“English speakers beware”

Club Med Serre-Chevalier
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Briancon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have just returned from this club med the fourth one we have stayed at. Two of our party came down with a tummy bug on day two and although we went to the Doctor on site and they gave them tablets there was no surprise or concern so we reckon this happens a lot. We found out later that some others went down with the same thing. We were advised by some of the staff to stay off salads and rice.There was an extra volume of children at the village than I have ever noticed before even though it was not the French school holidays. I chose this village because it was recommended for the English speaking but we were out on a limb and could not join in most of the activties as they were all in french.The food was poor and luke warm even for a 3T and was presented poorly for a Club med. Although we have stayed in excellent Clubs before I do not have the confidence to risk another.On a positive note the staff were very helpful and friendly except for a very arrogant bar guy which we tried to avoid at all costs and the evening entertainment was good. We as a party reached Gold status do not think you get anything to write home about as it is not worth all the money we have spent over the years. A mention to the girl who cleaned our room she was a star.
Take my advice AVOID AVOID AVOID.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank antony c
There are newer reviews for Club Med Serre-Chevalier

Reviewed 20 March 2013

CM Serre Chevalier has put us off going to CM again I'm afraid.....we have been to a few CMs, 3 & 4 T and while overall we like the experience and it suits our young family, especially for ski holidays, there have been a few niggles which we easily tolerated until now. Principally, the attitude of the staff does sometimes leave a lot to be desired. You certainly don't get the level of service available in a five or even four star hotel even though a lot of the time you are paying five star prices-you get the impression that the staff in CM just aren't trained for service industry to a five or even four star level: they have the attitude " well I'm really a student/whatever". The attitude is generally that this is just a phase in what will no doubt be their individual life experiences filled with adventure. That is entirely their own business, good luck to them BUT when I pay a lot of money to stay in a resort, I really do resent having to be the victim of their insouciant attitude to customer service. Honourable mention must go to the girl who works in the swimming pool, who told me that the pool closes earlier than advertised on the notice at the entrance to the pool when I tried to get in to use the shower one evening half hour before closing time-there were no fresh towels put in my room that day, plus the showers in the rooms are just awful-really primitive. She looked at her watch and shook her head and said "closed" even though as i said, it is half hour before closing. Another evening I tried to purchase wifi code (€20 for the week) the girl at reception said sorry she had no codes and I would have to come back in the morning. I had had to send an urgent email for work but had no choice but to wait-still had to pay the full price which as a matter of principle, was really irksome. The fact that the children HATED the mini club was not of course helpful either. All in all, this is not a good CM experience and will most likely not return to a CM resort for holidays in future-there are better hotels and holidays available for similar prices.

Room Tip: Just find a good hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank noschol
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Of the many clubs I stayed, this was by far the worst. It lacks in atmosphere and if you do not speak French you feel left out both on the slopes and during any social activity in the club. The food, that usualy is a PLUS at any club, is less than average. Variety is there but no real change over the week, and it seemed not clean or hygiene. It all tasted bland and the display was like in an army mess hall. Would not recomend this club!!!
Even the kids had hard timne with lack of French at the Mini Club and Petite Club.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a Terrace
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Rafib1950
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I've just been, and I'd like to order some of the photos that they take of you from in and around the hotel. Does anyone happen to know the URL of the company that was doing it? It was plastered all over the wall where those touchscreens were, but I forgot to jot it down.. doh

