See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Retiro do Rio is a fantastic location for a peaceful holiday in central Portugal. Away from it all but with all the required comfort and facilities. We had a good appartment/studio (Canela) with terrace and there is a beautiful swimming pool above the river, The local baker comes every morning with your order. Supermarkets are 10-15 min drive away. You can also join your hosts for dinner if you don't feel like cooking. Retiro do Rio is close enough for day trips to Coimbra, the coastal beaches, Viseu and the Serra da Estrela. For a great meal try Restaurante Quinta De Cabriz in Carregal do Sal. The access road is a bit of a challenge for an inexperienced driver but well worth the effort to enjoy the unforced hospitality of Elena and Ruurd.

Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at Retiro no Rio in September 2012. What a beautiful part of the world. The accomodation was clean and comfortable, the location on the river with lovely views absolutely stunning. Our hosts were very friendly and accomodating and the evening meals that they provided as an optional extra were superb. We enjoyed a canoe safari down the Mondego river which finished at our accomodation and found several interesting and out of the way spots to explore. SOmething for the whole family, we will definitely be back.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Jean M
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at Retiro no Rio during my roadtrip through Portugal. When I arrived i was amazed about the beautiful views from anywhere on the property. The appartments all have terraces with river views.
There is a short walk private road to the river side. It's beautiful to walk along the river and just sit on the rocks and enjoy the views.
Togheter with the friendly owners, a lot of atractions and historical cities in the area, breakfast by the owners or freshly delivered bread by the baker (every morning), this really is a place you WANT to go back some time or show it to friends or family.
Recommended place if you want to see the real Portugal!

Room tip: I stayed in Studio Canela on my own. This studio is also suitable for a couple or a couple with 2 children easily. It has one bed in the living room and an extra bedroom.
Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Arjen E
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I had a great time in Retiro no Rio. I stayed there with my friend in a really nice room B and B - Dahlia. We enjoyed all the time there. The area around was always clean and the swimming pool outside was just great. We also had a dinner and BBQ with the owners and other guests of Retiro, it was so nice to spent some time with them and had a delicious food. The dutch people who owns the guesthouse are nice and friendly, always helped us with questions about traveling and other when we needed.
The area of Retiro no Rio is beautiful (nice nature around and villages, also lots of nice cities), there is a river Mondego, where we spent lots of time, sunbathing or swimming, also there is possibility to go kayaking, which is also great.
It is relax, quite place... just a great place where to spent a nice holiday and travel around the Portugal. Hope I will go back there again.

Room tip: Dahlia - is the one where I stayed - really nice
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank zuzana B
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The first time I went for a holiday at Retiro no Rio with some friends it had only just been opened and, as was explained, a lot of work still had to be done. Nevertheless, the apartment was clean and cosy and the owners went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Needless to say I went back there - 4 times so far - with one or two friends and now that most of the work has been done it looks absolutely wonderful. Every single apartment was completed, the bbq area looks great and the swimming pool is fantastic. I'll certainly go back there some time in September, looking forward to enjoying the peace and quiet, the day trips to the beautiful surroundings and those marvellous hosts who have become amost like family.

Date of stay: September 2010