“Instantly home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Burgbernheim B&B and Inns
Seoul, South Korea
“Instantly home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I found the Waldgasthof because I was looking for a place to stay during a business trip while travelling on a tight budget. I was attracted at first by cost, then by the positive reviews, and thought I would give it a shot. I speak absolutely no German, but this was not a problem. A friendly young man answered my questions on the phone, sent me a confirmation email in English, and was there to greet me when we arrived. The drive up to the hotel was almost creepy. It is located in a forest, and a cold winter fog hung in the trees, adding an aura of phantasmal isolation to hotel. The warm lights of the hotel were a welcome sight! I was travelling with two coworkers, and we each wanted our own room. Our company policy directs us to share a room to save money, but a single room at the Waldgasthof is less than half the price of a double room in Bad Windsheim, so we were all quite pleased and able to room separately. The building is historic, so expect creaky floors, and sounds which carry, but it is clean, newly renovated and well heated. No drafts or unpleasantness to be found. Warm clean beds, a spacious room and clean bathrooms.
While the history of the place boasts a bath house and spa, there is not currently anything of the sort. The three famous fountains are just artesian springs which bubble into decorative ponds outside. Don't get me wrong. The clear spring water is delicious.
Absolutely do not miss out on the restaurant downstairs. It boasts a warm room with crackling fireplace, cozy dining environment and a small community atmosphere that makes you feel like a local, even if you have no idea what anyone is saying. The senior Frau Hofmann was our waitress for the evening, and even with the language barrier we enjoyed friendly conversation. I have no idea what was said, but it was friendly and I felt at home. The food is superb! The local specialties are delectable, prepared perfectly, and caused me to bring my wife back for dinner the next night. I will go back to the Waldgasthof Wildbad at every opportunity.

Room Tip: Even a single room is spacious. If you get hot easily at night, choose a room which is further away...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Our annual trip to Germany is never complete without visiting this romantic classic. The food is home cooked and will strike all taste buds. A complete menu of standard German fare as well as "wild" game. The location is perfect for walking trails through the forest. This place is hundreds of years old but gorgeous inside to include a real wood burning fireplace. large selection of wines also. Prices are not expensive. Don't miss this one!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kodiak72
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

I found this place by accident and I am so glad I found them! On our recent trip to Germany we stayed at 5 different places and this one is the winner! It's only minutes away from Rottenburg on Tauber (which was my absolute favorite place in Germany, but that is a separate review :). You can easily visit Nuremberg, Wurzburg and even Munich. The owners speak English, which was very helpful to us. Our previous stay was at a castle in a room so small that we could barely move around. What a difference here! The room was spacious and very quiet (you are in the woods and the hiking trails start right at your door step), the breakfast, which was included in the room rate, was plentiful and delicious and the hosts were absolutely delightful. They have a fabulous restaurant. The chef (owner's son) is awesome! They served us the best German food there. Don't miss the cream of asparagus soup, venison in wine sauce and Pork Gordon Blue (I had it several times throughout Germany and this was the absolute best! They put smoked ham inside. Yum!) Chef's young beautiful wife Nina was so lovely and she took a great care of us. that kid works around the clock.

This is a historic inn that dates back to 1400s. The legend says it was founded once the healing springs were discovered at that site. Well, you'll be taking showers with that healing spring water! The place was a SPA before the war. After the war it was a training camp site for Nazi hunters. Everything is full of history and the owners are happy to tell the stories. If you are looking for a place to stay in this area- stay there!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
6 Thank Ana_NJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burgbernheim
Hotel Eisenhut
#1 of 1 in Marktbergel
Hotel Burg Colmberg
Hotel Burg Colmberg
#1 of 1 in Colmberg

Been to Waldgasthof Wildbad? Share your experiences!