“Consistantly Brilliant”

The Finest Catch
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Shirley
Price range: US$4 - US$11
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Finest Catch is all about great food, great atmosphere, and fantastic customer service. Order whatever you wish at any time. Just a starter, or just an ice cream, or just a coffee... no problem.
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Having again recently visited the restaurant in Shirley my family and I were as pleased as ever. Wonderful staff and service and wonderful food, probably the best Fish n Chips in Birmingham. How can anyone be dissappointed. If course we will be back, we always are.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have eaten here on three occasions, the first two of which were problem free and we recommended it to friends. On the last occasion (2nd week of April 14) we were served soggy chips, old fish dripping in fat/oil & cold peas. Clearly any quality control system is either absent or not functioning correctly. Sadly we won't be returning.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Have visited the Henley-in-Arden branch of the Finest Catch on many, many occasions and have always found it to be of a fairly consistent standard. We only chose to eat at the Shirley branch of the same franchise, as we were passing and would have expected it to be of the same standard as it's local counterpart, but it was a very poor relation by comparison. The restaurant itself doesn't have the same comfortable ambience as the Henley branch and the service was fairly poor, certainly not as welcoming. My portion size for the 'large' cod and chips was rather disappointing, with only a tiny amount if chips. I wasn't too worried by this at first, as I know that the Finest Catch policy is to keep you topped-up with chips, if you want more. But at no point during the meal did any of the waiting staff come to the table to ask if we required anything else, so I didn't get my fill of chips. Yes, I could have gone and found a member of waiting staff to ask for a 'refill', but I took the attitude of 'why should I have to?' On the whole, a largely disappointing and forgettable dining experience, so I'll be sticking to the Henley-in-Arden branch in future.

1  Thank JoolzTrekker
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Big portions of nicely cooked food although found batter on fish very greasy. Liked the diner atmosphere but the service was a bit slow with one miserable waitress, though rest of staff were fine. Overall nice place.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We often call in here for our fish supper. The fish and chips is always great and reasonably priced. The staff have always been pleasant and polite. Lucky to have such a good place right on my doorstep.