“Nice hotel, bad location and poor compliants handling”

Club Med Serre-Chevalier
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Briancon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Narberth, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, bad location and poor compliants handling”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I've never written a review before but have decided to do so for 3 reasons:
1. Lovely hotel with a great atmosphere, nice food, small rooms but no interconnecting rooms. A pain when you are trying to get your three children and yourself ready for skiing in the morning. That the positives out of the way - There was a terrible smelling toilet in our room! Complained 3 times to the hotel but they never resolved the problem.
2. Be very careful about baggage. Club Med never told us of baggage limit of 1 bag per person, and it wasn't on any paperwork. We landed up having to pay about £150 in baggage costs for our ski boots. Not impressed as we didn't actually have big suitcases and in total our baggage weight was less that the total allowed!! If we had known in advance we would have packed differently. We have tried resolving the problem with Club Med but they don't want to reimburse us for that additional cost. While it may be trivial, I am at the point of putting them in the small claims court as they are being big headed about our complaint. I have never personally taken anyone to court before, however, I have through my business and I am quite confident that a judge would rule in our favour.
3. Serre - Chevalier has lovely skiing but getting up the mountain was time consuming and very frustrating. The ski back to the hotel at lunch times and at the end of lessons was a pain.
All in all we enjoyed the holiday but will think twice of booking with clubmed again.

Room Tip: long way to walk back and forth to the rooms. Try and get a room close to reception.
2 Thank s d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bath
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Hotel

The Club Med hotel was brilliant. Room was adequate (not enormous, but big enough, clean and comfortable) and the hotel itself never felt overwhelmingly busy, despite being at capacity. Our room was adjacent to our friends’, which was nice.

We always got a table at mealtimes without a problem and the buffet style arrangement worked well; queues for particular dishes were rarely more than 2 or 3 people long and it never felt like you had to wait for your meal. The choice of dishes on offer was excellent and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

Evening entertainment wise, there was always something going on – usually totally bonkers, but fun. For our part though, we generally all took the chance to have an early night ready for a full day’s skiing.

Throughout our stay, everyone at the Club Med seemed to go out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We never had a problem with any of the staff and the Resort Chief, Stephan Noublanche was always on hand to keep things running smoothly. The all inclusive option worked very well and there was really no need to spend any money (although naturally we had to buy the kids ‘Serre Che 45’ t-shirts).

In short, I would recommend Club Med Serre Che to anyone, without hesitation.

Equipment

We opted to rent from Club Med directly; an expensive option but very convenient. The ski room is at the bottom of the hotel (underneath the restaurant) and we quickly picked up skis, boots and poles on Sunday afternoon. All of the equipment seemed fine (as far as we could tell, as beginners) and fairly new. The boots especially seemed good.

Even after a week skiing, we were all blister free (one of our friends changed her boots after the first day because they were a bit uncomfortable, but this was done quickly and without complaint; her new boots were then fine for the rest of the week). Similarly, one of our party snapped a pole during a fall, and it was replaced without question (or charge).

Being able to lock up your skis and poles in the ski room, and leave your boots there on the warming racks, was very convenient.

Skiing

From the ski room, you walk through a short tunnel to the slopes, located just a couple of hundred metres above the 20 person Pontillas cable car; could not be easier.

On our first morning we got the kids ready for ski school, all fretful parents desperate not to leave their little ones to the mercy of some sort of snowy childcare. We need not have worried, as all the staff were incredibly kind and helpful and the kids loved it from day one. Their ‘flocon’ group of around 11 six to ten years olds consisted entirely of English speaking children, so they quickly made friends with others in the group.

Each day we all made steady progress, from the nursery slopes on day 1, up to the easy greens (Ecole du Frejus), longer/harder greens (Barres, Chameant, Frejus), blues (Pre Jeanne etc.) and finally on the last Friday afternoon of lessons, a red (Clot Gauthier). Most days we’d either get the Frejus gondola back down the mountain, then a Club Med bus back to the hotel, or (as our skiing improved) ski all the way back to the door of the hotel via the Frejus green). Each day, cakes, vin chaud and other goodies would always be there to welcome you home.