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2013

It is a perfect place for families, very well organized, in a fantastic location, directly on the slopes (huge station, with every kind of piste, for beginners and more expert and one of the best places for off piste). Included in the price you have ski lessons morning and afternoon, full board and entertainment. Animation is outstanding, very nice with every age of kid. You can do what you want, but if needed, you can drop your kids at 8 am and collect them at 5 pm, they feed them, they prepare them for ski lessons and take them there. Food is very nice, with a great variety of things. In general personnel is outstandingly nice and gentle, always smiling and willing to help. I definitely endorse it!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Elena V
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Just back from skiing at Club Med Serre Chevalier and apart from being unwell while away (nothing to do with Club Med) I can recommend the holiday to family's or groups. The food and drink is plentiful and of good to excellent standard. Ok the very occasional dish might be over cooked and the soups have a powdery texture to them so not great but the amount of different food on offer for each service and general quality is incredible and you would be hard pushed not to find something you enjoy. My husband particularly enjoyed the Duck, Beef Wellington and the sea food night where he had oysters, whelks in shell, shell on prawns, muscles, clams, crab claws etc.
The room we had was very good, a Deluxe on 4th floor. Large lounge area and adequate size bedroom. The bed was the most comfortable I have slept in abroad, pillow top mattress and soft quilt. No milk given for coffee with your tea making facilities but ask for some at the bar and put in fridge. The only thing that as a couple we didn't enjoy was the GO who dressed up in various costumes and shouted on a microphone to the kids. Her voice was so loud she didn't need any assistance and where ever you went in the large lounge/reception/theatre/bar which was all one large area you could hear it and then some! No disrespect to her as the kids seemed to enjoy it but if you wanted a bit of relaxation there was nowhere out of earshot.
Lift up to first ski station is a standup gondola which mostly gets packed with people so if you're slightly claustrophobic catch it after 10 in the morning. There is an old style chairlift after the gondola which takes you to a large area with various routes to ski, all great.
The two bubbles that take you up from the village area 5 mins from club med are tiny and old. The one I went in the doors didn't shut properly and there was a hole in the roof! Fairly short and quick though and lovely long blue run down. The Frejus bubble did keep stopping due to high winds which was at least 3 days out of 6.
The GO's do a fantastic job, it felt like 5 star luxury on arrival and departure. They waved our coach party goodbye at 6.30am in the morning on a freezing day, that's dedication. I especially want to mention the English GO from North London, Laura I think, dark long hair. Such a lovely bubbly girl who went out of her way to help and chat to everyone. She should be working behind the bar and not just collecting glasses as she is definitely an asset to make the UK tourists feel welcome.
Spoke to other UK Club med tourists who have been to several other destinations with club med. They were surprised by the large amount of under 5's at the hotel, not sure if this is usual at this hotel but they said other destinations don't have this level of young children. If you aren't keen on spending your holiday relaxation time with army loads of children milling about and f you don't speak French it all seems a lot louder, then maybe it's not the place for you. Anyone with young children or grand children would love it.
I think the hotel would benefit from an adults only room away from the noise and drama of the open plan family area.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2013

This was my first visit to club med and the first ski trip with such a large group of people (14 of us) and I would be lying if I did not admit I had reservations especially as I was the only none skier. I need not have worried! The Hotel was well run by The Chef de Village, Abdel, who worked tirelessly, leading by example with boundless energy. The customer care was excellent. All the staff were friendly and welcoming. The style of holiday felt more "eurovision" than "luxury" with lots of entertainment from the staff in the evening that varied but was always enthusiastic and often very professional. No-one will ever starve here. Good food is available constantly buffet style either at breakfast, lunch or dinner plus extras in the bar and reception area, freshly made pancakes,cakes and tartes for returning skiers, olives and other nibbles pre dinner. Most of the party took advantage of the free ski lessons and in particular Corine who took the 2a group was voted a huge success with everyone improving over the week. The skiers enjoyed the ski in ski out and the break at lunchtime worked well coming back to the hotel for food and relaxation before attacking the slopes again. The indoor pool was quite cold. I had taken several books to read to fill in my time but need not have bothered. The spa treatments were very good. I made full use of the ski pass and travelled on the ski bus to Briancon a few times and would definitelt recommend a trip to theThermal Grands Bains du Monetier only 10 mins up the road by skibus. This is an amazing place with severa thermal indoor pools and a thermal all year round outdoor pool plus outdoor jacuzzi, steam rooms etc

Room Tip: I opted for an upgrade in case I spent more time in the room as not skiing (not necessary). All roo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank VGNonski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Briancon
Rock Noir
Suite-Home Briancon Serre Chevalier
Le Grand Aigle Hotel
Le Grand Aigle Hotel
#2 of 12 in Serre-Chevalier

Been to Club Med Serre-Chevalier? Share your experiences!