The Retreat at Rum Point
US$470
US$282
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$168
Sunshine Suites Resort(Seven Mile Beach)(Great Value!)
US$264
US$258
US$619
US$564
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman(Seven Mile Beach)
US$1,007
US$946
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
US$908
US$798
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort(Seven Mile Beach)
US$599
US$549
TripAdvisor
Grand Caymanian Vacations(Grand Cayman)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswreck barright next doorsting ray cityrum pointred sail sportsgrand caymangreat snorkelingthe kitchenlaid backdive shopseven mile beachoff seasonwater sportscomforts of homeexploring the islandfew stepsglass bottom boat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My wife and I stayed in Retreat #19 May 24 - Jun 1, 2011 for our honeymoon. The place was wonderful. Spacious Great Room, huge screened in deck, and everything sparkling clean. (All the places here have screened in decks/patios - the mosquitos come out as the sun goes down and drive everyone from the beach.) There were many nice touches, including a bin of water on rug to rinse the sand/salt off your feet before entering the condo.

The staff was very helpful - whatever we asked for (DVDs, fix the DVD player, etc.) they provided (except a can opener - we never did get one). The kitchenware was adequate - dishes were new, but pots and pans need replacing. That said, we still were able to prepare our own meals as desired.

The location was about perfect for us. The Retreat is nice and quiet, very private, but activities at Rum Point were right next door! We could walk 100 yds on the beach to the Wreck Bar and Grill, the Restaurant, Dive Shop, Gift Shop, etc. The catamaran cruise to StingRay City left from the dock there as well.

We set-up two dives through the dive shop, who directed us to their location at Morritt's on the East End - about a 25 minute drive - no problem. The diving was great!

We explored the Kaibo Beach Club, the East End, and 7 Mile Beach. If we return to Grand Cayman, we'll go right back to Rum Point. We liked the beach there the best, and along with the serenity when desired, and the other activities right around the corner, we thought it was perfect!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SWGuy
Reviewed 18 January 2011

My two best friends and I stayed for 6 nights at retreat #33 to celebrate a 40th birthday. What a great condo! It is spacious, very clean, and truly felt like a home away from home. From the moment we stepped through the door, we knew this was a great choice. The place is even better than the website, and I can't say enough about the view! I was a little nervous to book through a private party (vrbo #159049), but as soon as I spoke to Belle (the owner) I felt completely at ease. In addition to being helpful and prompt in all communications, she is such a warm and friendly person. I really enjoyed speaking with her and felt as if it was important to her that we had a great vacation, not just because we were renting from her, but that she's just that kind of person.
Rum Point is the perfect place to relax, and relax we did. Most of the time we had the Retreat beach all to ourselves. When we did see someone else, interactions were so laid back and friendly, opposite from typical congested resort areas. Actually, we never even made it to Seven Mile Beach, we were so content here. The Retreat at Rum Point has the best of both worlds--privacy when you want it, or just a very short walk away you have access to a restaurant, bar, gift shop, and water sports.
Recommendations: Rent a car from McCurley's Tours and Taxi Service (345-947-9626; mccurley@cwhiptop.com). They have a booth at the airport and they drive you out to Rum Point (on the way they will make a stop at the grocery store if needed), where your rental car is waiting for you in the parking lot. At the end of your trip, you just leave the car in the Retreat parking lot, and they drive you back to the airport. It was by far the easiest car rental experience I've ever had. Also, going to the Stingray Sandbar with Captain Jimmy is a must. Playing with the stingrays is one of the coolest things I've ever done on vacation. It lives up to the hype! We debated about going on a catamaran or the glass bottom boat. We were very pleased with our choice of the boat. It was a much more personal experience than we witnessed others having that came on the larger catamarans.Captain Jimmy was very knowledgeable and Novelette (his assistant) was a gem. She took at least 30 pictures of us with our camera, and they came out so nice. Another tip-make sure to check the cruise ship schedules and plan accordingly. It can get quite crowded at the sandbar.
I highly recommend Retreat #33, and Belle definitely added to the great overall experience. We were looking for a low-key place to relax and unwind, and the Retreat at Rum Point fit the bill perfectly. What a find!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank tgsmom
Reviewed 29 December 2010

We stayed in unit 16, which is a third floor, one bedroom condo with an ocean view. It also features a very spacious screened deck. Each unit is individually owned so the furnishings and quality could vary. Our unit was very well appointed and comfortable. The only item I found myself wishing for during our ten days was a small cooler.