Our ESF instructor (Guillaume) was great and it was an enjoyable week. We even did some slow motion video analysis (he taped us skiing individually down a couple of hundred metres of piste), which was really helpful. Although I’m sure I’d have got a lot more from private lessons, I felt my skiing improved a lot over the week and all in all it was a fun experience. The folks in my group were all lovely people and we quickly build up a good camaraderie, despite being a mix of English and French speakers.

We did however find skiing continuously from 9.30 to 12.00 and then 2.30 to 5.00 every day quite tiring! Indeed, my wife and I both took Thursday afternoon off as we were exhausted; it proved to be a good move as we skied much better the following day.

Saturday morning was optional fun competitions for the kids (they opted to do it…) which we went to watch. We were thrilled at their progress, as they all buzzed happily (and rapidly) round the slopes – apparently they had been skiing some easy blues towards the end of the week, so were becoming quite comfortable on skis. Finally, Saturday afternoon was lesson-free, so we skied together as a family, taking the Pontillas car up to the Frejus chair and then the Barres button to the top of the Barres green run – skied that several times as a family (well, both families together) which was great fun, before taking the Frejus gondola back down.

Despite it being half term, list queues never seemed to be too bad, even allowing for the fact that as an ESF class we could sometimes jump to the front. All in all it never felt really busy.

Weather

We had unbroken sunshine every day except one (Wednesday – overcast, windy and -16 degrees - but we could still ski and had a great day) and the temperature was typically only -5 or -6. Accordingly, thermals and a jacket were generally more than sufficient and we rarely wore our mid-layers.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LJEBath
Strasbourg
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We spent a week here at the end of january. I'd read other trip advisor opinions before leaving and was thus a little aprehensive. However, it appears that these comments are read and reacted upon by the club. Well done.
The children were really well looked after. A big thank you goes to MORGANE, OLEG, FANNY, ELLEN, of the mini club and all the others who did a great job in reassuring my 6 year old girl and ofcourse to CAROLINE and CELINE who worked wonders with my son at the petit club. How they mangage to get such a wonderful show together in such a short time is beyond me. The kids were so very happy. Thank you/
As for the skiing. Apart from paying a 200€ supplement for my son to have skiing lessons in the petit club, another less positive aspect is the location of the petit club ski lessons -take place hidden at the back of the club and gets little sunshine, so the children were often cold. I agree with the other comments - not enough ski teachers at the mini club.
For the adults - the snowboard lessons were well taught. Thanks to Johann and Vincent!
As for the restaraunt, or should I say canteen? Never enough spoons! We had to hunt for those. The quality of the food 'laisse à désirer' mashed potatoes that obviously were from a packet (traces of dehydrated powder in my portion!) the layout of the serving area is very confusing - you wander around for ages looking for vegetables. The deserts were obviously bought in. Shame.
As for the GOs, they certainly had plenty of energy and manage to keep smiling - just about. However, those that welcome you at the top of the stairs to the restaurant have problems keeping polite. Comments such as "p*tain" and "ça me fatigue " ARE AUDIBLE to the clients!
EMILIE - the lifeguard - you ROCK!
The room was ok. We were away from the noise on the first floor in D section. However, even though the rooms were non-smoking, the corridors stank of smoke. The room itself was difficult to heat, given its situation on the ground. The bathroom has no towel heater and was pretty cold, especially on the floor! The small electric radiators were on all the time to keep the place warm. The cupboards however, were a bit dirty, sticky stains left from another occupant.
The bar area is nice and cosy, however, for parents who don't actually leave their kids at the club all the time, a small play area, or a few toys and books available while the parents have a apéro, would be a great addition.
All in all, the location is great, the welcome is friendly, the organisation was without fault and the children were happy. Expensive, yes, but worth it.

1 Thank BritgirlStrasbourg
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Club med serre-Chevalier is a wonderful place for family .First thing I want to thank Achraf for all the help.Secondly no less important than the first, it wonderful location close to the village that next to the hotel.The rooms are nice and comfortable to stay in after ski.Cleanliness can be improved because the cleaning hours are exactly the same hour which we return from the skiing and ita bit disturbing to get organized.
In conclusion: the hotel is excellent and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Aviv K
Belgium
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Slightly overdue but here it is, my Serre Chevalier Trip report, enjoy !

