“Excellent!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nunney
Dorset
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

booked for an evening meal and it was fabulous - wide choice on the menu, very well cooked and presented. The staff were very friendly and we will definitely go back another time. The cheeseboard was fantastic!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Excellent food chosen from a wide menu selection, cooked to perfection in comfortable and warm surroundings. Friendly and very helpful staff who made us feel very welcome. An experience to be repeated in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Devon
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed at the George for four nights on a short break, the main aim of which was to visit Longleat and Stourhead.

I received a warm welcome on arrival and was shown through what appeared to be a rabbit warren of corridors (in a pleasant way) to my room, which was at the far back of the inn on the first floor. I was very grateful as I got to know the inn for directional notices everywhere! The building does retain some of its original character, which is good. It is a shame that fire regulations mean endless fire doors to negotiate to get to one's room, which also spoil the building's appearance upstairs, but that is not the inn's fault.

The room was pleasant and very clean and was a good size for me. I searched high and low for the remote for the TV without success. As there is no telephone in the room and it was so far from reception and I had had a long journey and was tired, I waited until going down for my evening meal before querying this. I was told the previous occupants had taken the remote with them and they had not been able to find a spare. On expressing my disappointment at this (it really is not a lot of fun standing in a corner squinting at controls and trying to find something interesting to watch when all you want to do is put your feet up and relax!) I was assured there would be a remote in my room by the following evening. I was delighted the following evening on my return to discover an extra TV with remote! Full marks! But it would have been nice to have been told of the lack of remote when I arrived perhaps? Just a thought...

The bathroom was perfectly adequate and clean. My one query with it is that there was only a net curtain at the window. Although the window was not overly large, it overlooked the garden area and rear of neighbouring property and I never could bring myself to have a shower if I needed to have the light on! So I showered in daylight!

There is a problem with noise from adjacent rooms and the room above, which is not unusual in such old buildings. I was woken early on three out of four mornings by noise, once from the adjacent room and twice from the room above, but I am a light sleeper. The clunking from people walking around above was very noticeable, but I have experienced worse noise in other hotels.

The staff at the inn were friendly and helpful. I dined there every night and the food was very good and reasonable. Can recommend the game pie, Brixham fish pie and fillet of hake. The lamb had too much fat for my taste and was a bit chewy, but that could be a personal thing. The soup and pie were the only items that changed during my stay. The daily specials stayed the same, as did the selection of vegetables. It would be nice to have a bit of variety in the latter as by night four I was longing for some different ones! The service in the restaurant area was friendly but a bit variable regarding length of wait, which is something that could be watched.

The breakfast had a good variety. There was the usual array of cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit and a choice of beverages. You could also order a full English and other alternatives, including kippers, Scottish haddock, boiled eggs with toast soldiers, etc. The food was well cooked and enjoyable and service was good.

The incident which marred my stay was down to a maintenance problem. On the Tuesday I was doing my long awaited trip to Longleat (been wanting to go for many, many years) and I had splashed out on a VIP tour so it was the one day I had to abide by times and needed to get there asap to see everything and do my tour. When I opened the bathroom door in the morning it stuck and I had to push hard to get it to open. Unthinkingly, I closed it behind me as usual. When I went to leave, the door would not open. I pulled a couple of times, but nothing. I put both hands on the handle, turned it and pulled as hard as I could. The handle shot off, sending my catapulting across the bathroom and hitting the wall behind. I was shocked and realised I now couldn't get out. On looking at the handle I discovered there had been only two screws, not four, and one in particular was very short and didn't look as if it had been holding anyway. I hammered on the door and shouted for help, but noone heard or came. I began to panic as I saw my long awaited day at Longleat under threat. (It also wasn't very nice being trapped in a small room!) There was a window with an opening portion at the top, so I clambered on the toilet and onto the ledge under the window, opened the top section and yelled out for help. By pure chance (or a miracle!) the cleaner happened to be walking underneath in the garden at that precise moment. The weather was awful so I really was not expecting anyone to be there, as the garden hadn't been used up until then as far as I'd seen because of it. But she came and let me out, which was such a relief. My one thought was to get away to Longleat as fast as possible. It was only as I started driving that I realised I had hurt my hand, making holding the steering wheel painful, but that had eased by the evening. But the realisation of what could have happened dawned as I drove. If I had gone backwards an inch to the left I would have fallen into the shower, or an inch to the righ I would have fallen over the toilet, and could have been so badly injured. I suddenly found myself bawling as I drove... delayed shock I presume. I was so grateful that I had a wonderful day at Longleat, which helped dispel the horrible feeling. Never again will I laugh at someone getting locked in the loo!!

