as usual the service was slick and professional,was nice that all i asked for was avaliable.AND COLD.
Did nit make use of the restaurant exept for breakfast.It was great,all the produce was fresh and well prepared and my pet hate cold coffee, well my coffee was so hot i had to give it a few mins to cool off ,but that is how it should be.
The G.M. and his team must be doiong something right because i believe it is just gettin better and better.

It is never going to be a 5 star classic,but home from home it is and i think it is great

Room Tip: Room away from hotel conference venues if possible
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Bradley S, Operations Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review on Tripadvisor, I’m glad that you had an enjoyable stay. As you suggested, we have having extremely warm weather currently however I do apologise that your room was hotter than would have been ideal. Thank you for your feedback regarding our team, I will pass these comments over to the relevant team members, I am especially happy to hear that you were served hot coffee in the lounge following your last visit, we have improved our coffee offering over the last few months and I am happy to hear that you are enjoying it.
The Regency is not only conveniently situated for conferences and motorway links but also close to Solihull and Birmingham city centres and numerous transport links.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Regency Hotel in the near future.
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Back from another conference and another stay at The Regency. It remains so convenient for the venue.
But more than that I really like the consistency that the place deliver now that it has decent management. The staff are not consistent because I think they are improving all the time..
You could get a better room for a lot more money, but who needs it. The rooms are more than adequate ,always clean neat and tidy, and if you do need something I got clean towels in a flash when I asked.(towels I used, not dirty)
Now onto my favourite occurrence in the hotel, Breakfast, once again it was first class, They say you should breakfast like a king, well you do at The Regency. It is great.
Well done to all keep it up.

Room Tip: Close to conference venue
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with Trip Advisor Following your visit.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your conference and stay with us. We have invested heavily on improving the meeting and event facilities and the service we provide to our guests. We have also reviewed the service we provide to our guests and leisure club members throughout all areas of the hotel including the bar, restaurant, coffee lounge and the 111 guest bedrooms to ensure a high and consistent standard.

The Regency hotel Solihull, situated just off junction 4 of the M42 and close to the NEC, Birmingham International Airport, Birmingham city centre and the historic towns of Warwick and Stratford upon Avon is perfectly located for conferences and events, such as weddings and other celebrations, weekend getaways and midweek business travel.

Thank you for your review and I do hope we can welcome you back to The Regency hotel Solihull once again in the future.

Kindest Regards

Bath, UK
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a single room, 219. It was unpleasantly hot and noisy with no air conditioning or sound insulation and a cramped shower - definitely avoid this room. The Dinner menu in the side lounge is very limited but the food was OK. Breakfast was poor, at 7:30 there were still parts not out, and my coffee did not arrive until 7:45 despite arriving for breakfast at 7:10. Definitely substandard when compared with the nearby Premier Inn

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review the Regency Hotel.
I am sorry to hear that you were unable to have a good night’s rest with us due to the noise and heat, Following your comments I have asked our property maintenance team investigate all noise factors during the night and can report back to you that the extraction unit below room 219 has now been switched off at 7pm every evening.
I am sorry to hear that you felt the bar lounge menu was limited, we also have a restaurant open every night with a completely different menu which is regularly changed to ensure we are continually offering something different to our guests.
I am also sorry to hear that your experience was not as expected during breakfast, following your comments I have spent time with our breakfast team on improving our breakfast offering and I am happy to report that breakfast has greatly improved over the last weeks.
I would love to welcome you back to The Regency Hotel in the future and would like you to contact me directly to discuss this if you so wish, my email address is operations.solihull@corushotels.com and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Bradley Shough

Travellers are raving about these Shirley hotels

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Was booked in here for two nights for work and check in was easy room looked ok nice and clean, room 128.
Food choice was very poor in the restaurant and bar, service was slow food was luke warm. Then came time to go to sleep or lack of It I should say, bed was the most horrendous I have ever been in with lumps and bumps all over it no spring in it what so ever, pillows were thin and unsupportive and the noise constantly from the corridors was unbearable. I would avoid this hotel and stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us, I have passed your comments regarding food to our head Chef who does endeavour to cater to all gastronomic preferences, and I am sorry our food offering has not been to your standard.
Following your comments about your bedroom, I have tasked our head Housekeeper with checking all of the hotel beds and we will be changing any beds that are not up to standard.
With regard to the noise in the corridor, I have asked our Night team to increase the frequency of their evening walks around the building to ensure we minimalize any noise related issues throughout the night.
I understand that you do not wish to stay with us again, however I would like to discuss the possibility of you returning to the Regency in the future.
My email address is operations.solihull@corushotels.com

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We paid £89 for 3 course dinner bed late checkout and breakfast for two people on living social deal. Should have included fruit basket in room but they forgot it. We paid £20 to upgrade to executive room.

Room 102 was very large well furnished well decorated. The nets didn't fit the windows but the draw curtains were attractive and gave good black out. Tea tray poor quality no in room information regarding the hotel or surrounding areas. No air con but on request a very good fan was bought to us.

The communal areas were all well kept. Loads of tourist information in reception. The bar and dinning room both lacked character and ambience.

Menu was simple but well executed. Wine list good and reasonable prices. Lovely outside area with swing seat benches and gardens bit noisy from kitchen air con.

Very under staffed it was quiet on the Friday night we stayed but nevertheless could have done with more than one waiting in restaurant and one in bar.

Quality of breakfast items very good both tbe sausages and bacon were very good quality. Reasonable selection of cereal fruit etc.

Leisure facilities were good. Jacuzzi nice steam room very hot. Pool lovely pleasant temperatures. But needs some work to the tiling and decor in spa.

Overall good value for money.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you leaving such a comprehensive review following your recent stay at The Regency hotel Solihull.

I am pleased to hear that you were ejoyed the standard of our executive bedrooms, the standard of the public areas and the quality of the food and breakfast service. We have worked hard recently on making improvements to our breakfast, dinner and lounge service and offerings.

Craig, our Leisure club manager will also be pleased to hear of your positive feedback regarding the standard of the Gym, Swimming Pool and Jacuzzi.

I am sorry to hear that the fruit bowl was missing from your room and of the poor quality of the tea tray, I will discuss these points with our Head Housekeeper to ensure we do not make a repeat of the mistakes in the future.

I am delighted that you feel the Regency Hotel Solihull provides good value for money which is what we strive to provide to all of our guests whether they be visiting us for a weekend break, conference meeting, wedding reception or meal in our restaurant.

The Regency hotel Solihull has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment of the meeting and event facilities, public areas, restaurant, bar and coffee lounge. The hotel is ideally located close to the NEC, Birmingham International Airport and the historic towns of Warwick and Stratford upon Avon.

I do hope we can welcome you back to The Regency Hotel Solihull again in the future.

Kindest regards

Phil Brett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
Village Hotel Solihull
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Hogarths Hotel
Hogarths Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorridge

Been to The Regency Hotel Solihull? Share your experiences!