Europe is easy, you jump in your car and a few hours later you're on the slopes. So on a bright Saturday morning we set off into the sunrise. It's about 1000km from where we live to Serre Chevalier and not being in a hurry we decided to take it slow and do the trip in two days. First stop Dijon (that's where they invented Mustard, I think) which is a beautiful city, definitely worth going back some day. We arrived around 4pm and dropped off our luggage in search of a nice place to have a drink and then dinner. Even though the city is undergoing major road works the center is delightfully cosy and has a lot of atmosphere. All is wonderful except if you're hungry before 7pm because that's when they open. So after a few seemingly long hours of 'hanging around' we finally got fed. It was going to be an early night to leave bright and early in the morning for the last few hundred kilometers.

It's a good idea to leave early especially when you have to drive into the mountains. We were hitting the Col du Lautaret around lunchtime and from there it would be less than an hour to Club Med. That is of course if there is no snow ro ice on the road. Driving up it was becoming clear that at some point I would have to put on snow chains, but I came prepared. I had even practiced at the office on how to lay them out (these things get tangled in a second). The inevitable moment comes that it is no longer safe to drive without them so we pull over and I bravely tell the Mrs "It'll be done in ten minutes, easy". Yeah, sure. I had this eerie sensation a few hours early that I had overlooked something but couldn't really point out what. So soon I realized that the chains I had were of my previous car, which in itself wouldn't be a problem except that the size of my tires turned out to be much bigger than before. My hads are freezing, I see other correctly equipped fellow travelers putting on their chains as if it was a breeze and after more than an hour I am still struggling wondering if I'll ever manage to get over the hill. Thick rubber bands will do miracles and in the end I kinda got them attached but for one I would suggest: "Do try this at home!".

Nothing will stop us to get to our destination so we very very very slowly drove up and down, checking the contraption every 200m or so and creating huge traffic jams and angry drivers, until no snow or ice was to be found. Club Med Serre Chevalier, here we come.

It's always a relieve when you see the Club Med sign. You know you're there, the misery is over and the fun begins. Two slightly frozen but apparently overjoyed G.Os welcome at the entrance of the village and things are so well organised that we get our room key and all the explanation at once ... what a service and finally all is well. Just a quick drive to drop off the luggage at the entrance and back to leave the car in the covered parking lot for the rest of the week. It's €85 to parkl your car there but it is definitely worth it. If it starts snowing you will probably have a terrible time trying to get your car out of the parking lot. Especially for experienced snow chain massacrers like me.

The first thing you will notice about the resort is that IT'S BIG. But it's big AND very cosy. They have done a great job decorating the place and you would never feel it has a capacity of over a thousand guests. Actually we never had that feeling the whole week we stayed there and the resort was near full capacity. The roosm are what they are, you get what you see on the advertised pictures and are in local style. They are nice and quite big for french standards and have everything you will need. Flat screen TV etc ... but no fridge ! How could they. We like to have some cool drinks in the room just in case so that was the next problem to solve. No need calling the front desk, even though very friendly, they will not bring you a complimentary fridge; But being in the mountains, in a ski resort, in winter .... you have the best nature friendly freezer right there... outside. So attaching a small bag to the balcony got us our instant eco-friendly freezer. Yes, I know freezer ... that does indeed make drinks too cold and not immediately drinkeable but we're on holiday so we're not going to be picky, are we ?

Contrary to summer holidays unpacking for winter holidays is a bit more work. Basically the whole car is packed with ski suits and boots and skis and a lotta stuff to keep you warm and you have to fit all this in a closed. It will work but takes some time. Unless you thrown everything on the spare bed (we had a family room) and decide to dig for it whenever you need something.

Ski's can be dropped off at the ski center which is just one floor down from the main entrance and easy to get to. It can handle a lot of skis and a lot of boots but finding you little spot is easy as everything is clearly numbered. If you need to have your ski's repaired or checked they have all the equipment there ready to get you going.