The staff were all very sympathetic about the incident, but as the days went by and the realisation of how lucky I had been increased I began to think it would have been nice to have been offered something by way of compensation for what I had been through - the evening meal that night, for example. I thought perhaps they might offer something off my bill when I checked out. Yes, of course, that was it! But no. I plucked up courage and told the lady at check out that I thought it would have been a nice gesture to have been offered something in compensation, such as a meal, and she then offered to deduct the price of one of my meals from the bill. It was only about £12 anyway!

It is now a week since I left and the feeling of being lucky but thinking it a shame that customer relations didn't stretch to offering some sort of compensation without me saying anything (which is against my nature) has increased. I don't think it would stop me staying there again (but not in the same room as it has memories and I never did manage to make myself close the bathroom door after, even though the handle had been reattached with four screws!) as I liked the building, the staff and village and my stay in general, and I would hope it was just a one-off event.

The George Inn is a lovely old building set in a pretty, historic village complete with castle ruins, river and interesting church. There is a Spar shop in the village and there are pleasant footpaths to walk when the weather is better than when I was there! The village is only a couple of miles from Frome and is in a convenient position to be used as a base to explore the area. There is a car park behind the inn and also parking across the road from it in a designated area.

Room Tip: Room 9 is on the first floor and is the furthest from reception on that floor, being at the far end...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Anndante
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The title really sums it up.

Reception staff were excellent & caring.

Dinner was typical of a gastro-pub; no complaint whatsoever, except the wine list could be somewhat larger. I'm not sure I could bring a vegan friend though!

Our rooms were somewhat of a let down, small and somewhat basic, but clean. No telephone in the rooms & the internet connection was very slow & somewhat erratic.

Breakfast was excellent; again service was good.

Clearly the proprietor has a program of rolling modernisation & improvement - I look forward to enjoying the finished product.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I were on our way down to Longleat for a day out my children had bought me for my birthday. We were initially going to drive down after work Thursday night and sleep in the Holiday Inn as we had to leave early in the morning, but after 5 attempts at booking on-line we gave up. We had heard of The George at Nunney on a previous visit and thought we'd try it. The booking went through very easily and was far cheaper than we expected, not much more than Holiday Inn and including a Full English breakfast and a large suite with a four-poster bed.
We were so impressed that we took the afternoon off work and dined there on the night before. The food was excellent as was the service and atmosphere.
We will certainly be going here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank billshaw53
Cheddar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My partner and i stayed here on Sunday night - a quick get away overnight kind of thing!
We had a wonderful meal (soup was parsnip and apple - so seasonal and so fresh) in the evening the quality and presentation of the food is beyond excellent
We stayed in room 6 which i must say was spotless and had a lovely comfy bed - we stay here LOTS and we know they have lovely rooms with huge en - suites and better equipped than this room but they were full and had quite a lot of families in so i guess the larger rooms had gone to them which we totally understand of course
My partner is on the .........larger........side and he had a real problem getting in and out of the shower !! it was rather snug !! We love this gastro pub and always look forward to staying with them - we are back in November - but i will always ask for a bath en - suite !!
The breakfast here i s really good my Partner had smoked haddock with poached egg - i am veggie no fish but i must say it looked well done and he really enjoyed it
i would always recommend this pub for food / drinks /and rooms (but perhaps not 6!!!!!)

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs rooms (if you are "mobile"!) and ones with a bath
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 50sammy2
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just back from 2 night stay at the George visiting the area to visit Longleat. Requested 2 rooms side by side both with a bath however we got separate rooms with showers not baths.
Spoke to the staff and was informed that there was no other room available and this is the rooms the computer had allocated to us.
Rooms are a bit 'shabby' but spotlessly clean and okay for a couple of nights.

We found the staff friendly and only too eager to please. We ate both nights in the bar downstairs and the food is out of this world. We all had something different and enjoyed everything we ordered. The food is defiantly a lot more than pub grub it was perfect.
Breakfast service was a bit slow but worth the wait and again the staff were good and keen to please.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are above the kitchen
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gina D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nunney
Premier Inn Frome Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beckington
George Hotel
George Hotel
#6 of 32 in Frome

Been to The George at Nunney? Share your experiences!