The facility has a pool at the rear of the property next to the tennis courts. It also has a very very small workout room which had a treadmill, a glider, a small incline bench and about 50 pounds of dumbells. The beach is small but sandy and perfect for small children. Older kids wanting to crash into waves may be disappointed. The beach is great for beginning snorklers and those with a little more reach can swim to the east around the point to see more coral/fish.

Rum Point is right next door. This is an attraction for day trippers and never bothered us at all. In fact, we would walk over there to see what was going on and maybe grab a sandwich. However, we learned quickly that our beer, wine and pop we had back at the condo were much more economical! There is a Red Sail Sports 'branch' located at Rum Point which we used to book a two tank dive. Everything was professionally handled and went very smoothly. They also have a small gift shop over there and we bought a few things.

If you are going to stay here, you will need a car. There is a small local grocery about 4.5 miles up the road in Northside and another dining option at Kaibo Yaught Club about 1.25 miles in the other direction. As we arrived on a Sunday, having our groceries delievered by caymanshoppers.com was very convenient and highly recommended.

The grounds are well taken care of with plenty of parking and it is well lit at night. Rum Point closes down around 5 with just their formal restaurant open in the evenings. Never heard anything from over there.

This is not a 'happening' place. It was great for us to come home to everyday after exploring, diving, snorkling whatever we decided to do. I would recommend it to anyone who wants the comforts they enjoy at home, but with a tropical flare!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bearcatfans
Reviewed 12 August 2010

The Retreat #22

I stayed with my husband and 2 girls, aged 10 & 13, at the Retreat #22, which is a 3rd floor, 2 bedroom unit, from the last couple days of June through the first week of July 2010. We had a wonderful stay there, and were very happy with the choice. The condo was very comfortable, the views were fabulous, and the beach was right outside our door.

I chose the Retreat after a lot of research, after having decided on staying in the Rum Point area, also after a lot of research. I had a number of criteria for a location. I wanted a place that was relaxed and uncrowded, where there was good snorkeling from the beach, where there was busy, lively activity close by, and where there was a choice of beachfront homes or condos available within our budget and with my 2 must-haves for any beach rental in summer: air conditioning and a washer and dryer. This led me to Rum Point.

I looked at many rentals in the Rum Point area, most of which I found on VRBO and HomeAway, and ended up settling on finding one at the Retreat for a number of reasons. One of these was its setting right on the Point, which gives wide water views from the condos with a choice of looking westward or north and eastward. Its proximity to the Rum Point Beach and the well-known and much –photographed Rum Point Dock, with all of their activity and people coming and going (immediately next door), would be fun, especially for my 13-year-old. The trees that overhang the water’s edge on part of the beach, giving the choice of shaded beach or not, appealed to me as well. From my reading I knew that the Retreat had been given a recent major facelift on the outside and remodeling of many (all?) of the units on the inside. Each of the units that I found for rental (the ones I was looking at were 2 bedroom, 2 bath) had lots of photos which showed units that were well appointed and well furnished, with beautiful views of the water that was just outside. I settled on #22 because the bedrooms were set up the way we needed (big bed in the master, twins in the second), I liked the view to the north and east, and though we had the stairs to the 3rd floor, the rent was quite reasonable and the terms (i.e. method and times of payment) were easy and straightforward.

In making the arrangements, Mr. Bodden, the owner, was very accommodating. I wanted to be able to come and go on odd days (in on a Tuesday, out on a Thursday a week later) in order to take advantage of a great airfare. I had to ask that we go through a couple iterations of inquiries about availability based on airfares, and he was very nice and understanding while I found the combination that worked for both of us.

When we actually got there, I found everything as it was described and pictured on the web and by the owner of #22, but the descriptions and pictures of both inside and out could not do it justice. The grounds of the Retreat are beautifully landscaped and well cared for, quite lovely to see when leaving the condo to go downstairs. There are two showers for rinsing off, one at each of the walkways that come in from the beach. Pictures I had seen of the walkways to the buildings from the parking lot had left me with the impression of a much longer walk than it actually is, so the shorter walk was a nice surprise.