All set time to explore the hotel. There is a pool behind the reception. It is quite big and quite cold, so we would discover a few days later. They post the water as being 27°C but I think the thermometer is broken. Seems that we weren't the only ones having trouble staying in the water for more than 3 minutes but apparently they are not allowed to heat it up more ... some regulation. I know, the kiddy pool is usually warmer, but that's another topic.

There is a pool table in front of the pool and two computers are there as well for those who decided not to bring their own. Wifi is available all through the hotel and it costs €20 for the week. Cheap but then again it is slow, irritatingly slow. Must be the high altitude ;-)

The main area where you will find the Bar, the boutique and the stairs to the restaurant, has windows all alongside it so you have a view of the terrace, the snow covered outside pool and the mountains. It's beautiful and we can't wait to get on the slopes tomorrow. Time to get a drink at the bar from a very friendly Bar team. You nae it and if they can they will make it for you. We have travelled far and dangerously but as we sip on our first cocktail stretched out on a very comfortable couch looking at the snowy mountains, life is good and all the worries disappear like snow in the sun.

The sun, it will be there all week and the weather predictions are great. Not a could in sight for the next 7 days and temperatures not even that could. Barely -9°C up there. BUT ! Unfortunately the hotel is located on the 'unsunny' side of the mountain so whicle you will be bathing in sunshine for breakfast and lunch ... by 2PM it's gone and you can only envy the people in the hotels on the other side of the valley whose inhabitants cal us Iceheads. Wonder why? Did they try our swimming pool ?

DAY1: Seven layers of fleece swaters and socks and gloves and thermal underwear and polar grade ski suits later we are ready to slide out of there. The slopes are right there at your door. They literally start at 3m from the door ! What a luxury !!!!!! DOn't you hate to have to take an overcrowded bus with overheated people clumsily holding their ski's and poles and kids, then a 20 minute walk in ski boots to get to the elevator. Not at Serre Chevalier ! 3m and your outthere, sliding down a very easy slope up to the main cabin that will take you up there.

There you are, at the top of the world (OK, it's not mount Everest, but you know what I mean. It's beautiful, breathtakingly, nose freezingly, foot hurtingly beautiful. It's a vast ski area. And unless you're up there from morning till late afternoon you will not be able to try every slope. Just too many of them. Big boulevards from the top all the way down and because the area is so big it does at time feels like you're the only one outthere. No waiting at the skilifts, just a little piece of heaven when you're dressed warm enough.

There is no altitude restaurant but that isn't really necessary. You can slide down the slope, take the red one or the the green one, they will both get you to 3m from the hotel door. Drop off your skis and boots in the ski locker and a wonderful buffet awaits you. Not to be compared to the crappy, overcowded and very expensive snacks you will get at any high altitude restaurant. Usually there is some activity organized by the G.O's on the terrace in front of the pool. Gluhwein, sausages, cheese etc etc etc. The restaurant has it's own terrace so on a sunny day (and we had lots of them) you'll be enjoying your lunch and a fantastic view.

You have to do it every day so you might as well do it right and that is one thing they understand at Club Med. If you like (French, but not only) food then the kitchen team at Serre Ché does a fantastic (and that's understating it) job. You will gain a few pounds even though you ski every day, there is no escape. Every day they come up with local delicacies, but going into details on this would make this trip report wayyyyy to long (and I already know it is). So we're back on the slopes in the afternoon, in a desperate attempt to work off the whole grilled cheese (yes, a delicious 5 inch wide 1.5 inch thick smooth grilled French cheese) I had for lunch. As I mentioned earlier, we're on the 'wrong' side of the mountain so you will have to go all the way up to catch those rays of sun, but again, it's always worth it.

