“Value for money”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Kalkudah
Klippan, Sweden
“Value for money”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A new well designed 5 star hotel in east coast of Sri lanka. Service is excellent from check in to check out time. Even the minor details are well attended. Never miss the Jet ski ride (Rs 2500/15mts). Beach is very sandy and clean. I forgot my valuable camera on a pool table, they returned it to me after several hours. Food is tasty. all the rooms have a ocean view. But a room close to the restaurant will be helpful.

Room Tip: A rrom close to the restaurant will be helpful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with my wife and it was simply an amazing experience.. The rooms were very comfortable and stylish and had a really good entertainment system as well.. The beach was really great and you could even swim there as there were hardly any waves.. The staff was extremely nice and friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.. The only complains I have is with regard to our room which was only made available to us at 4pm which was 2 hours after the check-in time and the food being a bit average.. The food that was served was pretty much the same throughout the trip and was a bit ordinary.. Apart from these small issues, the stay was very much enjoyable and I would definitely go there again.. =)

1 Thank Thilina C
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We went Uga Bay to celebrate our second wedding anniversary.. They gave us a surprise by giving a cake along with two wine glasss. That was really great since we did not expect such a thing. All the staff was really helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious and clean. Also, the view and the surroundings were great. We felt like we sholud have to spend more time there. Actually, it was a reallly great experience which made our anniversary a memorable one.

Room Tip: The rooms in upstairs have a good view.
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Firstly, I would to say that I do not usually write reviews so negatively, but it was very hard to find the positives here! My husband and I stayed at Uga Bay in August for 4 nights and we had booked an ocean view room with an 'uninterrupted view'! The first room we were 'put' in (and I say 'put' as we were literally dumped in the room, with no explanation, conversation etc) which was the second row back from the beach definitely did not have this! (See picture). I complained immediately and was told they were fully booked, but we could change the next day, which we did and this did have the view we were hoping for (See picture). However, I would say that the improved room and the whole resort is far from being 5*. The room had scuffs all along the wall, and little details such as the robes looked dirty and the wardrobes were broken. There were lots of children running through the grounds and big groups of people who played their own music loudly on the beach...next to the beach bar....not the most relaxing environment! The staff are very young and inexperienced. When I asked for a cushion for the wooden beach lounger, I was told there were non left, even though half the loungers had non on them, so this was extremely uncomfortable. The bar staff tried, but did not really know what they were doing. We went for dinner the first evening and service was very slow and they did not half the dishes on the menu (other table that even didn't even get their food!). We spoke to a Manager, who be quite honest seemed more concerned about himself than ensuring his guests were happy. Whilst a barman was making our drinks one evening, he called over to get his gin and tonic served first!!! Things only seem to improve with the arrival of more senior manager on site and he immediately started getting things sorted......like a getting cushions on the all the sun loungers and fixing parasols etc. We had arrived from Uga Bay's fabulous sister hotel we had such high expectations and to say were disappointed would be an understatement. I am not sure that Uga Bay is a relaxing choice for couples and is more suited to groups or families, which is such as shame as the beach is magnificent! I was given the feedback form, just as we were leaving getting into our car and asked to complete it there and then....I took it with me and posted it to Uga Escapes Head Office. I only hope things have improved, as it has such potential to be a beautiful resort with a little more care and attention.

Room Tip: For a uninterrupted view ask for one of the 8 rooms on the front row
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trinibelini
Ramli G, Director/ CEO at Uga Bay, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this valuable feedback and we appreciate it very much as it is with such feedback we can continue to improve and offer a superior experience to our guests. We've noted all your comments from the feedback form which you completed at the resort in August 2013 and have taken measures to address all areas of concern.

Thank you once again and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Uga Bay.

Ramli Ghaffoor
Tunis, Tunisia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Very beautiful hotel . The view is amazing. The rooms are lovely decorated and very comfortable. The crew is attentive,helpful and very kind. The restaurent is also great . I strongly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank amal m
Herzliya, Israel
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We loved the hotel. it's beautiful new hotel with beautiful beach. the rooms are lovely decorated and i'm happy we picked that hotel in Pasekudha.
I loved the fact that the hotel crew is really trying to make you satisfied and ask for your opinion to get better all the time. because of the way they care about the guests - they will become better more and more.
The food - some of the dishes were good and some less. When I said something is not tasty for me they ask why and wanted to understand and suggest another dish for me. All in all the food is good especially the soups and fish /seafood but there are some dishes that need to be improved. Also the cocktails were tasty.
Thank you! :)

Room Tip: better taking the rooms in front of the beach - the one we took was there and it was great!
1 Thank Malmichal
Reviewed 22 October 2013

As per my experience this is the best beach I ever found on Sri Lanka. At the first seen my memories goes to
Maldives.. The place it less crowded & have a long beach with shallow water. It’s a great place to spend few hours in isolate
Counting stars.

The Hotel was amazing & newly built with stunning architecture. It was value for money & the service is fairly good.
Rooms are comfortable & spacious with all modern facilities. The hotel is really attractive & lovely in the nigh with all
The lightings. Experimental dishes are there at your choice but the selections were minimum if you go through the set menu.

I hope this Hotel is one of the best locations in this side of the country. If you really want to try out a peaceful stay with high
Hospitality you better try this out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family