The furnishings in #22 were in beautiful condition, and the beds had very nice mattresses; the kitchen was equipped with a set of high quality nonstick pots and pans, various baking and broiling pans, mixing and serving bowls, and cooking utensils, all in great condition. The kitchen seemed to be well thought out, covering just about anything a cook would need. My one quibble was that the cooking and prep knives desperately needed replacing – though I always bring one with me to vacation rentals. There was a good variety of glassware and some nice acrylic drinkware, and a nice set of dishes, including good coffee mugs. There was a nice stock of good beach towels, and plenty of extra bath towels and sheets in the linen closets. There was an individual thermostat for the condo.

What a beautiful view we had! The windows were full of the water view with those stunning Caribbean colors, both straight ahead from the kitchen and dining area and out of the windows on the right, looking east. There can be no better view on the island than that. (That view and the screened porch saved me on our couple of lousy weather days, when I would spend an hour or more at a stretch sitting out there (with a beer) listening to the rain and thunder and watching the sky and water.) Other units I looked at for vacation rentals looked westward, and so had a view of Rum Point Beach and the dock, and got sunsets. The buildings of the Retreat are beachfront, so whatever your unit there you are steps from the sand between your toes and a chaise to move where you want it on the property or just take it where you find it.

The beach areas in front of the Retreat are small and charming, dotted with rocks and trees. It was wonderful to have chairs right at the water’s edge and watch what your kids were doing; and along the beach where the trees are were little tidal pools with a variety of small creatures that both of my girls enjoyed finding and watching. There is fun snorkeling right in front of the Retreat, and it gets better as you swim further out. My girls are older now, but it was not that long ago when they needed a more watchful eye around water, and I would have found this ideal for them when they were small. Lots to see and look for right at the water’s edge, and very shallow water for a ways out with no current to speak of, so you really could sit and watch them and not worry about drop offs or undertows. Worth noting: the nooks and crannies where the pools are, and the spots in the water where there are rocks, would make water shoes or booties a good idea for little (or not so little) ones.

If you are looking for an expanse of beach, it is right next door at the Rum Point Beach, where there are a lot of chairs and a roped-off swimming area with a lifeguard (at certain times of day). The Retreat property and the Rum Point Beach property are separated by a tangle of tree roots that sort of form steps up and over on shore, and the Rum Point dock in the water.

The Retreat has on-site management, which I read is not true of all condos on GC. There were a couple of times when I needed help, and Gigi in the office there was wonderfully pleasant, businesslike, and responsive. Our first day there I was looking for the unit’s wifi, and it was not showing up, at least by the name given to me. I called Gigi in the office, and she told me she would send someone up. I was thinking it might be a while if we were on “island time”, so I asked her how long it would be, and she said 10 minutes. Sure enough, no more than 10 minutes later a man came up to help, and took care of the problem. Another time, the blender container broke while I was using it, and when I called (thinking I was just reporting that I broke something in the unit), she sent someone up with a replacement blender. I called her to ask questions about the area, and about matters like recycling instructions. It was *very* nice to have her there as a resource and help when we needed it.

Speaking of wifi, it also was a very pleasant surprise that the unit’s wifi was secure – it was not clear to me before arriving whether it was public or private, but it was private, secure, and fast.

If asked whether there was something I wished the unit had that it didn’t, I would say a drying rack for damp beach towels and to air dry washed bathing suits. But this is a small thing. We were delighted with our location and situation at the Retreat, and with our accommodations at #22 in particular. When we come to Grand Cayman again, we will be at the Retreat.

P.S. Cayman Kai Vacation Rentals has a great page on the Retreat, which is a great way to orient yourself to the condos, see floorplans, and see where each one is and thus what view it will have. The web address: www.caymankaivacationrentals.com/TheRetreat.htm

Sorry no photos - don't have any that don't include my kids. But mine aren't any better than the many great ones available on the Web already.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank hankdogDC
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We selected the Retreat because of its location "away from it all", and were very pleased. Our condo was well appointed with everything we could have asked for. Even with the tropical depression rolling through, we spent many enjoyable hours on the beach. With 4 young children we were looking for a place where we didn't have to be in the water with them at every second, and the shallow, clean waters off Rum Point were just what we were looking for. The only downside was the sea grass that was washed up on the beach (not sure if that was more than normal due to the storm), however it was raked up on our last day there. The staff was helpful whenever we needed them; they even arranged a babysitter for us one night. Red Sail offers trips out to Sting Ray City from next door, and even when they were busy, our beach was not. Overall, we loved our stay northside...just what we were looking for.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family