The ski lifts close around 4pm so time to get refreshed and hang the ski suits and gloves out to dry for tomorrow. Snecks are served around 4 for all those hungry skiers coming back (yes, hungry!, amazing) and even though it will not strike you on day one, the main area will be different every day. CDV Stephan Noublanche (Stephan pronounced like the french 'enfant' ! Stéphane, pronounced like 'Cannes' at the end is his wife) is one of the few CDV's I have seen who is so involved with his team and actually works with them. Whether it is moving furniture around or setting up the evening's disco party. He is there and not only distributing orders. Stéphan and Stéphane are a great couple. The kind of CDV who makes you go back to a village just because he is there. We did talk to many G.O's and they all say the same and like to work with them. Never a bad word.

It would be unfair to thos we didn't meet so we are not going to say this or that G.O was the best. They all are and we were suprised at the general friendliness and enthousiasm the whole team was displaying. Maybe it is because a lot of them are in their first season.

Weeks like this end too soon, we wanted to stay one more day, maybe two, or more but all good things .... So after a great week of skiing, making new friedns for life, eating more than medically sound and in all having a lot of fun we have to take all the stuff we had unloaded on day one and get it back in the car (how did we manage to get all this in in the first place? It was great ! Just one tiny tiny thing. Everyone was so helpful when we arrived to get all our luggage and things up to our room so we were all ready to go, all bags packed, skis and boots and all. So we called reception to ask them to pick up our suitcases and got a "There are trolleys in the lobby, you have to do it yourself". Yes, we were leavin and our holiday was almost to an end and yes you have the next batch of G.Ms arriving. But when I ask for some help in a resort chain that is going upscale ... I also expect to get this kind of service, even on my way out.

That being said it was a great week, great place, great peole, great food, great weather, great G.O Team, Great CDV ....

Here's the video:

For more information on Serre Chevalier

Enjoy
Mike

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I had a great week in Serre Chevalier with Club Med back in mid Jan. The staff are great, the food is fantastic and the evening entertainment is amusing. However, my very expensive snowboard and bindings were stolen from my ski/board locker (which was locked with the key) in the secure (apparently) from 8pm to 8am boot room on the evening of day 2. I would have thought that the manager would have done everything in his power to assist me a victim of crime in his hotel, however I didn't even get an apology. I had to go to the police station, fill out forms, fill out more forms at Club Med and when I asked that they lend me a board and bindings the the remainder of the week, they did.

Having come back, I have sent two emails with no response, one fax with no response, three tweets with a response saying 'we're sorry to hear etc etc' but no word on the replacement of the board and bindings.

There was another theft the same week as they gave me someone else's theft declaration to sign so I would just say BEWARE and don't expect Club Med to care if you are a victim of crime there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Lucyhome07
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Serre-Chevalier, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Customer,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday experience in our Serre Chevalier Resort. It is only with very constructive criticism from such as yours that Club Med will be able to monitor and improve if necessary, the standards and quality of services offered in all its resorts worldwide.

We have noted your comments with regards to the handling of the incident that happen to you. Our Customer Relations Department received your complaint that you had initially sent to the wrong Head Office. Our Customer Relations team forwarded your complaint to our insurance brokers in France and provided you with their contact details so that you could make your claim. I can assure you that this incident has been reported to the relevant departments in our organisation for their attention.

On behalf of Club Med, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as a result. I can assure you that the safety of our guests is Club Med’s priority and we do our utmost to make sure that they can enjoy their stay as much as possible.

On a more positive note, we were glad to read that you found our staff great, and that you enjoyed the food and the evening entertainment.

With these positive thoughts in mind, we sincerely hope that despite the incident that you have mentioned in your review, Club Med will still remain an option for your next holiday and that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company, by welcoming you to another Club Med Resort in the not too distant future.

Best Regards,

Your Club Med UK team
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Just completed my 6th Club Med ski holiday. First time in Serre Chevalier and based on our past trips did not disappoint. Great building and vast bar/dining room. Great outdoor terraces to soak up the lunchtime sun. Food was good and plentiful as ever. Would recommend this particular Club Med without hesitation.

1 Thank gordonmacanderson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Briancon
Soleil Vacances - Parc Hotel Residence
#5 of 12 in Serre-Chevalier
Chalet des Touristes
Chalet des Touristes
#6 of 12 in Serre-Chevalier

Been to Club Med Serre-Chevalier? Share your experiences!