“Not a spa, not a pleasant experience - please avoid!”
Review of Spa Serenity - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Spa Serenity
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Was bought a visit to this "spa" with a massage through Wowcher as a birthday present. Massage was cancelled on the day due to illness, but we asked if we could visit the spa anyway. Couldn't believe it when we arrived - changing rooms were horrible, no lock on toilet door, no toilet paper, hand drier didn't work, shower was in the dark, towel rail was hanging out of the wall on a loose screw, most of the lockers didn't shut as the metal doors were bent out of shape and there were any padlocks for us to use (we were told we could take our things poolside!).

The pool was tiny and, had we arrived at our arranged time, swimming lessons would have taken up half of it. There were still children in the pool when we arrived, despite a sign saying no under-18s. I love children, but, as a teacher and a parent, I had hoped for a day away from other people's!

The jacuzzi was also tiny, so we couldn't even get into it at first. The button to turn it on was hanging off the wall and another guest had to demonstrate the "knack" to turn it on. We couldn't get into the sauna as it was occupied by a man reading the paper (only room for one)! When we could get in, we had to remove his paper and a load of empty cups. We were never offered a towel, although there were plenty of used ones on the floor.

Have read a previous review saying this place was like a council swimming pool, but that's an insult to my local pools which are 100 times more pleasant than this. Cannot believe that anyone staying in this hotel would accept these facilities. It is easily the worst pool I have ever visited.

The staff member on duty admitted that they were actually a spa! Goodness knows how this "experience" could be worth £210, as Wowcher claim. It was an experience, but not a pleasant one.

I couldn't face the thought of returning to the "facilities" or even going for the massage at a later date. The only positive comment I can make is that I did get a full refund from Wowcher, but sadly I didn't get my relaxing birthday present.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

If you are looking to go to a spa to have a relaxing and luxurious experience this is defiantly NOT the place to go.

Our day started with a young girl who looked clearly upset telling us that she was very sorry to say that she was on her own as one of the other girls had phoned in sick so she would have to stagger our treatment back to back leaving one of us to be waiting around for the other for over an hours.

Whilst waiting for my friend in the very poky and badly decorated reception area another two women who were booked in for a treatment session came in complaining about the facilities and cut my friend massage short as she could hear the commotion going on outside.

I have to say that we did feel sorry for the girl who was left to deal with all this but she dealt with the situation as best as she could after not being able to speak to her manager as she had turned off her phone.

Afterwards our plans had been to then go to the swimming pool and sauna but unfortunately there was a children's swimming class going on so the pool was full so we opted for a Jacuzzi.

After getting into the Jacuzzi we proceeded to press the start button but to no avail. IT DID NOT WORK!!!!

We both agreed that this was not the experience that we were hoping for and would not recommend anything to do with the Serenity Spa or the Hotel that it rents it two very small and dirty rooms from.

Bywater & Byng

1  Thank helen b
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I am terribly sorry to be writing this, but it has to be done. My husband booked me a complete Spa Experience at Serenity Spa @ The Regency in Shirley. I arrived at the 'spa' at 10am, with the view to use the sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and pool, then have a relaxing shower, ready for my included lunch at 12 noon. Well the fact it is called a Spa is just ridiculous. There was a children's swimming lesson on right up until 12 noon. I peared through the window from the filthy reception area, and all I could see were about 10 children practising jumping into the 'spa' swimming pool. All of the parents were lined up on the side of the pool, fully dressed. There was one gentleman pacing the side of the pool speaking loudly into his mobile phone. I was left in reception for 25 minutes! The swimming castumes were chained to the wall!!!!!!! I had to wait on a metal chair while kids were running around me. At one point a father bought his little girl into reception and plugged a hairdryer in to dry her hair. The radio was blaring. I have never ever known a spa like this in my life. This was a 30th birthday treat for me - 5 and a half hours of pure relaxation away from my baby boy and just life in general. I ended up getting so stressed out and anxcious whilst waiting in reception, that I ended up in tears. Absolute disaster. There was no way I was going to go and try to unwind in a child filled pool with the parents sat watching, while I'm in my swimming costume! Fiona came and got me from reception, and in all honesty she was brilliant. She did everything she could to calm me down. She was very aplogetic. I spoke to Sharon the manager on the phone and she also could not aplogise enough, and explained that she simply rented the treatment rooms from The Regency Hotel. I ended up having a full refund and leaving, so can not comment on the treatment rooms or quality of treatments. But the hotel is a disgrace. The 'spa' is like a council leaisure centre. It is dirty and dated. It is offensive that it is called a Spa. It has totally ruined my 30th birthday weekend. I am more stressed now than before this weekend began.

Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Visiting Serenity Spa at the Regency hotel I found the facilities to be a little dated perhaps detracting a little from the overall experience of luxury I was hoping for . However this was more than compensated by the best massage ever from Fiona . I left feeling completely relaxed and uplifted and have just booked for another. It was soooo nice . I would certainly recommend , it was the most relaxing massage I have ever had. Thank you Fiona.

Manager S, Manager at Spa Serenity, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind review. Fiona and all of the therapists work very hard and love what they do and i think this comes across to a client in treatments. They are always focused on a clients need and making sure that they have a wonderful experience.

We look forward to meeting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Used a Group on for a massage and pedicure. Treatments wonderful but surroundings scruffy and dated!! Air con unit didn't work and stuck together with tape!! Felt sorry for lovely therapist working in such awful warm and cramped conditions.

2  Thank Dogperson05